Snorkel preferences? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 1st, 2015, 06:20 PM
Spook
Rich
97 Defender 90

Registry
Snorkel preferences?

All,

I do not off road that much, some dirt roads for work 1-2 times a week but that is about it. Been thinking of throwing on a snorkel to get some cooler / cleaner air. Any one have some feedback on their approaches and thoughts?

I have a 97, 90 with the 4.0 and LHD.

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2015, 06:32 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
If you go pre-Cleaner watch the cfm rates, the Centri pre-cleaner it's turns out you need a 3 inch inlet (ID) to get proper cfm flow, not sure about Donaldson

Need to add that for my 2hundy I need a 3 inch Centri sleeved down to fit the 2.5 inch raised intake pipe

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old June 1st, 2015, 06:34 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
You mean cooler, like the fonz right?
Whatever gains you'd think you'd get from having an intake outside the hood would be lost in having a 10x longer intake.
CAIs are wives tale really. Unless you're running a hi-performance (rover?) FI setup that is modified to the point of being restricted by stock air intake, its for looks. Especially when you get pre-filters and all installed. Which is cool... and I'd give up some get-up for a nice snorkel. But its not technically reasonable. I've been putting off a snorkel on my JK because I know it's vanity and I don't like to admit to non-practical thoughts. That and, I don't know what your dirt is like, but in my experience, unless you're first on the dusty trail, snorkel is not above dust. If its not dusty, its not a problem. frequent cleaning of pre-filter or frequent vacuuming of stock filter. Not an oiled filter.

If you just want it for cool points and not cool air, I don't have any idea what's available for the 4.0. But i'm sure it's an easy search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2015, 08:02 PM
REDrum
Niall Johnson
1970 Series IIA 88 - Sandstone

Registry
Raised intakes work well for reducing intake filter load, (from driving on dusty roads) and add protection from intaking water and causing hydro-lock.

With a raised intake I get 8,000 miles before air filter is loaded. My buddy, w/o raised intake, with same make/model truck, same lift, same roads/driving pattern, gets 3,000 miles before air filter is loaded. And its a big air filter!

If you don't drive on gravel roads or wade through rivers/water greater than 36" deep then raised intakes are just bling-bling on your truck.

YMMV

'99 UZJ 100 - for glamping and grocery getting
'94 FZJ80 - our Costa Rican coffee mule
'96 FZJ80 - 3XL, racked, shaved and dipped in Raptor coat
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - a Costa Rican expat now with US citizenship!
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - for Central America surf & coffee exploration
'56 Petrol S1 86 - a whole new kind of land rover hell...
Old June 1st, 2015, 08:08 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
You know what keeps me from putting a snorkel on my trucks more than anything?
All the mall crawlers with lifts and snorkels. XD wheels, lift kits, ridiculous tires and snorkels.

I have a pathological dislike for going with the crowd apparently. I'll modify when I find something I cant get over or around. So far that hasn't happened. A winch for peace of mind. Which I have used.

Is there any such thing as an intake pre-filter that acts like an oil catch can? Like a P trap with a more of a "particle separator". Something like a sedimenter. Old oil bath filters worked KIND of like that. There's a product there. I may try to rig something up and see what happens.
Old June 1st, 2015, 08:32 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenderMd View Post
You mean cooler, like the fonz right?
Whatever gains you'd think you'd get from having an intake outside the hood would be lost in having a 10x longer intake.
It doesn't have to be 10x longer...it can be routed under the wing...check out my profile for pics of my setup...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 1st, 2015, 08:40 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Green rover? X10 was hyperbole. Everything I say is hyperbole. X4 x5 times... whatever. Snorkel is much longer (hopefully) than stock. Its amazing the impact it can have.. particularly on fuel injected MAF cars and turbo. Something like the 2.5 would probably be negligible interference. Frankly with the Uber low performance that is Pre tata rover, its prolly not a huge deal. But its a deal.

Out the top of the wing is pretty much the non TD5 standard.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 08:54 AM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Wink

There is no performance loss, my 1/4 mile time is around 25 seconds...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 01:35 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Yea... I ought to time mine.. I am fairly sure it would complete the 1/4 mile.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 02:53 PM
Spook
Rich
97 Defender 90

Registry
nice relo. i will look at that on my 4.0. thinking of not doing to much as i am in the market for a 110.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 03:01 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
I believe the washer reservoir my cause interference.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
snorkel