Slider recommendation - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 31st, 2010, 02:22 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Slider recommendation

I have an old set of Safarigard sliders on my truck that are setup like most sliders I've seen... i.e. a tube connection to the frame in back and then a little tab to a bolt in front... 90% of Defender sliders I've seen are setup this way. Unfortunately I found that a couple of good smacks and that front tab becomes useless and your sliders are suddenly cosmetic only (now my doors don't fit right and the pannels in front of and behind the doors are bent)...

I need a set of REAL sliders that will stand up to some hits...

what I know so far:

The equip ones have the same connection as the ones I have
The ones RN has are the same
The psyoptic-development sliders look awesome but aren't ready for production with no date for when they will be ready...

I don't know how the Rockware sliders connect...

who else does d90 sliders...

of course if I had a welder and any skill I'd probably just add some brackets and beef up the ones I have but alas...
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2010, 02:55 PM
berti1554
Robert Klima
84/110

Quote:
of course if I had a welder and any skill I'd probably just add some brackets and beef up the ones I have but alas...
Go and buy a welder, this' the best time for it. And the big advantage: you get what you want ;-)
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:02 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

You are in LA now, I am sure we can find you a welder. I think Spicoli's dad has an excellent set of tools
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2010, 03:21 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Can you find someone local to help beef your's up? I have Bill Burke sliders on my D90 but he no longer makes them. I blatantly riped off his design when making sliders for my 110 and did the same from mounting as well. These pictures are not the best but you should be able to see what the front brace looks like that goes to the front outrigger (in addition to a mount point which the body/bulkhead bolt goes through).

http://gallery.lhsw.com/view_photo.p...rs&id=DSC02981

hth
charles
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:49 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Hmmm... okay it looks like the recommendation is that I figure out a way to beef mine up.

If I wasn't in the middle of trying to move to California with half of my tools already in storage until June/July I'd be a lot more enthusiastic about buying a welder and using it as a chance to start learning... but perhaps with some direction from Barry and others here in LA I can get it worked out...

I'm anxiously awaiting Nola's arrival...
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:17 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Yes, tie them into the front outrigger.
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:08 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
You are in LA now, I am sure we can find you a welder. I think Spicoli's dad has an excellent set of tools
TV repair men can fix anything.

I made mine in about 2 hours.
And I love you too
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:58 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

The Safari Equip sliders I have are super solid, but the attachment system is a joke. I am making 1/4" brackets that wrap around the outriggers so I can bolt through and get a really solid mount. Probably will not get to It for a month or two though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:13 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I thnk the madcow ones are the best out there. I would wait for them.

But, if you want to make a drive to wine country, I would be happy to make you some supports and get it all solid.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:29 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
I thnk the madcow ones are the best out there. I would wait for them.

But, if you want to make a drive to wine country, I would be happy to make you some supports and get it all solid.
that's worth a drive just to see your ride in person...

As soon as Nola shows up I'll take you up on that... you'll need to tell me your favorite brew/poison though so I can bring some

Old March 31st, 2010, 11:36 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post
that's worth a drive just to see your ride in person...

As soon as Nola shows up I'll take you up on that... you'll need to tell me your favorite brew/poison though so I can bring some

I like anything cold. Let me know when you can make it and tell me what steel you need. I can pick some up if you tell me what you need. I need to buy some more welding gas too. You just reminded me!

If I feel uppity, maybe well even do some dimple dies. GOFAST.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:52 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

I don't have an arrival date yet but the shipper is supposed to call me tomorrow... so 1-2 weeks from there I think...

what steel I need might be the million dollar question for me though

I don't know maybe once Nola gets here I can take some measurements and make a plan for how to beef the attachments, otherwise I might need to come by twice: once to get you to help me figure out what to needs to be done and the second to do it...

guess I better buy a large cooler
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:52 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
I don't have an arrival date yet but the shipper is supposed to call me tomorrow... so 1-2 weeks from there I think...

what steel I need might be the million dollar question for me though

I don't know maybe once Nola gets here I can take some measurements and make a plan for how to beef the attachments, otherwise I might need to come by twice: once to get you to help me figure out what to needs to be done and the second to do it...

guess I better buy a large cooler
Naw,

Just early on a saturday. We can take a look and run over to the scrap yard. I just don't know what you got going on, so well have to take a peak on the best way to fix it.

I'll get you golden.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:40 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

excellent...

I'll send you a note when she shows up...
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:28 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Depending on how you plan to use the truck, you may want to consider the ones Jon Carter (Madcowdungbeetle) makes. They are an excellent design and supported very well. Drop him an email and sell the SG version off.

Old April 2nd, 2010, 02:13 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Depending on how you plan to use the truck, you may want to consider the ones Jon Carter (Madcowdungbeetle) makes. They are an excellent design and supported very well. Drop him an email and sell the SG version off.
The fact that the SG sliders aren't holding up should give you some idea of how I use my truck.

Getting the psyoptic-development aka Jon Carter aka Madcowdungbeetle sliders and selling off the SG sliders was the original plan but (see original post) there is no ETA for those sliders and I'd rather not continue to do damage to my rig while I wait for something that is essentially vaporware at this point... so perhaps just beefing these up really is the best option especially since there's a volunteer to help who's welding I highly respect...
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:14 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Have you talked to Jon? Scott has a set on his truck so I think vaporware is a bit strong. I'd talk to him before welding on your SG ones since it may affect the selling price (on the other hand modifying them to be stronger may improve it).
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:41 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
The fact that the SG sliders aren't holding up should give you some idea of how I use my truck.
There were two types of SG sliders, regular and their heavy duty versions. From what I understood, they both had problems bending up into the body, especially the regular version.

Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:26 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Have you talked to Jon? Scott has a set on his truck so I think vaporware is a bit strong. I'd talk to him before welding on your SG ones since it may affect the selling price (on the other hand modifying them to be stronger may improve it).
I exchanged e-mails with Jon which is where I learned that there is not yet even a target availability date. The existence of a pre-production set doesn't change their vapor-ware status in my mind but perhaps I misunderstood the message I got from Jon.

In any case, after taking a few hits my SG sliders are now cosmetic only as I can't even stick a jack under them without causing body damage.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:33 AM
JPBrown
James Brown
91 & 2000-110 -93 130 wagon, 88 d90

You could try Slick Rock fabrications in CO, not sure how they mount but I know some people that are very happy with them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
slide