Snorkel question searched and came up empty - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 28th, 2004, 08:29 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Snorkel question searched and came up empty

I read all the posts about snorkels I could find, great info but I have a couple particular questions about getting one. What is out there? Which one is best? Where to buy? Post pictures if you like. If I overlooked something in my search my apologies just point me to the right thread!
One more off topic thing-What kind of bumper and srorkel is that on the nice white d-90 in the background?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2004, 08:47 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I dont know about the bumper, but that looks like a Mantec snorkel, which is the brand I intend to buy when I shake this cocaine habit.

I dont like the Safari Snorkel design as much with its "scoop" look.

From my looking around, Rover Accessories has the best price on Mantec at 399.00. 425 is pretty average with some places wanting 475 or more. I've never ordered anything from Rover Accessories so I dont know if they are in stock or whether the people are cool.

I dont really use cocaine, but I'm torn between saying I do or explaining how my defender ate 20k in the last year. At least people try to get you help if you say you have a drug problem.
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:55 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

It's a Rockware bumper with the 3 light mount option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2004, 09:59 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Jim, maybe it's your Defender that has the coke habit
Old October 29th, 2004, 11:18 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustydefender
I read all the posts about snorkels I could find, great info but I have a couple particular questions about getting one. What is out there? Which one is best? Where to buy? Post pictures if you like. If I overlooked something in my search my apologies just point me to the right thread!
One more off topic thing-What kind of bumper and srorkel is that on the nice white d-90 in the background?

Knowing what I know now. If I were looking for a snorkel, I would first consider your air filtration needs and specifically how your going to route that snorkel. Whether your going to use your stock can, or do something along the lines of what JL did at EE: http://www.expeditionexchange.com/D90snorkel/

But consider the different types of setups, how much modification your willing to stomach, etc. Prices for most snorkels out there are largely the same.

Not to say looks aren't important, but depending on how you want yours fitted, you should consider the different designs, their merits and detractions.

Personnally, I think the mantec looks like a stove pipe from a wood stove. But that's just me

I use the southdown. It's going to be a difficult fit in a '97 unless you mount it on the passenger side. Otherwise you'll be running hose around your engine bay to get to the stock filter location/orientation.

http://www.pbase.com/dmarchand/image/34061941
http://www.pbase.com/dmarchand/image/33545890

To answer your question about the bumper, it's a Rockware.
Old October 29th, 2004, 11:35 AM
excanuk
Nigel Rigby
94 D90

I also would like the southdown one. Anybody know where to pick one up. I e-mailed Southdown and never got a response.

Thanks,

Nigel
Old October 29th, 2004, 12:03 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Hey Dave do you have a photo on the plumbing of your snorkle in the engine compartmernt?
Old October 29th, 2004, 12:33 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Try tntlr.com or Rovers North. I'm sure others may have suggestions.

Phil, you mean with the tdi in? Hard to take any pictures as the tube from the snorkel runs back behind the engine and underneath the tubing from the filter to intake. Not much to really see to be honest. It's all nicely tucked away.

With the 4.0, I had a long tube draped around the front of the engine to the stock filter. It was ugly.
Old October 29th, 2004, 01:29 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
o shit I had forgotten about the TDI. yeah I was wondering about the V8 setup. yeah i can imagine how that would look
Old October 29th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have heard that DAp, Inc has good prices on snorkels, just make sure you order the right one as I think they have the same part# for 2 Defender snorkles.
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:50 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Dap have a good price on snorkels but as MIke said get the right one
Mantec and Safari both have the same part #
Old October 29th, 2004, 07:41 PM
excanuk
Nigel Rigby
94 D90

Rovers North has Southdown on sale for 325. It requires that you fabricate a small bracket to hold it to roll cage around the windscreen. Shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the point in the right direction.

Nigel
Old October 30th, 2004, 05:43 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I'm pretty sure British Pacific has the Mantec, there prices are usually good. Rover Accessories never seems to have parts in, call first. If RA doesn't have it, don't order it through them, they can take forever. The Southdown is nice; however, you'll have to cut a hole in the fender. Where as the Mantec will run through the wing top vent. My guess is the plumbing of the line under the hood will look the same between the two brands, a mess. John Lee has a very nice custom set up, but I don't know if it is worth the work. You have to think, how often do you drive around with the hood up? The fewer holes you have to cut and drill into the very difficult to patch aluminum body, the better.

David

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
snorkel