Smells like antifreeze........... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 9th, 2005, 01:33 AM
jchan88
james chan
1997 Defender 90 ST white

Smells like antifreeze...........

Hey all!!!
I purchased my 97 d-90 about three months ago and was raving about how wonderful and lucky i am to have a worry free car..Well, I guess i spoke too soon.... While i was driving the d90 today, i smelled antifreeze and didnt think anything of it, until i parked in the garage and the entire engine compartment was smoking and i noticed a drip...no a flowing stream of antifreeze making a nice puddle on the floor. I was too steamed (pun) to look further and was wondering if you D90 gurus know if i messed up the radiator or something came loose for the leak to occur? I apologize, im not mechanically inclined... thx in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Only way to know whats leaking is to find where it's leaking from. Start at the puddle, and go up.
If you're not sure detail wise what's what, take some photos and post them up here and we can try to diagnose further.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 9th, 2005, 06:42 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
that usually means a heater core..
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Or if the water pump is on it's way out fluid leaks out of the weep hole onto the fan and it sprays all over the engine. If it was steaming then it's hitting the exhaust, could be dripping out of the overflow tank. Do as Hans said, look to see where it came from and report back.
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:37 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
I just had the same thing happen, but it was the radiator. The A/C fan ended up wearing a tiny whole in the radiator. Take it to any shop and have it pressure tested.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:16 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Could be a # of things...

I just had it happen and it was the thermostat/temp sender unit leaking a bit... Looked as if everything was leaking.

Don't worry yourself to death just yet, bring it to a garage or even Super-Lube and they'll at least diagnose it for next to nothing...

N

Old February 9th, 2005, 11:22 AM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

Better then smelling like shit or teen spirit. That could get you arrested. Just my useless imput.

Larry
Old February 9th, 2005, 11:45 AM
jchan88
james chan

larry, thanks for the humor....but im stressing that this is going to cost me $$$. anyway is it okay if i fill it up with antifreeze for the time being and drive to my neighborhood mechanic which is about 5 miles away? will i hurt anything or should i get a tow?
Old February 9th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

5 miles shouldn't be a big deal, but towing is always a safe bet.

Mike was right, steam means it was hitting the exhaust manfold. There are about 8 connections in the hoses between the heater core and the engine, so might just be a bad heater hose or something like that as well. Hoses tend to blow out more in the cold, and you guys have been having a cold spell there, correct?

-Hans

Follow-up Post:

Oh, I forgot to add.

Defenders really should get a flatbed for towing since they are full-time 4wd.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 9th, 2005, 03:56 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

As long as your temp. gauge stayed in normal range, you should not have done any damage.

My Disco had a leaky coolant reservoir once. 'something else to check.
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:12 PM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

Did you manage to see where it is leaking from. Where under the truck. Front of the engine capartment, left, right side?

Larry
Old February 9th, 2005, 11:03 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

I am in morrison and could swing by and take a look at it. Let me know.
brian
720-219-2288
Old February 9th, 2005, 11:10 PM
jchan88
james chan

hey brian.....is it too late to give u a call today?
Old February 10th, 2005, 11:26 PM
jchan88
james chan

I wanted to thank brian again for coming down and taking a look at my 90. It was determined that it was leaking from the top seal of the water pump. I will take pictures tomorrow, but does this sound like the pump is going out or is it just a gasket thing?....
Old February 10th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

There is a hole under the output shaft of the water pump that the fan is connected to. Usually this is where it will leak from if the fan fails--it is actually designed to do that. If it is leaking from the seal between the pump and the front cover, it is probably not a big deal--just get a new gasket and redo it or use something like rightstuff.
Old February 11th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

just replace the pump. They are cheap, and it is a smart move with that engine.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 11th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I agree with Dave, unless the pump is new, if you are going to do all the work to remove it and replace the gasket then I would put a new pump on, you can get them for around $100 or so.
Old April 21st, 2005, 08:28 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

if it's not one thing... it's another... :(

Mike Hippert & James Chan & anyone:

While I was replacing the starter, I noticed that a coolant leak had started, I originally thought it was a hose but it's not... Had a friend (who's not really familiar with LR's but knowledgeable) look at it and he said it was the water pump.

So, James... Do you have those pics you stated in your earlier post ? or does anyone ? I'm going to try and take pictures but I'm at work and don't have a camera.

I'm not 100% sure it's the water pump, I really don't know what it looks like but it's got a pulley wheel & belt in front of it and is right next to the left-side (if you're facing the front of the vehicle) hose that connects the radiator to the engine, the top hose.

And, how hard is this to replace ? Do I have to pull the whole radiator & everything ??

Please help if you can fella's.

Thanks

Nicholas Orros

Old April 21st, 2005, 09:22 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Nicholas, I pmed ya, but if coolant looks like it's comming from behind the pulley the it's the water pump. If you have AC the water pump pulley is the one that drives the AC compressor. It is inbetween the Alternator and the AC compressor. if you go from the middle of the engine and start moving down it will be the first pulley you come in contact with.

Behind the pulley is a weep hole, and when the bearing in the pump wears out it starts to leak coolant, signalling that it needs to be replaced.
Old April 21st, 2005, 09:54 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

MIKE,
Thank you for the PM.

You rule once again... YES! It is the water pump... (the one that drives the A/C pulley).

So, I DO NOT have to take off the Radiator & Fan and all that stuff ? I can replace the water pump without doing this ? (THIS is where I'm confused... )

I was thinking I had to go out and get this part:
http://www.difflock.com/cgi-bin/wm10...001&item=DF498

I'm also a little 'lost' on :

- What 'starter bracket' need to come off ?

- And I'm not sure about the 'clutch fan' ? (I don't know what it looks like)

- Oh, and you mentioned coating the bolts with sealant as they go back into the block for the water pump... I have 'anti-seize' (that silver stuff) is that what you mean ? or that 'loctite' stuff, I have some of that too. ?

- Lastly, you mentioned replacing the belts... Well, I replaced them about 2 years ago with GATES belts and they look fine. What do you think ?

...There goes my weekend... LOL... I love it though, in a way.

THANKS

N

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions