snapped bolt - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:33 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow
snapped bolt

Iv'e been driving with 4 bolts holding the rear half shaft. Now its started leaking grease. went to undo the bolts and snapped 2 more. Never drilled out a bolt before, is there a tool to get it out.

3rd low and BOOT IT
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:01 AM
Jim C.
It's really wierd on those hubs. Both times I've encountered snapped bolts, they've come out very easily. I don't fully understand how a bolt will snap, but the broken piece almost turns out by hand.

Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:29 AM
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 ST #614 | '95 RRC TWR
Easy outs might help:
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:30 AM
Chris von C
No Defender at this time
I've snapped about half of mine on the 94. Get a good drill, really good quality drill bits and "easy out" kit. The easy kit will resemble a drill bit box but the "bits" are fatter and reversed threaded to grip inside the hole you will drill.

Start with a smaller drill bit and drill a pilot hole in the center. The work the hole open a little more, the try the easy-outs. Here are some directions on using one:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	easyout.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	9736  
Chris von C

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:58 AM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
How are you guys breaking 1/2 shaft bolts? You're not driving them in with an impact gun are you? I would have to check, but I think that the torque on those bolts is 50ftlbs--I can't imagine breaking one with such little force.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions