slow coolant leak - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 7th, 2008, 06:29 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

slow coolant leak

Couldn't find this in search. I apologize if it's already out there. I have a 1997 D90 with 109k miles on it. The radiator had sludge and was sent out to a radiator shop a year and a half ago. Just to give some background. Now, every 4 months I need to add 1/2 gallon of antifreeze after the needle moves up. This solves the problem for a little while. I don't see coolant on the ground although occassionally I can smell it. What is the best way to diagnose this? I am hoping it's a connection or hose and not an internal water jacket or head gasket. But I am prepared for whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

can you see any little puddles under the hood?
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:33 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
might be a leaky expansion tank??

~Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2008, 08:23 PM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

check the water pump as well.
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Heater core ? This are famous leaking points on Range Rover classic's
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Is it possible that it is running down the block and buring off? Look under the motor and inspect the head and block mating surfaces...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Turd Ferguson
Frank
94 D-90

Iam experiencing the same problem and cant figure out what to blame it on. Did you ever diagnose the problem?
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:04 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

When the car is running, is the upper radiator hose pressurized? If not, I am going with the water pump is leaking. Also check the back of the block as the intake gasket and head gaskets like to leak. Heater cores on D90s do not seem to be a huge problem issue, but you could bypass it easy enough to check.

Ron
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Could also be a porous block ( worst case scenario ) ex: coolant leaking into combustion chamber and being burned away. It's rare but possible if nothing else seems to make sense. It's also my understanding that if you get a porous block you have to buy a new one.

Robert Deniro
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:21 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
If you can smell it, then its evaporating somewhere.. this means its running or dripping on the engine. Might also be a leaking heater core, you'd smell it when you run the heat.. Check the thermostat housing, maybe the waterpump.

~Steve
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I have had problems with my range rover in the past.

Twice it was as simple as the hose clamps had loosened. Once it was a bad hose that must have had a pin hole in it.

One other time, my water pump was leaking through the purge valve. If it is the water pump, you would definitely see coolant on the ground in my experience. Every time I parked, it spewed out some water on the ground.

However, in all the instances, the radiator still cooled the water adequately.

If the temp is rising, your radiator might be due for a replacement. I had mine flushed at one point but that only seemed like a stopgap.

What I was told that worked for me was to idle the truck until it reaches temperature and observe under carefully under the hood.
Old June 18th, 2008, 05:03 AM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

I got my truck to start again. It was the connector to the fuel pump. Big props to Atomic 4x4 in Cedar Park, TX. They specialize in Jeeps and do great work on them. As a favor they have done some work on my Defender as my former employer was 2 miles from their shop. With that plug out of the way, the next issue is the slow coolant leak. Since there are drops under the truck, I think it's a water pump leaking as this is the stock water pump on a truck with 112,000 miles on it. Is there a better source than Rover's North for $278? I'll take used and working perfectly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coolant