Snorkel securing attachment - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:20 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Snorkel securing attachment

I am making my own snorkel. I just received my mushroom cap from Paddock's (about $40 shipped from England) and had a local muffler shop bend up some 2.5" tubing ($50) and got some flexible intake hose for under the hood from checker ($30). Now all I need is to secure it to the windscreen (I do NOT have a cage) and I was wondering if any of you know how to do this (especially a picture). I am thinking to either drill through the aluminum frame and use a bolt (small diameter) or to drill and top the frame, or to drill and use an insert. How does Mantec do theirs for the non-NAS? Help is appreciated. I will post pics when I am done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2005, 09:21 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Check out the pics!

http://www.roverworld.com/mantec.htm

Looks like they use some angle to hold it to the wind screen, you can see it in the last pic only 2 holes in it. Don't you think 2.5" is a little small?
Old June 4th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I don't know if 2.5" is too small. It might be, in which case I will redo it--no biggie. The snorkel head is 2.5", and the mantec tube is 2.5". I look at the stock snorkel on the engine and it is pretty small. We will see. Many people that I trust have said no problem. Why do you think it might be small?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I think the pipe on mine is about 3.5-4" same with the tube under the hood going to the air filter then from the air filter to the plenum it's 3". I just figured better air flow, but if it doesn't make any differance in preformance then go with it.
Old June 4th, 2005, 05:15 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
mud.co.uk (mudstuff.co.uk?) Sells a stainless kit designed for mounting snorkels to the windsheild frame. I think its pretty cheap.
Old June 7th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Mike,

You say that your tube is 3.5-4" diameter--could you measure it for me? I got some 4" diameter for under the hood and there is no chance in hell of it fitting--wasted money on my part. I think 3" is the max that I could fit, possibly 3.5 if it is squishable. Thanks!
Old June 7th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

DOH! It's 3" sotrry for being missleading. I thought it was bigger because I bought some 3" to go from the MAF to the plenum and the other stuff looks allot bigger but it's because it's a bit thicker.
Old June 7th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Thanks Mike--
Old June 7th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Here is a quick mock up shot. I have not adjusted the height of the cap yet. I used stainless for the mounting plate on the wing but it was so friggin hard to work with I cut it in half to cut the circle for the tube to pass through and then re-welded it back together and welded the snorkel to it. The snorkel is held on by that plate, and attachment that I made about 1/4 of the way up the windscreen and then at the top to the gutter. It is bent 2.5" tubing from a muffler shop and 3" under the hood (this part not done yet). If I notice any constriction of flow, I will redo the tube to 3", but mantec's is 2.5 so I am not too worried. Although there is a slight constriction at the bends, I doubt that it has any more affect on air flow than the corrogated elbows that I see. If so, then I will change that too.

I will post painted final pics when done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snorke mock.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	3278  
Old June 7th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

WOW looks much cleaner then mine! it would be real bling if it was Stainless steal!
Old June 7th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Tdi Lurker
Big Gord
1971 IIA 88

not the best picture but i welded a couple tabs on the pipe and then attached a couple more tabs on the pillar using some stainless rivets ..then i bolted the 2 tabs together with some 1/4" bolts..seems to work ok
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drivers Side 2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	3279  
Old June 9th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I moved the snorkel thread to the misc. section if you want to see it finished
Old June 9th, 2005, 03:04 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Check out the pics!

http://www.roverworld.com/mantec.htm

Looks like they use some angle to hold it to the wind screen, you can see it in the last pic only 2 holes in it. Don't you think 2.5" is a little small?
Man I am digging the Mantec in the first picture. I like it better than the Safari snorkel sitting in my closest. LOL

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old June 9th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
Man I am digging the Mantec in the first picture. I like it better than the Safari snorkel sitting in my closest. LOL
Yeah but it's for a TDI, the lower intakewould be a real pain to do on a NAS V8 and I think it would be more prone to catching on trees and stuff.
Old June 9th, 2005, 03:35 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Thats what my Safari one is too... I like them better than the more common driver side tube type. I like the mantec top better than the Safari though.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, ecu, snorkel