snorkel hosing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:58 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
snorkel hosing

Need a source for snorkel hosing. Mine is hitting over 7 years and has a couple of splits I fixed with rubber taping.
The fire retardant rubber coated hose is hard to find! any ideas? (my snorkel is the NAS left side top panel type by RN)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:34 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
Need a source for snorkel hosing. Mine is hitting over 7 years and has a couple of splits I fixed with rubber taping.
The fire retardant rubber coated hose is hard to find! any ideas? (my snorkel is the NAS left side top panel type by RN)
What's the inside diameter? Maybe I can source something.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:18 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Well if I measure the steel elbow section of the snorkel (where the hose fits over) the measurement comes out to
3 & 1/4"

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:13 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
Well if I measure the steel elbow section of the snorkel (where the hose fits over) the measurement comes out to
3 & 1/4"

Marc
I fear I'm not going to be as much help to you as I'd hoped. 3 1/4 inches is kind of an oddball size.

If you want to stick with the look of the accordion hose that your snorkel came with, I think the easiest first step would be to contact Rovers North or Mantec directly and order a replacement. (I'm pretty sure the snorkel RN offers is a Mantec.)

Or you could spend a morning in the junkyard poking around under the hoods of cars for air intake hose. Maybe you could find one that fits.

If you want to go another route, go to McMaster.com and enter 5285K123 in the search field. This will take you to a couple of rubber hoses that might work. I can't guarantee that their bend radius would be tight enough, but it's worth a shot.

Probably a better suited choice would be a heavy duty flexible duct hose. McMaster.com and enter 4505K26 in the search field. The caveat here is that 3 1/2" is as close as you can get. You'd have to do something creative to shim the snorkel tubing out to 3 1/2" in diameter. Maybe some foam tape.

I hope that helps.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:16 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Hi thanks for the reference, I appreciate it. I will check it out.
Thanks again
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:11 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Hey Marc, something you may want to consider-- water hose. A pump company is where I got mine. This stuff is so rigid you can stand on it without collapsing it. It would be too rigid, I believe, for the section under the hood. Above the bonnet, however, I think it would work well and probably outlive your defender. The only drawback might be that the inside diameter is 3". It may not stretch out to the 31/4" you need, but it is so tough it is still worth a look. In any case, it is a possible source you may not have considered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hose.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	5689  
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:59 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Hi, I need the inside hose section, and need it to be flexible. Thanks gor your help though..
(good god you could beat someone to a pulp with that hose!)
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:34 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I got a silicone coated fabric hose (rated to 800 degrees) from a heating supply company. I have also seen similar hose at semi-truck accessory shops. I think I paid about $8/foot. Mine is blue.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:12 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
do you remember the co. you bought that from and size?
Marc
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I can probably dig that up tomorrow--I will check it for you.

Chris
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I am pretty sure it was Central Motive Power in Denver. I have a receipt but can't tell if that is them. I will check it out and see if I can determine what my hose is called.
Old May 27th, 2006, 12:23 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Thanks, that would help..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
snorkel