Snorkel problems - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 20th, 2013, 01:37 AM
Landyman1
Landyman
1983 land rover 110 county

Have a 1983 Land Rover 110 County SW. It is a great car, and the 3.5l v8 sounds great but one big problem is that there is no side panel vent for a snorkel. I have looked into the mantec wing-vent snorkel but at 300$ it's a bit steep. I've considered cutting a hole but I don't have much faith in my ability to get it right. Also, I'm not sure what the difference is between a snorkel made for a diesel and a snorkel made for a v8. If there is no difference I can improvise and save money. What do you think I should do, cut a hole and take a chance or is the wing top snorkel worth it. Thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4130259936.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	568.7 KB
ID:	82430
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2013, 01:46 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Spend the money on the Mantec. It's worth it. Don't cut a wing for a plastic snorkel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old October 20th, 2013, 08:42 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Chris is right. Your truck is nice so just save your money for the better part. You would be sorry you cut a hole when the raised air intake gets brittle and breaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

We don't need a thread on "Snorkels That Suck"
Buy the good stuff!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 20th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Actually a snorkel thread would have been a good tool when I was installing mine....so many opinions on it everywhere!
Old October 20th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Go mantec wing top. Easy to install.
Old October 20th, 2013, 10:58 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I went cheap ass and got the snorkel that you cut a hole in the wing to mount. It was no big deal, admittedly though I was very worried I would screw it it up to. It came out just fine and I prefer the look of it over the wing top set up.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old October 20th, 2013, 11:22 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
The NAS V8 Mantec will not work with your vehicle since it is RHD. It does not just swap over to the other side and it's a shame to pay lots of money for something to still have to fiddle with it.

If you're concerned about how much airflow you need then you can check out the math towards the bottom of this page to figure out what you need. http://centriprecleaner.com/the-basics/ Then use one of their tops or any of the other brands like http://www.enginaire.com/online-catalog/ and get a top for whatever snorkel you make yourself.

Yes there aren't many options out there for snorkels that look good. Most people say homemade is garbage because of all the shitter pipe ones that people create. But realistically the only thing the Mantec has going for it are clean solutions through the top vent or side. Other than that it's just some pipe and tube and clamps.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old October 20th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

I believe this is what you are looking for. It is missing one windshield mount, which is very easily fixed, also the flex tube from the wing mount to the snorkel. Asking $200 plus the ride, as for right now it is set up for a RH side vent mount, for an extra $20 I'll cut the spot welds and flip it if you need it to mount on the LH side, super easy fix. Good luck either way!! And FYI it has fresh powder coat as well so it looks pretty new! If you want me to source everything for a direct install I can do it for $300 shipped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1850826529.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	576.5 KB
ID:	82435   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2759907876.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	587.7 KB
ID:	82436  

Old October 20th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Landyman1
Landyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
I went cheap ass and got the snorkel that you cut a hole in the wing to mount. It was no big deal, admittedly though I was very worried I would screw it it up to. It came out just fine and I prefer the look of it over the wing top set up.
what engine do you have?
Old October 20th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

200tdi, from my understanding there isn't a real difference between motors just vent location and mounting points. As for flow and everything it should be fine for any application you want to use. If you plan on submersing the vehicle I would make all hard lines and silicone at the joints
Old October 20th, 2013, 05:10 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
I believe this is what you are looking for. It is missing one windshield mount, which is very easily fixed, also the flex tube from the wing mount to the snorkel. Asking $200 plus the ride, as for right now it is set up for a RH side vent mount, for an extra $20 I'll cut the spot welds and flip it if you need it to mount on the LH side, super easy fix. Good luck either way!! And FYI it has fresh powder coat as well so it looks pretty new! If you want me to source everything for a direct install I can do it for $300 shipped.
That is setup for a left side wing top vent mount. RHD has the heater intake on the left side. He would need it on the other side. Just look at the plate portion orientation and it makes sense. The long piece of pipe on the over wing portion should be parallel to the edge of the hood for the corresponding side.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old October 20th, 2013, 05:22 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landyman1 View Post
what engine do you have?
Had a 3.5 v8. Now it has a carbed 3.9 out of a RRC.

It took a bit of fiddling with it I used a standard air cleaner assembly off a chevy truck and made a gasket to seal it up tight. Welded up a 3" ouylet in place of the stock oulet on it and made a plate to sandwhich the fender with a 3" hose take off. Then connected it.

Little bit of work but I picked up the snorkel I liked and still have less cost than the mantec.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old October 20th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Had a 3.5 v8. Now it has a carbed 3.9 out of a RRC.

It took a bit of fiddling with it I used a standard air cleaner assembly off a chevy truck and made a gasket to seal it up tight. Welded up a 3" ouylet in place of the stock oulet on it and made a plate to sandwhich the fender with a 3" hose take off. Then connected it.

Little bit of work but I picked up the snorkel I liked and still have less cost than the mantec.
Do you have pictures? It's difficult to imagine without being familiar with a Chevy Intake or knowing where it passes through the body. I'm really curious to see what others have come up with as I've been working out a design in the back of my head for a while.

By the way, where can you buy the Mantec that is designed for the NAS trucks anymore? It seems like everyone that used to carry it is out of stock or says it is NLA. Anyone have a link to a retail site for a new one?
Old October 20th, 2013, 05:54 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I'll see what I can do on pics of the stuff in the fender. Mine is a ROW so that is tucked behind the brake booster.

The air cleaner I can take some pics of easily. When I get home.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old October 20th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
That is setup for a left side wing top vent mount. RHD has the heater intake on the left side. He would need it on the other side. Just look at the plate portion orientation and it makes sense. The long piece of pipe on the over wing portion should be parallel to the edge of the hood for the corresponding side.
I understand but I did't know if he has a rhd or LHD, and to switch it to make it work both ways is easy. It's an option for him
Old October 20th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Landyman1
Landyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
this is a British vehicle so it does not have an American spec v8. There is already a vent scoop on the left wing but the tube had been cut. I believe that the wing scoop may have been factory spec because it's separated from the rest of the engine parts. I am planning to replace the scoop with a snorkel. Note: my landy is RHD. Does this help? Overall, I need to know whether I need to buy a snorkel for the left wing (the side where the vent is), or for the right wing (the drivers side) Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2722582798.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	472.3 KB
ID:	82450 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2327780795.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	544.3 KB
ID:	82452 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-422743737.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	534.0 KB
ID:	82451 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2154991903.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	82454 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3864564131.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	82453 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2440019425.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	480.9 KB
ID:	82457 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-195855583.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	82456
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1850672984.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	464.0 KB
ID:	82455  
Old October 20th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Landyman1
Landyman

Quote:
do you have a picture of the engine bay with the snorkel connected?
Old October 20th, 2013, 07:20 PM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

The scoop is for the heater system. It's not factory but a common add on. The tube looks to be the drain for the intake to the blower/heater. The factory fitting for that is just like the one on the drivers side but instead of being solid has holes to let air in. Because water can get in so easily it needs a drain which is what you see.

My snorkel is side mounted but I've always assumed people used the opposite side of the heater to avoid moving the heater intake when using wing top ones
Old October 20th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Landyman1
Landyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by C391HAT View Post
The scoop is for the heater system. It's not factory but a common add on. The tube looks to be the drain for the intake to the blower/heater. The factory fitting for that is just like the one on the drivers side but instead of being solid has holes to let air in. Because water can get in so easily it needs a drain which is what you see. My snorkel is side mounted but I've always assumed people used the opposite side of the heater to avoid moving the heater intake
oh okay, thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions