So Lets Talk Differential Lockers - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 26th, 2014, 11:41 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
I have always liked Detroit rear ARB front even if you have compressor failure you still have the Detroit.

My experience has been a selectable locker up front is very important on tight muddy trails and even more so on the Ice and snow . I have run the Detroit / Truetrac setup and its fine in most situations but very unpredictable at highway speeds in the ice and snow or side hilling on slick surfaces.

In my winch challenge days we would use the front locker very little and when we did it was off and on several times a minute taking a beating and never had a failure . My current setup is RD 128s front and rear with no problems at all . in fact I have twisted a couple axle shafts not stock ones and the ARBs have held up just fine. Of course im running 37s and that might have had something to do with it .

Not a fan of the truetrac front on a full time rig ,but to each there own that's just my .02 .

Cheers Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2014, 01:04 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I wish Keith was making the Toy conversion still as I would say the Toyota E-locker is a really trick setup. Although if I was to do it again, I would look towards either an Ashcroft air or KAM for the front.

But for the rear the Toyota setup was a pretty straight forward install and the locking mechanism can be engaged/disengaged by undoing 2 bolts and sliding a small shaft over if the wiring gives up ghost. Keith's Toy axle makes the stock Rover axle look pretty pathetic.

I haven't looked at prices in a while but I believe a 4.1 Toy E-Locker complete 3rd is the same price as a built 4.1 Rover 3rd with an ARB.
Old January 27th, 2014, 03:14 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Can't tell for sure but it looks like the Ashcroft isn't available for the 110 Sals axles.

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co...ft-locker.html

/
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2014, 04:03 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Can't tell for sure but it looks like the Ashcroft isn't available for the 110 Sals axles. http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co...ft-locker.html
It's not. Sadly why I am building a rear HD Rover axle for my 110 vice a Sals.

Semper Fi!
Old January 27th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

There is a reason Manufactures put in selectable lockers in new trucks. If you just use your truck off road it is one thing. However if you do any dry pavement a "always on locker" can provide some negative impacts while a selectable locker will not.
Old January 27th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
So, I see a trend here. The Ashcroft seems to get the most thumbs up, price and build quality. They all seem to work as advertised. On the spline count, when did the Defenders switch to 24 spline vice 10. Lord knows I wasted enough of the 10 spline ones on the series vehicles (used to carry a set of spare rear ones behind the seat, next to the starting handle). Without pulling mine, a 97 NAS, which count does the collective believe I have? I suppose I may pass on upgrading the gearing for now.

Who likes what compressor, and where do they mount them, preferably?
Old January 27th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Archbronco
Josh
1983 Land Rover 110

I hope you guys are not picking gears at random. Gearing has to take into account engine, tire size, transmission etc.... I guess if you eliminate those variables and simply assume it's a stockish LR, than that may be more reasonable. Perhaps that's why I am seeing a lot of 4.11 recommendations. Take time to plan that out based on your particular build. As for lockers, Detroit's are near bulletproof but have questionable manners on the street (especially corners). ARB is my preferred locker in most circumstance.
Old January 27th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The switch to 24 spline was around 1993. Regardless you need aftermarket shafts. The stock 24 spline shafts are the same strength as the stock 10 spline shafts. Also plan on drive flanges.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 27th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Can't tell for sure but it looks like the Ashcroft isn't available for the 110 Sals axles.

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co...ft-locker.html
Yes, but the Salisbury ARB locker is fine.

Old January 27th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
There is a reason Manufactures put in selectable lockers in new trucks. If you just use your truck off road it is one thing. However if you do any dry pavement a "always on locker" can provide some negative impacts while a selectable locker will not.
I've been running a Detroit for many years. You can't tell it is in there on the road, ever.

Old January 27th, 2014, 01:26 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbronco View Post
I hope you guys are not picking gears at random. Gearing has to take into account engine, tire size, transmission etc.... I guess if you eliminate those variables and simply assume it's a stockish LR, than that may be more reasonable. Perhaps that's why I am seeing a lot of 4.11 recommendations. Take time to plan that out based on your particular build. As for lockers, Detroit's are near bulletproof but have questionable manners on the street (especially corners). ARB is my preferred locker in most circumstance.
I used Ashcrofts calculator to determine what gears I went with.
http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co...atio_calc.html
Though I think 4.11/4.12 gears are common because many trucks run the same size tires, TC, etc.

I thought Detroits were far from bulletproof? I have a friend that jacked up his Detroit in Colorado last year and for 1000 miles home it wouldn't unlock in turns. By the time you look into the parts and labor to repair a Detroit you might as buy a new one.
Old January 27th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Capt Milks
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I've been running a Detroit for many years. You can't tell it is in there on the road, ever.
I find it hard to believe that you have not noticed them on the street. A lot of people run them on the street and like them, like you do. Not saying they are bad just that they are a little different.
Old January 27th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I find it hard to believe that you have not noticed them on the street. A lot of people run them on the street and like them, like you do. Not saying they are bad just that they are a little different.
So you have used them on a full time four wheel drive and noticed them? Or are you web wheeling? You can't tell it is there.

Old January 27th, 2014, 02:40 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Here's a text from one of my customers wanting a rear Detroit removed from his rover . He was joking of course about the corvette , He says it unlocks on occasion and when it locks and scares him and his wife. Going to install a true trac for him .

He notices his LOL.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3594908643.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	88669
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old January 27th, 2014, 02:57 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Detroit / TT in the Disco for years now.

Yes, it can be a little unpredictable at highway speed on the slick stuff.

Mine is almost invisible on the street...only a little clicking on back up and the occasional squeaky hop around the corner.

But it's point it and drive with the automatic off-road

Okay...I'll admit, there are indeed times when it would be handy to unlock them...just not most of the time.
Old January 27th, 2014, 03:00 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
I had a Detroit in my Disco, and I will put one in my 110 too. Only time I ever noticed was making a U-turn in front of my house. The locker would make a barely perceptible pop. Other than that I never even noticed it was there. Driving all over some pretty tough terrain in Utah, I never even noticed it.

I like the idea of a "drive-and-forget" locker. The Detroit just works
Old January 27th, 2014, 03:32 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
James, you might give Bill at Great Basin Rovers a shout. Great guy with a great deal of experience and excellent customer service. About nine years ago I was trying to decide which set up to go with. Bill was a great deal if help. He provided lots of information for me to consider and I ultimately decided to go 4:11/TT/Detroit in my 97D. I've use my truck daily and I've racked up 90,000 miles with no issues/concerns/complaints/repairs. Clay

Old January 27th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Capt Milks
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
So you have used them on a full time four wheel drive and noticed them? Or are you web wheeling? You can't tell it is there.
Nope I wheel a lot. Never heard of anybody not noticing they had a non-selectable locker on the street and I wheel with a bunch of guys that heave them.
Old January 27th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Nope I wheel a lot. Never heard of anybody not noticing they had a non-selectable locker on the street and I wheel with a bunch of guys that heave them.
Full time or part time 4WD guys? It makes a difference. A Detroit in 2WD is not a Detroit in 4WD.

Old January 27th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
I think I will keep it simple for now. The defender is a backup for my oversized exploration truck, which I have to export full time down to Mexico. I used the ARB a on a South African rig when I was doing a project in Zambia. It worked fine for the few times we needed to lock it up.

Most of the difficult things I do is ground truth what the instruments tell me in the aircraft. So usually I drive up river washes and beat on a few rocks. Sometimes I break out the 2d Seismic thumper and attach it to the receiver point and hammer away at the ground to get a picture of the structure below. So occasionally I need to get through some unpredicted soft spots. I don't rock crawl, I walk over them. Sometimes I just bring my mountain bike to get to where I need to look.

I had a VW Syncro Westfalia for a time. It had three lockers and a viscous coupler system. You could lock the front to rear, rear and front axels. Normally the VC did the coupling from front to rear on the full time pavement settings. Very capable off road, but too high for some work with the pop top and the vehicle was a tad to delicate for day to day operations. All the locking was controlled by small pneumatic actuators which where external to the diffs and ran off the vacuum system fed from an accumulator tank,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
differential