Smells like antifreeze........... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 21st, 2005, 10:06 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

The tool in the link makes things easier but is not necessary.

The By Clutch fan I mean the fan on the radiator, you will need to remove it and the fan shroud.

I meant Alternator bracket not starter , if you look at the water pump the alt tensioner comes down and attaches to the water pump bolts.

Nope Anit-seize is are corrosion inhibitor, Loctite keeps the bolts from loosening from vibration, you want something to seal them up, Right Stuff works GREAT! You can buy Right Stuff at any auto store, it's only $10 and it should be in your tool box in the Rover all the time.

If the belts are good then don't worry about them, the reason I suggested it is you have to take the fan off to replace some of them and it's kinda a PITA to pull the fan just to do the belts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2005, 02:07 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Hey Mike, much appreciated again.

Ok, now I get it...lol...

Last question (I hope)... Say I didn't get that tool, which I probably won't be able to... What size is it ? And what can I use as a replacement...?

I have lots of sockets, some regular wrenches, but once I start pulling this thing apart I'm not going to have transportation to go 'get tools' so I just wanna make sure.

Oh, and as far as the 'sealant' goes... can I use 'HYLOMAR' ?

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:11 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

I pulled my viscous fan off with a strap wrench and large cresant wrench with big cheater bars...Remember reverse thread on the fan...Oh, I had to remove the belts and then thread the strap wrench on the pulley. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2005, 09:21 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Brian,

Hey, I appreciate it...

I called a local private auto parts store and they had a 'clutch fan kit' that would work for about $50. The tool I mentioned above from Land Rover is a size 32mm on one end and 36mm on the other, and from what I hear the 36mm is what's needed. So, hopefully this will work.

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:45 AM
jstrong98
Jon Strong

raving about how wonderful and lucky i am to have a worry free car

now thats funny............
Old April 22nd, 2005, 05:59 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

it's a 32... fuck.

N

Old April 22nd, 2005, 11:06 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

Nicholas,

I have a bicycle headset wrench that is a 32mm, it is a very thin wrench. I tried it, but the cresant wrench seemed to get a better bite on the nut. It is just a wierd angle.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 12:50 AM
naeirie
Nilo Enerio
95 D90 ST #2571

Registry
Nicholas,

The size wrench I used is a 1 1/14. Turn the nut clockwise.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:34 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

HELP!!! haha...

I appreciate it guys.

I went down to Sears today and purchased an open ended 32mm wrench and used a piece of wood to pry the wheel and it came right off. I still wished I purchased that part, would have made it a lot easier.

Anyway, I installed the new water pump BUT in the process (after taking out the radiator) I accidentally 'hit' the other 'radiator looking thing' (I'm guessing it's an oil cooler ? I don't know) and now it's been 'HISSING' for half an hour. I know I messed something up but what is it ?

THANKS... I don't want to bother Mike on his trail ride, though he said it was ok to call, and whatever it is I broke, it's right there so if I have to change it out then so be it.

Nicholas Orros

--... I narrowed it down to the A/C compressor... oh well, I may be able to get it welded, it's not a big hole.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions