Snowboard Rack - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 27th, 2008, 01:50 AM
bennett
Bennett
'97 Defender 90 Soft Top #1140

Registry
Snowboard Rack

Anyone have any tips on the best snowboard storage method for a soft top D90? Yakima and Thule racks mounted to the tubing on the outside dont clear the soft top, and hitch mounts dont clear the tire (hitch extenders are somewhat noisey). Im thinking about getting a half tonneau and mounting towers over it like a pickup bed rack, but im not sure where i'd mount the towers regardless.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2008, 10:29 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Is your issue the bars not clearing the top or your snowboard binidings? If it is bars then get the Yakima rack for the Nissan Exterra with the extenders. The extender is a little pice that lets the bars sit higher. Both bars moutn to the front exterior roll cage. I use this rack on my ST with mounts for skis and my ski box. I can't remember the name of this rack but it wasn't hard to find, at least in Denver.

Alex
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:24 AM
JBfoot
Joe Barefoot
'94 D90, '07 D110, '08 LR2, '09 D90

I had to buy the Exterra rack and then also a second rack to get the extenders. I then used the two to make the proper extended rack. I was able to piece back the remaining racks to make a nonextended gutter rack. I plan to sell that to make some of my money back. It seems you can buy the extenders and the part to fit around your bars, just not as a single unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2008, 11:33 AM
bennett
Bennett

Registry
thanks guys

Any idea what these parts are called? Are there towers involved, or does the Xterra rack attach directly to the extenders, which attach to the tubing?

Thanks again
bbc
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:21 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Snowboard - you still have snow out there? Or are you going up to one of the camps up north?

I would just keep the board inside the truck - it sounds like you would have the room if you were talking a half tonneau cover. A mid size board should fit on one of the sides or along the back between the seat and tailgate. I started keeping my family and my boards and skis inside when the edges, bottoms and tops would get snotted up after the drive to the mtn. Even on short trips the salt and road grim get to them quick. And no need to worry about melted snow in the interior of a 90.
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:56 PM
bennett
Bennett

Registry
Just planning ahead

My boards are too long for the bed, so im trying to figure out how ill carry them before i order a top from Badger. Some of my boards wont even fit diagonally, so better to figure this out now
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:12 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I've also thought of a rack in the truck. Assuming you would be using the full soft top. I thought of using two of the Thule (Yakima made them too) side thingys that look like fingers. I figured that two of them could be attached to the cage and then the boards would run the length of the truck. Granted I am not all that tall and I was thinking skis. I alse thought that there should be some way to create a rack like this in the center. I once had a jeep that came with a surfboard mount (being the pacifist vegetarian that I am I always assumed it was for surf boards and not guns) where the center console mounts in our trucks. I prefer the idea of keeping my gear inside but I can't fit my truck in the garage with any kind of rack on it. Gotta love a 1920's house.

As to the Yakima rack I was able to get the rack at the store and order the extenders- so I didn't have the two rack issue.

Alex
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

I think Yakima calls the 3" extensions High Risers or Towers....they work, I have a set for my racks and they clear the soft top
Old June 28th, 2008, 04:30 PM
bennett
Bennett

Registry
What are you using to attach the high rise towers to the tubing? any idea what the part is called? I cant find anything online, and i checked with thule and yakima and they had no idea.

Thanks
Old June 28th, 2008, 06:58 PM
bjp
Brent
1995 D90

http://www.roverconnection.com/

Click on the defender, then on the roof rack icon. The mounts are on the bottom of the page, still in stock.

Dealing with the same isssue. I am contemplating getting the ladder, and putting a shuttle on top. Do not want my skis to get messed up put hate to loose the room inside if someone comes along.
Old June 28th, 2008, 07:57 PM
bennett
Bennett

Registry
Thanks Brent. Just sent them an email to see what towers the mounting brackets will work with. Great find
Old June 28th, 2008, 10:44 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
dont some of the big names make something that will work with the receiver hitch?
Old June 28th, 2008, 11:47 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
The Yakima mounts I was refering to have been discontinued from what I can tell. I have found if you look around at rack shops they normally have used section.

We are moving this week so I'll look at the box when I get it out of the garage and let you know what they were called.

Hightowers are the extenders for the mount to the bars, to clear the top properly. The mounts themselves have a round clip that is tightened with an allen wrench around the roll cage vs the usual tower that installs in the rain gutter or other part of the rack.
http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?Number=8000104

Alex
Old June 29th, 2008, 03:28 AM
bennett
Bennett

Registry
Thanks Alexandra

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack