Smoking, newbie panic, member thank you - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 21st, 2016, 09:54 AM
mteibel@nc.rr.com
Mitch
1985 ROW Ninety

Smoking, newbie panic, member thank you

It was warm enough yesterday for a quick jaunt in the truck. After about a mile, smoke starts billowing out of the passenger side floor. I am still learning the layout of things on this truck, but remember the gas tanks are under the passenger seats, so I unbuckle the belt (for a potential quick exit) and get to the nearest parking lot (about 500').

I text the only 2 forum members who I have cell phone numbers for to determine if it is safe to drive the truck home. My fears ... (1) I wind up as crispy bacon and (2) future forum members will pick the carcass of this ROW 90 apart for cheap parts (after the insurance settlement). I go into the local Lowes hardware to kill some time and to buy a flashlight. I run into a old friend who I've not seen in a while we catch-up ... the entire time (20 mins.), I'm wondering if the truck is ignited in the lot. I am reasonably relaxed, because of the insurance policy.

Brewie212 thanks for the call, I promise future pings only if I believe my life hangs in the balance. The truck made it home fine and what ever fluid "needed burning off" seemed to have occurred while the truck sat in the parking lot.

I've snapped a few pictures of the parts under the truck that look suspect to this noob:
(1) picture 1 - looks like a worm hanging down, some type of seal mucho dark matter spewed on the aluminum looking part nearby.
(2) picture 2 - a hose that goes to somewhere is rotted, but I don't see any fluid splattering near this hose. I have checked the transmission, oil, brake and PS and don't see measurable low levels of fluid in these systems.

Other pictures where I noticed leaks or fluid active have been uploaded. Other notable information:
-I had not driven the truck in 6-weeks
-The weather turned, so I expect some weeping per what I've seen in trolling this forum

Any ideas, help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seal.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	142966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hose.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	142967  

Name:	IMG_4602.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	142968   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4608.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	142969  

Name:	IMG_4600.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	142970  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2016, 10:16 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Looks like a V8 with automatic.
When it's running you need to look underneath or get it on a lift so you can see exactly what is happening anything less is just subjective guesswork.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old February 21st, 2016, 10:26 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes... And perhaps provide information such as what model vehicle, what engine, what year.... I can't find the crystal ball this morning.

Probably just one of the many leak burning off on the exhaust, but who knows.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2016, 10:27 AM
Matt_110
Matt

What did the smoke smell like? Electrics? Sweet like trans fluid?
Old February 21st, 2016, 11:07 AM
Mteibel
Mitch Teibel
1985 Defender 90

I started the truck after the pictures were taken and no noticeable leak (or smoke) after 5 minutes of run time. I appreciate the advice and expected that observing the pics and very little information I can provide will mean a trip to the shop is in order.

The truck is an 1985 ROW 90 that has a 3.9 V8 and VFHP22 auto transmission. I did not get a sense if the smell was sweet, but was definitely not electronics burning (from the burning smell and post issue inspection).
Old February 21st, 2016, 11:52 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The exhaust will not get hot enough to burn oil when idling. You need to drive it. The pictures show a lot of leaks.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 21st, 2016, 12:50 PM
Mteibel
Mitch Teibel
1985 Defender 90

Will take a ride and see what transpires. Thanks for the advice.
Old February 21st, 2016, 01:02 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The exhaust will not get hot enough to burn oil when idling. You need to drive it. The pictures show a lot of leaks.
It will on a V8 if it is dripping near the downpipes or manifolds. Wind might have just blown it to one side.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions