Small tool kits for road trip? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 6th, 2007, 12:04 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Would add a spare cell phone car charger.

BTW, What's money???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2007, 12:19 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I have found you can pretty much disassemble a series hybrid with what fits in a tool roll, good channel locks can substitute the 52mm hub socket. I don't think a 12 volt test lamp has been mentioned.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottYates

BTW, What's money???
It's this stuff that people that don't drive rovers seem to have, some even save it like they have EXTRA!?
Old February 6th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

I'm not sure if you guys are brutal or helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2007, 09:39 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

There is no real point to carrying the alternator unless you have one already. I would not be particularly concerned about the belt as they give some warning usually, unless the bearing siezes on something like the alternator or water pump and that causes the belt failure. :-)

Ron
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Yep, brutal...
Old February 6th, 2007, 10:32 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

If you are going thru Moab, then you are headed in my direction. I'm 2 hours from there, in Durango. If you need anything I'm happy to help. PM me for my info. And as BT said, beers are on me. I also have plenty of racking room if thats all you need. I would however, suggest heading to Telluride which is also not far from Moab. It is the best mtn town I have seen in Colorado. From there you can wind back up thru the upper Colorado Rockies.

Pray for snow, at least that way you can keep up with the traffic.
Old February 6th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

If you are flying out thursday and need to be back by Saturday, you really wont have much time for any side excursions. That is a long ass drive. I've done it twice in two different RRC the past two years. From central PA to Vail it is about 30 hours of driving. ARe you going to have a co-pilot? If not, hopefully your cruise control is working! Especially in Kansas.

I would also buy a case of red bull or those Starbucks double shots things (you'll need them!)

I also put in some Lucas Fuel Stabilizer at every fill-up. It claims to boost mileage. Might be a myth, but its cheap and it cant hurt. You can buy the 1 gallon jug at any truck stop for like $20 and that will last way longer than even the drive back. I started doing this over a year ago when I drove out to get some better mpg but now I do it at every fill-up.

Maybe check tire pressure too before you leave. Since its all high speed highway and you want good mpg, you should run them at higher psi than normal I would imagine.

Good luck! Sounds like fun!
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:12 AM
evilfij
evilfij

"Yep, brutal... "

Honesty is a virtue.

You know I do own six of these things . . . .

I mean unless the bearing on the water pump siezes solid at high rpm and shoots the fan blade and coupler through the hood you should be fine with just replacing the belt and the water pump. I would throw the spare alternator on there as well while you are at it. In fact, just drop by the dealer and trade it in on an 07. They have free roadside assistance.

:-)
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

You're killing me... I've already got an earful from my loudmouth-mechanic neighbor and coworkers... "you're driving what, where, when!? You idiot."

Screw it, I'm just going to go and drive the f#$%er home or until the wheels fall off.
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:47 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Oh don't worry about it. Classics are great trucks! They're more reliable than people make them out to be. And the drive will be comfortable! Ours only let us down once and it was the wiring for the fuel pump. The major thing is the air suspension and that's already been taken care of!
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

OK, more, more!

I need to read more posts like Chris's. Puhleeeeeeeeese, folks.

:D
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

No worries, mate!
Newf d-90 and I drove an old beater 110 home from Georgia a couple months ago. No spare parts, hell I didn't even have a screw driver. That old gal lust purred like a kitten all the way home. Good Karma will carry you a long way. 23 hours door to door.
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:44 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

You guys must bonded very good

Matt, if you need help through or around Denver Metro area you can always call me.
P.M. if you need my contact info.

Good luck with the drive.
Old February 6th, 2007, 03:03 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward
Newf d-90 and I drove an old beater 110 home from Georgia a couple months ago. No spare parts, hell I didn't even have a screw driver. That old gal lust purred like a kitten all the way home. Good Karma will carry you a long way. 23 hours door to door.
Yeah, good times! AAA card, cell phone and whatever was in the truck when we picked it up. Oh, and a fair amount of Rockstar.

Cold and noise were the only problems, and you've already got them beat in a Classic! That is, unless the heater core takes a dump on your feet. Just kidding. Seriously, my old 95 RRC was very reliable. Matter of fact, I may have to get another some day; I do miss that truck...

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old February 6th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
"fact, just drop by the dealer and trade it in on an 07. They have free roadside assistance.

:-)
OMG, I'm gonna fall off the chair laughing !!!

You'll be fine .... but be sure to biring along the camera just in case

LOL,

KAA
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson00
Screw it, I'm just going to go and drive the f#$%er home or until the wheels fall off.
That's exactly what I did with my 90 just about a year ago. I was so excited to get out to VA and get back to Aspen, I forgot a map and pretty much anything else that common sense would tell you to have. I did stop and get a breaker bar and socket as it dawned on me in WVA, but I had no problems, got to know the truck (until it wouldn't go in -18F), and basically froze my ass off.

Best of luck, and call me if anything happens between SLC and Glenwood, the Jeff Summerhill's got your back, the Jeff Corwin or a multitude of other folks in Denver, then Pendy in Kansas and so on...............You're covered.
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:41 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Matt I am sure you have seen this, but lets just say I have done things with a much lower chance of success and higher chance of failure.

www.whereisjaney.com

On the way out [Maine to NH to Buffalo to San Jose] we:
1. Had the water pump fail [knew it had issues when we left]
2. Had the alternator not charge much
3. Had the fuel pump wiring fail
4. Had the exhaust fall off
5. Had the truck get vapor lock from the exhaust heating the fuel tank

On the way back [San Jose to NH], Mike and his dad:
1. Blew the top radiator hose, but we knew this was questionable when we left (I had duct taped it before the trip out to reinforce it).

On the way from New Hampshire to Philly:

1. Nothing broke

Ron
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Forgot to mention: Call me if you have any trouble on Vail Pass (I live at the start of Vail Pass in East Vail--pretty damn cold!) 973-249-5454

Or if you want to stop in Vail and get a Breckenridge Vanilla Stout. They are the cat's pajamas!

I also have an extra RRC radiator in the garage if need be!
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

All for naught

Work emergency came up. The trip is postponed for now. I'm not sure if I'll have to ship the RR or if I'll find time in the next coupla weeks to drive it back. Guilt caused me to answer th phone after switching off the lights in the office (you know, that last bit of effort to feel better about taking 2 days on no notice?).

It was a client who has a deadline my boss didn't tell me about. I can't get the work done from the road, and am in responsible charge of meeting the deadline. I feel like a friggin' little kid who had his new toy taken away on Christmas.

Thanks for all the help. I compiled a list of stuff to carry anyway (including for a postponed drive home), and a list of contacts out that way in case I manage to get out there. The delay, on the bright side, may enable me to bring a copilot.
Old February 8th, 2007, 01:27 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

Picked up a 1988' RRC in oxford,MS right outside Ole miss about a month and half ago, I drove my moms LR3 with my freind who was going to drive it back. We made it their in under 4 hours from nashville I handed the owner 800.00 and took the truck and title. First thing I did was get to an auto parts store and buy the lucas fuel injector cleaner, this RRC has over 220k on the original 3.5(as far as I know), And it seemed to help out alot. The tools I brought were,screw driver set,socket set,wd-40,duct tape,cell phone,CB,allen wrench,and my AAA card. We made it back to nashville without a problem doing about 80-85 most of the way, The speedo didn't work and it had no radio or muffler, so my freind told me how fast we had been going when we stopped for gas. Not bad for a 3.5...... Good luck with your trip

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
kit, trip