snaps missing in roll cage - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 8th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253
snaps missing in roll cage

The latest in a long list of problems with my new-to-me D90 is that several of the snaps to fit the soft top are missing - all of them from the rearmost bar on the roll cage. The roll cage coating - that hard rubberized stuff - appears to have 'fissures' in it, and near three of the snaps those fissures have caused the snaps to fall out at some point.

Is this repairable, and if so, how?

Now that I took off the wooden hard top it's a bit windy with only the bimini between me and the wind & I'd like to get my soft top installed.

Thanks for any info you can send my way..

Old September 10th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158
Jason, years ago I had a custom Surrey top made at a local sunroof/convertible top/window tinting place and the guy added snaps to my cage to fit the new top. Not sure how he did it, but a place like that may be the place to start.

"I race cars, play tennis, and fondle women, BUT! I have weekends off, and I am my own boss." - Arthur
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:59 AM
1995 D90
Same Boat

Does anyone else have a fix for this, I'm in the same boat about the snaps and the top.

Old March 14th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
When I made my surrey top for my D90 I added snaps the the side rails. I bought the snaps at Michaels (a local fabric store) and drilled a hole in the side rail and screwed them in. Just don't overtighten them or they will withdraw into the foam.

Old March 17th, 2008, 10:23 AM
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD
If you're talking about the horizontal bar, I would suggest mounting some appropriate snaps (available form marine shops or fabric stores) to 3/4" wide velcro straps long enough to wrap around the roll cage bar...then snuggly velcro the "snap straps" to the roll cage and then mount soft top...might work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions