Small tool kits for road trip? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 5th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Small tool kits for road trip?

I'm flying to Salt Lake City to drive home a '95 RR County LWB this week. It appears to be in great condition - by far the best I've seen in a few months of looking - and has passed a third party inspection. Just had major service addressing a number of things (plugs, wires, fuel pump, etc...).

I don't anticipate any troubles with it, but figure I'd be a damn fool to drive 2000 miles in the middle of winter without being prepared at least a little. So I'm looking for suggestions on the critical/bare minimum tool kit. I have to fly, so no kitchen sink lists - which is what I found on searching the forum.

I've got a workshop manual. What else would you folks suggest?

Oh, and I apologize in advance as this isn't a Defender (a. can't afford it right now, and b. I don't fit in one very well).

-matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Monkeyboy

Cell phone, AAA card and a list of folks along the way that you can call.

I'm in Des Moines ... pm me for contact info.

Seriously, when you're in SLC I'd be sure you've got a good breaker bar and socket for tire removal, pick up some filters (air/oil/fuel) coolant, oil, gear lube, hub nut wrench ... uh oh, I'm starting to look for the kitchen sink ...

Keith
Old February 5th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Thanks, Keith. I'm heading south to 70E in lieu of 80E... puts Moab reasonably along the route, along with Loveland pass... I'm driving instead of having delivered partly for timing, but largely so I can see a few things, even if only in passing, along the way. Never seen the Rockies before.

I suppose I ought to ask what are the most commonly used tools for a Rover? I figured on bringing a few basic winter-trip things regardless (tow strap+D shackles, sleeping bag...). I'm curious if there is a "no matter what, don't forget your 1/2" socket wrench, you need it for everything" type list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2007, 01:50 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

duct tape and WD40
if it moves and shouldn't use the duct tape
if it doesn't move and should use the WD40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 5th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Make sure you have a 13mm wrench and socket -- it seems as though every other bolt is 13mm.
Old February 5th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

So farů
Cell phone / and contact info
Breaker bar and socket setů incl. 13mm
Oil/air/fuel filters
Antifreeze/coolant
Oil
WD40
Duct tape
Flashlight/batteries
Flares
Sleeping bag
Old February 5th, 2007, 02:19 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I like my little Metrich kit. That and a set of gear wrench and something to get the lugnuts off.

Once you get back to civilization I would recommend carrying some spare parts. I keep an alternator, water pump, computer, cap/rotor/wires/coil in my truck at all times as well as fluids and bulbs and fuses.

Mechanic's wire (in annealled stainless steel) is also a good thing to have.

Ron

Ron
Old February 5th, 2007, 02:35 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I never go anywhere without a 9/16" box end wrench so I can remove a driveshaft if the u-joint starts to go out. You can lock the center diff if you have an LT230 or just run with the viscous in high range and drive in 2wd to nurse it for quite a distance.
Old February 5th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
... I would recommend carrying some spare parts. I keep an alternator, water pump, computer, cap/rotor/wires/coil in my truck at all times as well as fluids and bulbs and fuses...
How terrible of me would it be to think you're kidding?

Those Metrinch sets are nice ($$$)... I'll bring the Craftsman kits i already have, though.
Old February 5th, 2007, 04:16 PM
evilfij
evilfij

"How terrible of me would it be to think you're kidding?"

How long have you owned a rover? Is this going to be your first? EEEK Please tell me at least it has coil springs on it now instead of the air suspension. The spares are light and easy to carry. I have some other crap back there too like a serp belt etc. All in one box and one gym bag.

I got the metrich for $20 at a closeout place 6 years ago. Everyone got a set for christmas that year. :-)
Old February 5th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Coil spring conversion was done, yes.

First rover, yep. Now don't go scaring me already, fercripesakes! At least let me go broke trying to fix the beast all the time first.

More seriously, how often do you replace an alternator, water pump or computer? If I don't want to know, tell me anyway.
Old February 5th, 2007, 04:31 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Water pumps go between 90-150k, alternator lasts about 80-120k (assuming you buy a good one not a reman.), (hence with 155k on the originals I carry spares!!!) computers theoretically never die but they are great to swap back and forth for diagnostic purposes, ignition stuff (cap and rotor) are service items at 30k, wires should be done at 60k or 4-5 years or so.

I forgot I also carry a spare upper hose as I have had two of them blow on me (three if you count the one that blew on a truck I owned driven by someone else).

Just be prepared is all.
Old February 5th, 2007, 04:51 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Don't forget zip ties.. they fix everthing. And a few shop rags. I always have a wool blanket rooled up with me so if I have to get under the truck in some wierd place I can keep a little cleaner..
Old February 5th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Digital camera and lots of gass money !

2000 miles in an LWB & you have several Mtn ranges to cross. I average in the low teens with my lwb so I'm betting you go thru 140-160 gallons of fuel. The trip sounds awesome.
Crossing the rockies in winter after all the snow they have had should be awesome.
Love to see it when you get it back to Md.
Old February 5th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Thanks, all.

Doug, I'll drop you a line when I'm back i town. I have been hearing from the Mrs that I better take lots of pictures. I'm being assigned the digi cam and the video camera.

I'm figuring $500+/- in gas, delivery I got quotes between 900-1200. With airfare, hotels, and food, I'll save a few dollars, not much. BUT, I get to see Salt Lake City, the Rockies, Colorado, Moab and the Arches N.P... Not to mention the amazing solitude of the plains in winter. Years ago on a trip that doesn't get discussed, we crossed N. and S. Dakotas in January... there was no division between field and sky. White in 360 degrees except that ribbon of black going straigh ahead.

Anywho... I'm excited.
Old February 5th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Monkeyboy

Crap, I forgot that there's a serpentine belt and an alternator in there too

Yup, and anytime I'm headed anywhere outta town, the ignition bits go along for the ride too ... you know, the most recently replaced cap / rotor / wires...
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Everytime I read something like that, I think to myself "Damn I'm glad I went diesel!"
Old February 5th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

FWIW, the reason for flying out Thursday and driving back Thursday through Saturday is that should something really fail... businesses are open.

Naive question... is it really worth buying a serpentine belt (no big deal) and an alternator (a few hundred bucks)?

It was just given a major service including:
Bosch Fuel Filter, intake manifold Gasket, Gasket Kit, Intake Manifold, wheel bearing seal, rear brake discs, locker for wheel bearing, shift linkage, distributor cap, hose, distributor rotor, TPS sensor, ignition coil, ignition amplifier, champion spark plugs, ignition wire set. The fuel tank and pump were also replaced Thursday during the inspection.
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:25 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson00
Thanks, Keith. I'm heading south to 70E in lieu of 80E... puts Moab reasonably along the route, along with Loveland pass... I'm driving instead of having delivered partly for timing, but largely so I can see a few things, even if only in passing, along the way. Never seen the Rockies before.

I suppose I ought to ask what are the most commonly used tools for a Rover? I figured on bringing a few basic winter-trip things regardless (tow strap+D shackles, sleeping bag...). I'm curious if there is a "no matter what, don't forget your 1/2" socket wrench, you need it for everything" type list.
Just so you know, I buy adult beverages for all rovers that pass through Evergreen CO (5 minutes off of I-70 as soon as you get into the mountains.)

If you get thirsty let me know. The old El Rancho restaraunt serves a good ale and it's less than 5 minutes out of your way.

BT
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:48 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I carry a crappy socket set and a nice breaker bar, hammer, crappy electrical connection kit (with a bit of 14 ga. wire), parachute cord, zip ties, wd-40, duct tape, small tube of marine epoxy (bout the size of 2 35mm film cans end to end), 10-in-1 Klein screwdriver/nut driver, 2 sets crappy slip joint pliers.
Grab a quart of brake, ATF, oil, and fuel dryer (octane booster).

Looks like alot, but it fits in a remarkably small dry bag (bout the size of a shoe box).

Just flew with all of this from VA to CT to make a similar trip, but for an '89 RRC. Now it's out back with half the engine torn apart.

Welcome to the crowd, say goodbye to your money.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
kit, trip