Sluggish uphill standard 2.5 diesel engine - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old September 14th, 2014, 06:27 AM
Stephen Fitzgerald
Status: Offline
Stephen Edward Fitzgerald
Land Rover 90 Defender 1988
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 4
Question Sluggish uphill standard 2.5 diesel engine

I am the proud new owner of a Defender 90 - 1988 model. I am pleased in every way EXCEPT he doesn't like climbing long hills. Will cruise at 70mph for ever but will only achieve 45 - 50mph on these long hills. The power is there but not the speed. Is this normal?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old September 14th, 2014, 06:40 AM
solarguy's Avatar
solarguy
Status: Offline
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales Fl. USA
Posts: 2,029
Registry
I it a 2.5 na? If so the engine only has 68 Hp.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old September 14th, 2014, 07:18 AM
greenmountainrover's Avatar
greenmountainrover
Status: Offline
Derek Chace
84 Lightweight FFR
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Charlotte VT
Posts: 1,662
Registry
That's normal
__________________
Green Mountain Rovers your Defender/Series sales and importation specialist.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

802-655-4874
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old September 14th, 2014, 07:24 AM
NPT90's Avatar
NPT90
Status: Offline
JT
D90 óriginalé
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DC/MD
Posts: 2,772
Registry
You're lucky to be hitting 70 on the flats. My 2.5 was running larger tires and I couldn't get past 65 to save my life lol
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old September 14th, 2014, 08:14 AM
1of40's Avatar
1of40
Status: Offline
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Potomac Falls & Wintergreen, Virginia
Posts: 6,081
Registry
Very normal. I've trained myself to sit back and relax. For the first year I struggled and fought it. But I've learned to sit back, relax and enjoy it.

Clay
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old September 14th, 2014, 08:19 AM
Rocky's Avatar
Rocky
Status: Offline
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colonies Aka Boston
Posts: 8,780
Recall once hitting 70mph in a 2.25 109. That was more than flat out on the runway at Biggin Hill when the RAF still controlled the airfield. That was not normal and my CO had plenty of words with me for doing that.
__________________
A friend of mine runs a land rover / range rover specialty repair shop. Based on his experience, they are capable of stopping anywhere, anytime, at any cost.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old September 14th, 2014, 08:57 AM
rdavisinva's Avatar
rdavisinva
Status: Offline
Robert Davis
N/A
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 6,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fitzgerald View Post
I am the proud new owner of a Defender 90 - 1988 model. I am pleased in every way EXCEPT he doesn't like climbing long hills. Will cruise at 70mph for ever but will only achieve 45 - 50mph on these long hills. The power is there but not the speed. Is this normal?
Stephen:
As stated previously, perfectly normal.
Have you verified with a GPS that you in fact are actually going 70mph?
You could have a record setting 2.5...
I once pulled out on the highway in a 2.5 powered 109 and a car five miles back almost hit me.
__________________
RDavisinVA

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old September 14th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Stephen Fitzgerald
Status: Offline
Stephen Edward Fitzgerald
Land Rover 90 Defender 1988
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
You're lucky to be hitting 70 on the flats. My 2.5 was running larger tires and I couldn't get past 65 to save my life lol

Well that has made me feel a little better! Thanks

------ Follow up post added September 14th, 2014 03:53 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Stephen:
As stated previously, perfectly normal.
Have you verified with a GPS that you in fact are actually going 70mph?
You could have a record setting 2.5...
I once pulled out on the highway in a 2.5 powered 109 and a car five miles back almost hit me.
Hmmm! That's funny! (Was it meant to be??)

------ Follow up post added September 14th, 2014 03:55 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Very normal. I've trained myself to sit back and relax. For the first year I struggled and fought it. But I've learned to sit back, relax and enjoy it.

Clay
Thanks Clay. You may have hit the nail on the head! It is struggle swapping between a 'modern' vehicle' and the Landy. Perhaps I should avoid motorways from now on.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old September 14th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Dogpilot's Avatar
Dogpilot
Status: Offline
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 311
Registry
My series III 2.5 diesel could actually invent hills. It was more sensitive than a laser level in detecting uphill grades. Now you can increase the speed by using a clever computer model. It will plan your trips to always be downhill with a tailwind. Of course, you may never return to your original starting point, but you will be getting wherever faster.

My wife was never fond of that one, but as I mentioned, I really couldn't hear her dissatisfaction over the noise of the diesel at highway speeds. Now it can be worse, you could have a diesel VW Vanagon Westfalia. It was the slowest production car ever made. It had the nickname of "moving guardrail" with truckers. Even my gas powered VW VAnagon Syncro Westfalia (the 4WD version) was slow, so slow, we where on I-40 near Hector and the grade had slowed us to 45 mph. Now here is something you never expect your wife to say, "is this as fast as it will go?" So she supported my upgrading the engine from a 2.1L to a 2.4L. Then it more or less kept up speed with the flow of traffic. There is a complete 300 Tdi engine & transmission kit on ebay right now, speed awaits you.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old September 14th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Stephen Fitzgerald
Status: Offline
Stephen Edward Fitzgerald
Land Rover 90 Defender 1988
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpilot View Post
My series III 2.5 diesel could actually invent hills. It was more sensitive than a laser level in detecting uphill grades. Now you can increase the speed by using a clever computer model. It will plan your trips to always be downhill with a tailwind. Of course, you may never return to your original starting point, but you will be getting wherever faster.

My wife was never fond of that one, but as I mentioned, I really couldn't hear her dissatisfaction over the noise of the diesel at highway speeds. Now it can be worse, you could have a diesel VW Vanagon Westfalia. It was the slowest production car ever made. It had the nickname of "moving guardrail" with truckers. Even my gas powered VW VAnagon Syncro Westfalia (the 4WD version) was slow, so slow, we where on I-40 near Hector and the grade had slowed us to 45 mph. Now here is something you never expect your wife to say, "is this as fast as it will go?" So she supported my upgrading the engine from a 2.1L to a 2.4L. Then it more or less kept up speed with the flow of traffic. There is a complete 300 Tdi engine & transmission kit on ebay right now, speed awaits you.

Thanks Dogpilot!

I am getting to grips with all of these helpful comments and having a good laugh at the same time! Don't really want to change a good engine so I will take my time and get used to what my Landy has to offer! Thanks again
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old September 14th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Dogpilot's Avatar
Dogpilot
Status: Offline
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 311
Registry
I never swapped out that engine either, pulling power of a tractor. I kept it for 7 years all during our stay in Europe and in California and Florida. It finally got the axe when we started producing larva. Wife felt the larva in the wet wiggly stage should have some form of AC in Florida. I loved that truck as much as my wife hated it. My only concession was to put an overdrive in it. Here it is in the Sierras in Coyote Flats:

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old September 14th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Stephen Fitzgerald
Status: Offline
Stephen Edward Fitzgerald
Land Rover 90 Defender 1988
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 4
Wow! Quite the explorer!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel, engine

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video land rovers extreme uphill albertdefender Trips, Trails and Events 4 February 26th, 2014 06:23 PM
Sluggish starter in Series 3 kjva Series Technical Discussions 4 December 23rd, 2012 01:55 PM
Sluggish starting tdi mikeslandrover Defender Technical Discussions 15 February 17th, 2010 04:17 AM
sluggish power and keeping cabin cooler stever Defender Technical Discussions 3 April 22nd, 2005 12:53 PM
Optima and standard D90 bracket artm Defender Technical Discussions 10 January 13th, 2004 04:24 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.


Copyright