Slider recommendation - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:36 AM
fenwaystan
Christopher Giles
1997 D-90

Have you reached out to Jordan at Rovertym in Raleigh, NC to see what he can make. His stuff is very stout and I think, though the Rovertym website doesn't mention them, he has made 90 sliders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:20 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Send Jon a note, I am sure that he could get you a set in 3-4 weeks.

Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:52 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Send Jon a note, I am sure that he could get you a set in 3-4 weeks.
I'm not sure what to say about that... I did send Jon a note and he responded that they weren't in production yet and he didn't know when they would be...

From the pictures and such that he posted up here they look beefier and stronger than anything I could make my SG sliders become but not available yet is not available yet...
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:57 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Did you like the ones on my truck? There is a fabrication place on abott kinney by my office. I can drive over and see what it would cost them to make another set.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:58 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
well... we're not building a piano
Sorry, couldn't resist. There should be an easy solution to this. Joooooooooooooooooon!

Otherwise since it sounds like yours are tweaked already - go Buck wild!
Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:03 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBrown View Post
You could try Slick Rock fabrications in CO, not sure how they mount but I know some people that are very happy with them.
I looked at Slick Rock but not knowing how they mount I didn't want to head that direction (unless someone could tell me what the mounting is like). A lot of people are happy with the SG sliders too...

------ Follow up post added April 2nd, 2010 09:04 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Did you like the ones on my truck? There is a fabrication place on abott kinney by my office. I can drive over and see what it would cost them to make another set.
Yours looked solid... at this point I think I'll see what I can do with Dave...

------ Follow up post added April 2nd, 2010 09:06 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwaystan View Post
Have you reached out to Jordan at Rovertym in Raleigh, NC to see what he can make. His stuff is very stout and I think, though the Rovertym website doesn't mention them, he has made 90 sliders.
I like Rovertym stuff... but do D90 sliders listed so I figured they weren't making any
Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:22 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Guys im on my cell phone. sorry for all this mixup. About to go on lunch break so ill be available to talk via phone. Brad please call me at your convenience.7O4577l683
Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:35 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post
I looked at Slick Rock but not knowing how they mount I didn't want to head that direction (unless someone could tell me what the mounting is like). A lot of people are happy with the SG sliders too...
It has been a few years since I have made any products.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 03:30 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowdungbeetle View Post
Guys im on my cell phone. sorry for all this mixup. About to go on lunch break so ill be available to talk via phone. Brad please call me at your convenience.7O4577l683
Hey,

Why don't you do up for him a version of what I was talking to you about. Then ship to me and I can weld it up for him. Best of both worlds.

BTW. im back in, but different than before. Call me so I can explain.

Cheers.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 05:02 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
I am in a similar position. I don't have any sliders on currently and my sills take a beating. I looked all around for a slider solution but couldn't find anything out there that I didn't think where much more than cosmetic. Wimpy, simple and badly thought out mounts stuck onto bits of painted box section is about all I could see of most of them. Bill Burke's are NLA, SG is pretty much in limbo until he gets back into the country and I cant get a good set of pics of how the Equipe ones mount (but from what I can tell it's about the same as the rest of them).

Jon's (Madcow) where the 1st set I saw where somebody had given consideration to both the cosmetics of the slider body AND the strength/effectiveness of the mounts. He's also prepared to set them up for air which SG never offered on their HD sets. My understanding from the last time we 'talked' is that he's waiting on getting hold of a TIG welder so that he can better control the quality of the production units. So I don't think 'vaporware' is a fair statement. He has 1 pre-fab set and at least 1 production set out there with from all accounts a very happy customer.

Since my sills are beat up already, I don't currently have a welder and I don't have a professional like Buck just up the road prepared to modify a set for me, I am waiting for Jon. I think he has by far the best solution out there right now even if it's still a few weeks away and requires a little patience on my part (not something I am known for normally).

YMMV

Ian
Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:03 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowdungbeetle View Post
I've been in meetings all day unable to do much else... I'll give you a call on Monday...
Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
OK, sorry I could not speak on this earlier, browsing this site from a cell phone while at work is a pain, especially when you want to type more than 4 sentences. To clear a couple things up. I have not announced an "official" production date, because I do not know exactly when it will be. I have been tweaking the final design and working with my laser cutter to minimize welding and grinding, while maximizing aesthetics and ease of assembly. I assure you they are not vaporware and in the end the final product will be worth it, I promise.

I have chosen to not have an official date because I did not want to disappoint people if I could not meet the timeline I had set forth. I know the Defender/Rover community has had bad experiences with certain vendors to not be named, never following through with their products orders or delivering them when they said they would. I do not want to gain this reputation early on or ever. I want to provide the best quality and customer service possible and accurate, even if slow, timelines.

If some choose to go elsewhere for sliders due to their own time constraints while I ramp things up, I do not blame them in the least. The last thing I want to do is start promising dates and time lines, and then have them not come to fruition due to things out of my control.

I still have a full time 40-50/hr a week job that I will keep until I am ready to make the transition to 100%Rovers, and unfortunately it does get in the way at times; however, if I agree to a timeline on a project I will do everything in my being to make it happen. Ask Tis, or Scott Wold, two of my most recent customers, they have seen me beyond loopy, on less than 14 hours of sleep for an entire week... but make no mistake I will not sacrifice the quality of my design or workmanship simply for the sake of time (or sleep!). Further, I will not take orders on production items until I have all necesarry materials/parts/hardware on hand.

As to Bharris, I should have been more clear in my emails. He inquired about production, and being late and having just got home from a 13 hour day, when I responded I neglected to mention other options. I am still doing the sliders currently on a one by one, hand made basis, and they are painted instead of powder coated. The hand made sliders are more labor intensive than the production sliders will be, hence a 4-5 week lead time on these. Currently I'm prepping two HD sets to go out soon. I've tried to put off taking too many orders as to not get snowed under this early in the game.

I know this has been a long reply so I apolgize for that, but I just wanted to let everyone know where things currently stood with Psyoptic Development, and where things are headed. I never thought that me goofing around in my shop would become a business, and I never imagined things would take off as fast as it has. To those who have made just getting to this point possible, I cannot thank ya'll enough.... I'm now looking for new shop space since I've already outgrown my current facilities!

PS: I've gotten lots of inquiries, and yes the 4-Link is coming, and it will be worth the wait.
Old April 4th, 2010, 07:38 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

I think that is a smart move Jon. last thing you want to do is give a date then be pressured to meet that deadline. I understand this isn't a full time job for you yet It's tough when you have a product people want but you can't get it to them fast enough, just ask badger or ecr, a wait is a good thing if you ask me. And Damn Brad Vaporware? come on follow the hummer so he can bulldoze the bath clear so you don't bang your truck on the rocks until Jon gets you some sliders.
Old April 4th, 2010, 11:39 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Has anybody corresponded with RoverTym about D90 sliders yet? I need a set of sliders but unimpressed with what's out there. I like the simple look of the Mantec and SG products but agree with bharris about the lame mounting systems. My budget is about $300-400.
Old April 5th, 2010, 08:18 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I stay far away from RTE, Mantec or whatever Jon is building are most likely the best options that are currently available. Mantecs are the stoutest but they have served me well, but then again I dont really go offroading.
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:13 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
I stay far away from RTE, Mantec or whatever Jon is building are most likely the best options that are currently available. Mantecs are the stoutest but they have served me well, but then again I dont really go offroading.
What's wrong with RTE sliders?

I'd love to see how Jon's finished product looks but his timeline isn't going to work for me. I need something that I can buy in the next couple of weeks.

I also really like ECR's sliders and the way that they are reinforcing the mounting points but I don't think they are doing mail order for these.
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:35 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

3x3 1/4in wall square tube and some brackets and you can duplicate Bill Burke sliders.
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:43 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
They are actually 2.5x2.5 OD. See post #4 for an example of a duplicated set (although on my 110)
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:45 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
They are actually 2.5x2.5 OD. See post #4 for an example of a duplicated set (although on my 110)
Ok, I bought 3x3.
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:51 AM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

Second option-you can send your truck to ECR then they will be able to install one for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I also really like ECR's sliders and the way that they are reinforcing the mounting points but I don't think they are doing mail order for these.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
slide