snorkel question - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 15th, 2004, 07:23 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Whooooeeee, Mike! Did somebody crap down your Snorkel or what!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself! Hehehhe!

Although, you did make interesting comment about the diesel delivery vans. What's the rational behind this? Why not aspirate the engine like others with an intake under the hood somewhere? For example, hypothetically if your 350 on the Serious One was EFI wouldn't it require cooler air too in order to subside the heat? Or is the cooler air a requirement for the diesel simply because it manufactures considerably more heat as a result of compression? Just curious.

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

It's April 15th and I owe...so I'm allowed to be a little pissy.

I don't know the answers to those questions, really. All I know is that the snorkel catches a LOT of dust, I run it in conjunction with a K&N, so I want all the filtration I can get.

Plus...I also know that there are a lot of companies that put a lot of heavy duty research into snorkels, and one of the reasons for using one is for dusty conditions.

Art is suggesting that the ONLY reason to use one is for water crossings, I disagree with his original statement, and his argument so far has not been to prove that he is right, but to try to disprove that there could be any other reasons to run one.

His debating technique is admirable.
Old April 15th, 2004, 07:46 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Mike,

So far the benefit you're getting is what? The ability to run a week in the desert before you have to clean her out???

If that's all there is to it then I can do without it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2004, 08:05 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Hmmm, owe. Yep, I've owed for the last three years! I'm at the point where I don't believe the government ever intends on giving me money..........again!

Anyway, I see your point. In your case it seems as if your Donaldson/Snorkel supplies you with extra filtration then it would without. I was just curious about the "cool air/hot air" debacle myself.

DJ
Old April 15th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Art,

It's not the ability to run in the desert for a week w/out cleaning it that is the only benefit. Besides, I never said that I run it for a week and don't change it. I could clean it twice a day, twice a week, or once a week, and I would still get the same benefit.

It is the benefit of getting twice (if not more) the filtration each time I even start the engine. The bowl of the Donaldson is large enough that I don't have to worry about it even after a week of running through the desert.

If you can't see that, then this conversation is pointless.
Old April 15th, 2004, 08:55 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Is Donaldson that big wide precleaner that I've seen? Where can you order those?
Old April 15th, 2004, 08:56 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Mike,

So, it appears that your Donaldson is doing all the work not strictly the snorkel.

What about the restricted flow from using a precleaner. Can you get good V8 flow in a 2-3" tube?

Have you tried seeing how much dust is collected without the snorkel? I can't see how much cleaner the air is 6' up versus 4' inside a somewhat protected area - the engine bay.
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Oh I don't know that the Donaldson is doing *all* of the work. It is doing a lot when conditions are harsh. Having it at any location would be better than not having it at all. Having it 7-ish feet above the ground is better than having it 4-feet above the ground.

One of the things that I've always noticed is that after a dusty trail ride, the engine bay is coated with very fine dust. If you have your air intake inside the engine bay, that's the dust that's getting kicked up by the truck's front wheels and circulated around in there by the fan. Your solution of the air scoop near the front is better than nothing.

I ran the truck w/out the snorkel for several months and it does make a lot of difference on the cleaning. The tube diameter does restrict flow a bit, but it's only noticable when the RPM's are above say, 5000rpm. I don't run the truck that high, so it's not a problem.

Donaldson pre-cleaners can be purchased from most John Deere dealers. ARB also sells them, but they are way too expensive if you buy them from ARB. The pre-cleaners are made in the USA, and if you buy one from ARB, you pay to have it shipped to Australia then re-shipped to the USA, then re-re-shipped to your door.

It'll be less than half of what ARB charges if you get it from your Deere dealer.

Centri also makes a very nice pre-cleaner that is similar to the Donaldson. The nice thing about the Centri is that the body is aluminum and you do not have to dump the dust out of the bowl. It is self cleaning, but is very expensive.
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Jeese, Mike is right. Thats all there is to it.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

It's about damn time one of you guys figured it out.

:
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I hope you know I was being serious!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Kerr
Shawn

so none of you know this Jeff Downs guy? or have a e mail for him?
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:43 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I know Jeff! He has the 300TDI snorkel on his 90 and it was PITA to install due to heater box and the roll cage. He didn't like it as he kept hitting tree's with it and it started pulling away from the body.

He sold his rig and bought Spidertrax buggy.
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:12 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Speaking of... his old rig was just up for sale again the other day on Autotrader.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:13 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Last I knew, the email listed in his Owners bio was still working.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kerr
is that bad?

Does he post on here? if so whats his screan name?

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:27 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

His rig was posted all over the net. He bashed the crap out of it, and I was amazed how fast he sold it. I think the guys at Alabama bought it from him first.

Yes he still uses the same email in his Bio.
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Kerr
Shawn

yea its for sale in the NC now, I was thinking about getting it. I tried his e mail and it cam back. said something about no box.

So besided the body damage was the motor, trnas, t case in good shape? I know there are two types of D90 owner the ones that wheel and the ones that dont. I just dont want to buy something that some else knows it has problems. You all know what i mean.
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:07 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

This truck does not have a clear title, it's has something to do with mileage.
If you ask me, i would say don't get it unless you get a great deal on it. Jeff really used this truck, in fact I think he used it harder then anyone on this board. If you want more details email me off list. However, I won't reply till Sunday night since I'm leaving right now.
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:56 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Mike,

After reading up on Donaldson precleaners I'll admit that a snorkel with one of these is useful in applications like yours.

I still think snorkels in their basic "straight through" intake design are nothing special.
Old April 16th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Not to add fuel on fire,
I have the same Safari snorkel on the Cube
(a Tdi)
with the standard air ram,shame John Deere's parts dealers
don't abund around here so I'm still waiting to buy the precleaner,
but before the snorkel even in off the shelf form
I could clean the airbox with a spoon after a day out
on dusty trails;neither deserts abund here

but the higher level of the air intake avoids a considerable
amount of dust,which finds its way in the airbox anyway
when motoring around and queing.

Safari and Donaldson recommend the prefilter to use
in what I'd call "trail conditions",low range rpm (around 1800=lowbox mode ON)
plus dusty environments...

Lots of comments on OZ fora too.

Cheers
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
snorkel