Smoking...more - 2.5NA - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 27th, 2015, 10:05 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Smoking...more - 2.5NA

Carrie and are driving our '86 Ex-MoD 90 from Houston to San Francisco. We are taking our time to sight see and make stops. And not taking the interstate for the most part. Saw Ship Rock, took some passes, went trough Bryce Canyon National Park. Made it to Reno yesterday.

So, in the 35,000 miles we've driven (of the 57,000 on the odometer) it has been 'smoke free' while driving and looking at the tailpipe in the mirror. In the past at elevations above 3,000' I have noticed more smoke than at lower elevations.

But this time it seems to be putting out more smoke at all times under load. Color? Dark, black or blue?

Plus it just doesn't seem to have quite the power I'm accustomed to. (Yes, Okay, it's a 2.5NA. It's not a powerhouse.)

Also, for the first time I'm operating in colder weather than I've driven it in before. When it's below 20 in the morning, it is VERY hard to start. I believe the glow plugs are working because the heater fan slows down a lot when I turn the key to the glow plug position.

My question: Am I developing a problem? Is there something I should be looking for? Or is this just what to expect from a 2.5NA at high elevation in the cold?

I understand that I should not use 'starting fluid' in a diesel. Is there something else that I could use to help it start on cold mornings?

Thanks,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2015, 10:14 PM
javelinadave
-
-

It's over fueling from the altitude. A friend just had this same issue a few weeks back. Once you are back at sea level it will be back to normal. You engine hates cold and altitude. 20-30 seconds of glow should work. How long are you preheating for?
Congrats on finishing the type school.
Old November 27th, 2015, 10:17 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Q. "Is there something I should be looking for?"

A. A 200/300Tdi.
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2015, 10:24 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
It's over fueling from the altitude. A friend just had this same issue a few weeks back. Once you are back at sea level it will be back to normal. You engine hates cold and altitude. 20-30 seconds of glow should work. How long are you preheating for?
Congrats on finishing the type school.
I've been holding the glow plugs on for 10 to 15 seconds then crank. I don't crank too long and repeat. It took 5 or 6 of these cycles to start this morning.

Mike

------ Follow up post added November 28th, 2015 01:26 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Q. "Is there something I should be looking for?"

A. A 200/300Tdi.
A wise man once said:

"If I had to explain, you wouldn't understand. Now go away."

Old November 27th, 2015, 10:27 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Turn the fan off and give it a bit longer. Like I said these motors hate cold and altitude. Don't use any starter fluid no matter what.
Old November 27th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
These engines like a lot of glow. Give it more than that. At 20 I would be 30 seconds. A minute at zero.

You may also not have proper winter diesel in there. Add a good dose of a winter diesel fuel conditioner.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 27th, 2015, 11:10 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
These engines like a lot of glow. Give it more than that. At 20 I would be 30 seconds. A minute at zero.

You may also not have proper winter diesel in there. Add a good dose of a winter diesel fuel conditioner.
Okay, more glow plug time. A couple of the recent gas stations have had "winter diesel" signs posted. I'll buy a can of something at O'Reilly's tomorrow.

Mike
Old November 27th, 2015, 11:18 PM
Chowbird
Tim
'84 D90

Mike,

Guam, Houston, San Fran?...Gotta be UAL. Always glad to see fellow "co-workers" 😄
I'm EWR 756...about to be ORD. Have a great and safe trip. Tim
Old November 27th, 2015, 11:35 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbird View Post
Mike,

Guam, Houston, San Fran?...Gotta be UAL. Always glad to see fellow "co-workers" 😄
I'm EWR 756...about to be ORD. Have a great and safe trip. Tim
Yes, you figured it out. Just finished 787 simulator training in Houston and moving my airport car (Defender) to SFO. My first working flight is LAX to Shanghai on Wednesday.

EWR to ORD?

Mike
Old November 28th, 2015, 09:52 AM
Chowbird
Tim
'84 D90

Excellent!! Congrats. I'll PM you. Don't want the thread to stray. Hopefully she'll pop back to normal as you head for sea level. Have a great trip (Defender and 787). Tim

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions