Sliders for 110...who makes a solid pair? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 18th, 2012, 01:48 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
So essentially Mantec and all these other companies have chinsed out on their fabrication in recent years. Crikey! Probably will have to go the route of getting a cheap pair as suggested and hitting Jonathan up for some fab work on brackets.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2012, 01:50 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
My first 110 had a pair that were so strong you could put the slider against a bolder turn towards the bolder, let the clutch out, and pivot the entire truck on the stone with the only ill effect being paint scrapage on the slider. .
I did that with the 90 at Rausch (actually I think you were in front of me?) right after we went through all the obstacles where Kenny popped his tire, there was some spot across the path where you had to do a quick little hill climb, then there was a sharp rock on the right at the top that I had to pivot against on the drivers side. Not a 110, but mine are Rover Accessories - nice big scrape on them now, but it saved the truck! Charles was at the top for my first try, but I stalled and backed back down so I could get another run at it, and he was gone for my successful try.
Old April 18th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
So essentially Mantec and all these other companies have chinsed out on their fabrication in recent years. Crikey! Probably will have to go the route of getting a cheap pair as suggested and hitting Jonathan up for some fab work on brackets.
Yes, most "sliders" are just beefed up sills.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I'm not sure that they have really chinsed out exactly. I think it is more a problem of making an off the shelf product that will require a person to drill or weld on their frame. These manufacturers are struggling to produce a one size fits all HD product that requires some slack built in.

When I made mine I measured one side and tacked them together then when I went to fit them I had to move one of the brackets because the outriggers were in different places. I feel that mine are at best a heavy duty sill at this point until I decide to drill and mount to the frame in the rear. There is about 20" behind the rear outrigger mount that is just hanging out there.
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Oliver Whiting
Oliver Whiting
84 110, 94 NAS90,Bunch of EX-mods

Why buy cheap sliders to modify when you can go buy all the steel you need to make some of your own for around $100 bucks. Most steel supply places will cut everything to length, even angles for a minimal cut fee, fab them up and then you can have them hot dipped or powder coated. Most of the factory ones have a cheap paint or plastic coat on them.

It's not chinsing out, it's manufacturing a product for the masses to bolt on. The Asfir ones are the most well thought out bolt on ones I have seen and they are pretty darn stout.
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Whiting View Post
The Asfir ones are the most well thought out bolt on ones I have seen and they are pretty darn stout.
What is the price on the Asfir sliders for a 110? Thanks.

- Jon
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:29 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
I still haven't got round to putting sliders on this truck for this very reason (available off the shelf ones are too weak). Until I get chance to make some then I probably won't have any. Attached pic shows the most common problem for sliders out here. Coming down off a rock or ledge and a good bang does that to most off the shelf stuff easily. Even the not so cheap ones.

Buying a set of cheap bodies and beefing up the mount doesn't stop this as itís the body that bends if the mounts are strong enough to hold it.

On a 90 or 110 this front mount is the most wimpy of them all. Its typically just a plate with a hole in it for the front bulkhead bolt. A good tap (not even a bang) here, can twist it up into the body.

If you want a set of beefed up sills to keep the shopping carts off your doors, then get an off the shelf set (the ASFIR ones look pretty good in the drawing for a production set).

IMHO if you NEED a proper slider for solid off road protection then make them or have them made by somebody who understands what needs doing.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slider Damage.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	50487  
Old April 18th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Oliver Whiting
Oliver Whiting
84 110, 94 NAS90,Bunch of EX-mods

The Asfir sliders for a 110 are $533 and the front mount is a double sheer that uses the bulkhead bolt, the rear has a 3/16 steel plate that bolts to and strengthens the rear out rigger.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, slide