Smoke coming from crank case vent - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 24th, 2010, 11:23 PM
D90tdi
Corey
1984 Landrover 90

Smoke coming from crank case vent

Hey guys a just bought my 1984 landrover 90 last week it has a 200 tdi in it out of a disco. love the truck soo far have been messin with rovers for the past 6 years with my b-in law but my first to own my self and dont know much about the tdi. the crank case vent has a hose tht goes all the way to the bottem of the engine (not hooked up to anything jus hanging there) and smoke comes out of it kinda like a constant stream . when i first noticed it i thought it might b a exaust leak but the i got under the truck and noticed wht is was. Any one know if it should b doin tht or have any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
sounds like it might need rings or a rebore

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90tdi View Post
Hey guys a just bought my 1984 landrover 90 last week it has a 200 tdi in it out of a disco. love the truck soo far have been messin with rovers for the past 6 years with my b-in law but my first to own my self and dont know much about the tdi. the crank case vent has a hose tht goes all the way to the bottem of the engine (not hooked up to anything jus hanging there) and smoke comes out of it kinda like a constant stream . when i first noticed it i thought it might b a exaust leak but the i got under the truck and noticed wht is was. Any one know if it should b doin tht or have any suggestions??
Old February 24th, 2010, 11:43 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Check whether if it's water or combustion fumes. Use a mirror ; water will do drips. you might have a blown head gasket. Ain't that hose supposed to go to the sump? I mean one hose goes to the sump and the other one to the air filter assembly. Is it?
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2010, 12:09 AM
D90tdi
Corey
1984 Landrover 90

not Really sure like i said not very good with this engine yet plus i know a lil but not much 19 years old at the moment tryin to learn my friend haha one step at a time i will post some pics tommrow of wht i am tlkin bout.
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:18 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Well 200tdi have a oil separator on their side. The fumes are separated from their oil and on the bottom of that black plastic thing, there's a hose in which the oil returns to the oil sump (oil pan if you prefer). On the side of the plastic thing there's another hose that goes to the air filter assembly (this one recirculate the fumes, less the oil, to the engine). Is it properly set-up?

------ Follow up post added February 25th, 2010 01:20 AM ------

The part I'm talking about is located on the left of the valve cover
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:44 AM
D90tdi
Corey
1984 Landrover 90

The top hose you see there goes down by the oil pan is just hanging there the other hose i suppose is connected somewhere towards the bottem of the eng i cant see very good right now lol its dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0225000038.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	25398  
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:52 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

The top hose should go to the air filter

Here is an example of a Defender 200tdi, yours will be diffrent but it should give you the idea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200tdi.JPG
Views:	1391
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	25399  
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:55 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
The top one is suppose to connect to the air filter assembly. The bottom one to the sump. The fumes from the engine go in that thing and oil goes down, vapour back to the air filter then to your engine. Check the fumes coming from the top hose. They're not suppose to be a lots of smoke. As I told you, check if the smoke contains water by using a mirror. Water will condensate and drip. Oil will make a mess.. Are you able to make a compression test? If not, get a garage to do it. This test will inform you about the inside health of your engine. If the fumes are containing water then your head gasket might be blown. In that case the compression test will not be accurate.
Old February 25th, 2010, 01:00 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

What happens when you take the oil cap off, does it puff smoke out of the filler hole as well?

How about the dip stick hole?

Is it possible that the hose going back to the oil pan could be blocked or plugged?
Old February 25th, 2010, 01:00 AM
D90tdi
Corey
1984 Landrover 90

ok thanks for the help both of u i will go to the garage and get the compression test sometime, will check the hose tommrow and let u know if its oil or water.
Old February 25th, 2010, 01:05 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
You're right Dave! If you have oil popping out of the oil filler cap (when remove) or out of the oil dipstick (again when remove) it's a sign of worn engine. I had an engine that was so worn out that it was actually popping out the oil dipstick itself!!!
Old February 25th, 2010, 01:07 AM
D90tdi
Corey
1984 Landrover 90

wow i will deff check tht out man keeps getting worse and worse!!! if worn wht will i have to do then..... mite sound silly ?
Old February 25th, 2010, 01:10 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Have the pistons chambers re bored, install oversize pistons with new rings. You might be lucky and only have to replace the rings.. But usually, I ain't that lucky...
Old February 25th, 2010, 01:15 AM
D90tdi
Corey
1984 Landrover 90

ok i will get back at you tommrow and tell you what i found out thanks for all the help deff learning alott rite now!!
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:17 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Some breathing from the 200 tdi is quite normal and nothing to worry about. The intercooler has to be flushed out every so often- about 2 -3 years because of oily residue build up from the oil vapor introduced to the intake system from the crank case vent.
There should be a tube about 12 -13mm dia on the air filter canister that the tube from the top of the oil separator connects to. The system is the same on the dicso engine, the plumbing is slightly different though. Just connect up the tube to the air filter. My filter boxes collect a small puddle of oil over the year don't worry overly 200 tdi's go on for ever. My wife's disco 200 has 250,000 miles and you can still see the honing on the bores, (needed a new head gasket).

------ Follow up post added February 25th, 2010 07:19 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
What happens when you take the oil cap off, does it puff smoke out of the filler hole as well?

How about the dip stick hole?

Is it possible that the hose going back to the oil pan could be blocked or plugged?
The separator needs cleaning out as part of regular servicing.
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:31 AM
D90tdi
Corey
1984 Landrover 90

Thanks mike i will deff hook it up and see wht happends. i guess i am still stuck on how much we had to work on dads v8 discovery haha
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:29 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Give the engine an oil change, and use flushing oil too, see how long the oil stays clean for, that's a good indication of engine wear. My 110 oil stays clean for 500 -1000 miles, by clean I men difficult to see the oil on the dipstick. The 90 less so, the 90 is less efficient too in the fuel department and breathes more but not to the point of my feeling the need to do anything about it.
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:32 PM
D90tdi
Corey
1984 Landrover 90

OK so i did as dave said and took the oil cap off a smoke came ok and then took the dipstick out and it did the same!! ooo Noooooo Should i panic now???
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:18 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90tdi View Post
OK so i did as dave said and took the oil cap off a smoke came ok and then took the dipstick out and it did the same!! ooo Noooooo Should i panic now???
I'd still give it an oil change and flush. The rings might be stuck.
Put one of the flushing agents that you put in the old oil and run the engine for 10 minutes before draining. Then do a second engine flush with flushing oil, leave it at a fast tick over for 1/2 hour and drain whilst it's good and hot. You only need 5 litres of the flushing oil. This second flush will probably be black too but will have shifted a lot of muck.
Change the filter and add some high detergent diesel oil. Change the oil every 5000 miles max. If it doesn't use too much oil or make too much smoke from the exhaust and pulls well I wouldn't worry. Give it a new air filter and see if the intercooler needs cleaning out. I use petrol, but make sure it's dry internally before restarting the engine or it might over rev destructively.
I always use engine flush in the old oil every change and do the second flush with flushing oil every other change. Diesels are dirty and treat their oil harshly, you get a lot of soot in the oil so it pays not to skimp on the oil changes.

Then I'd think about getting the compression checked.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions