snap crackle pop and . . . a tow - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 28th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST
snap crackle pop and . . . a tow

Stopped at a red light today, green light and I release the clutch. Rig doesn't move, as if the brakes are applied. I forgot the exact sequence of things I did (jiggle transfer case, gun the engine a bit) but I manage to get the rig moving again at around 30-40mph. But rough rumbling noise coming from front end, so I get a tow. At home I jack up one of the front corners and turn the wheels by hand. Front drive shafts making rough noises as I rotate wheel. Front differential seems ok, will drain tomorrow to see if any metal shards come out.

So, the correct diagnosis is bad u-joints/front drive shaft? Should I replace just the u-joints or entire front shaft assembly? Replace rear drive shaft assembly too, as a precaution? Rig has high mileage, I'm not the first owner.

Could the bad front shafts have resulted from a bad transfer case? Vehicle can still move around, but with rough noises from front end. Or vise versa, can bad u-joints/drive shafts damage other components?

How do I test the front transfer case? I was thinking of up jacking up all four wheels, engaging diff lock and either turning wheels by hand or running engine.

Old June 28th, 2014, 11:42 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
Sounds like a broken CV joint. Does it run fine (but with noises) if you lock the diff?

*not legal advice*
Old June 29th, 2014, 12:46 AM
Jeff Briggs
Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon
Site Team
You can inspect the driveshaft and joints by laying under it. If it's that bad you should be able to confirm or rule it out.

As Ron mentioned, it's most likely a cv, which is more involved, but fairly simple. The only specialty tool you will need is a hub nut socket.

Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
sheisters gonna sheist
Old June 29th, 2014, 06:45 AM
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Idk, but if you jack all four wheels you might not get the same result given they are not under load. I chased a DS issue for a while and learned it sounded differently when under load. Drive me nuts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

ac, rack