Snorkel (raised air intake) top? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 21st, 2008, 11:45 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Snorkel (raised air intake) top?

Hi. I'm looking to have a local muffler guy make me a snorkel while he's replacing my exhaust. However, I can't figure out where to buy a top for the snorkel (preferably in Canada). I've looked at donaldson.com and see these two PDFs:

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/s...ary/000207.pdf
http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/s...ary/055471.pdf

However, I imagine that anything from there is going to be a lot more expensive, and maybe the wrong application, compared to a Mantec or Safari top. It's hard to know where to begin.

I have a 200tdi and the Donaldsons are rated for airflow; however, I don't know what my airflow needs are for a 200tdi.

If anyone has some help for me on where to get a top and what kind of top to get, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot,
- Andrew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2008, 11:56 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Calling Jack Walter to the white courtesy phone....
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:44 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Calling Jack Walter to the white courtesy phone....
Thanks for the cryptic and possibly useful, possibly useless response

I have done some calling around and found out that North Shore Offroad ( http://www.nsor.com ) can get me a Safari top for between $C96-112, which is I guess par for the course but also a lot of money for a little bit of plastic.

A friend of mine suggested just having the muffler shop bend the pipe forward and flare it a bit and not bother with buying a top. Is that a Bad Idea for any reason? I could just put a grille on it and be done with it, and could always buy another top down the road if I see someone selling a used one or something like that.

Thanks,
- Andrew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2008, 12:59 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Hey !

Hi Andrew !

Glad to see you rig is back on the road. How was fixing that engine ? Was it badly damaged ? Hopefully I will get to see you this winter off road in some of the events.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:08 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit
Hi Andrew !

Glad to see you rig is back on the road. How was fixing that engine ? Was it badly damaged ? Hopefully I will get to see you this winter off road in some of the events.

Pat
Well my truck is "back on the road" in the sense that it's fixed, but I haven't picked it up yet from the mechanic's. It's getting a cat-back (in a manner of speaking) stainless exhaust system this afternoon and then hopefully I'll be driving it home.

I ended up sending it to a mechanic's shop about 6 weeks ago because it wasn't quite running and I didn't have the time or expertise to finish it off. My dad died and the truck was at his farm so I felt that I needed to move it, so I just spent more money than I wanted to spend having someone else do the work.

It's been off the road for 5 months so I almost forget even owning it It will be good to get it back. How's your vehicle coming along?

I'll talk to the muffler guys this afternoon and show them exactly what I want. Then I'll see whether they want to do the work and whether they're the right people to do it.

- Andrew.
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:24 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Andrew,

I have a spare Mantec mushroom top that I bought from SafariRover on here. If he does not have one for you currently, I'll sell ya my spare.

KB
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:32 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
Andrew,

I have a spare Mantec mushroom top that I bought from SafariRover on here. If he does not have one for you currently, I'll sell ya my spare.

KB
Hey, thanks a lot. I just found his contact info on the site and sent him an email. If you WANT to get rid of yours, let me know. Otherwise, if you'd rather keep it, I'll wait to hear back from SafariRover.

Thanks,
- Andrew.
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:59 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You could get a pre-cleaner. There are a variety of brands, but they do cost a bit.

The Southdown ram tops are indestructable and pretty cheap, http://stores.ebay.ca/Southdown-4x4-Products A friend just bought they two plastic pieces from Southdown and made the rest locally. Saves a lot of money and makes a very nice and strong snorkel.

If you are using a ram, then you want it separate as there are times it should be turned around.
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:35 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
SafariRover has a mushroom top listed in his new shipment in the fleamarket sections (or was it vendor's loft?)
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:53 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I have a Centri brand pre-cleaner on the intake of my snorkel, It's an aluminum and stainless steel construction that is available in a wide range of intake tube diameters. I have one made for a 3" diameter snorkel tube since I was using some scrap C-130 fuel line tubing to build my snorkel. I think it cost me around $150.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:56 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

In addition to the Centri mentioned by Jack, http://www.centriprecleaner.com/, there's also:
http://www.sy-klone.com/
http://www.enginaire.com/
I'm sure there are others, but you can probably find local dealers of at least one of these in your area.
Check heavy equipment dealers, that's the most common type of dealer who carries them.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old November 26th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Eddie 1
EDWARD BAHAW
Disco 1 TDI 300 SE

Use the PVC vent that lead out of the sewer line

http://images.google.tt/imgres?imgur...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
air intake, snorkel