Slider recomendations? - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 30th, 2011, 12:24 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
A gusset on the rear outrigger coupled with the tube inside should beef up the rear pretty well. Does your tube go all the way through the frame and bolt at the back?
I don't recall if it goes all the way into the frame but it goes close if it doesn't. It just has a cross bolt to hold it in place.

I think the anti-twisting effect in the front mount must help reduce the pressure on the rear as I have hit them pretty hard with no ill effects but I like the idea of going all the way through if you are going to build you own.

And on the point of aesthetics, I remember now the only feedback I had for Bill was that if I have built them I would have put the tube weld seam on the inside! So yeah, call me vane too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Kevin,

I hate to have to perpetuate this any further but I would like to set a few things straight. Jerod never asked for an opinion on sliders. William, who started the thread did. If you go back to the beginning of this discussion you will see that I was not condescending until Jerod decided to be so in his blog post. That's when the gloves came off and even at that point I was not the one doing the name calling, newbie, foreigner comments etc.

Before Jerod had decided to join the conversation I made a comment about my preference and opinion which is deeply personal and not directed at any specific person in particular. I now regret doing so and it will not happen again. I do happen to believe that Land Rovers and their peripherals should be used for the intent to that they were designed and and engineered to do. I also believe that high participation rate contributes to making Land Rover a more authentic brand. Not only do I passionately believe that, I think the majority of the Land Rover community would agree with me. Same reasoning, IMO applies to sliders (disclaimer: also my personal opinion. You have the right to disagree with me. If you need my approval to disagree you have it). IMO even the appearance of a slider is 98% dictated by a functional need. If you want to put them on to impress the Soccermoms at Starbucks go for it but that doesn't mean I have to agree with your reasons for doing so. Apparently there exists incessant need for conformity and agreement here. Where I'm from it is culturally accepted to have a difference opinion, even a heated discussion with your friends and to remain friends. I have learned that it does not appear to be the case here.

Jerod seem drawing a lot of conclusions of his own from my initial comment that have no relation to what I actually said. I cannot take responsibility for the conclusions that he invented from interpreting my statement; that he's not allowed to have an opinion, that he can't appreciate well made things, that you must destroy your defender on impossible trails, etc. I have said no such things. I made a comparison to the mountain biking community just as an example of a community that would be a lot less accepting of modifications not corresponding to a specific need. If I bought a downhill bike for the sole purpose of looking cool while riding to the grocery store most mountain bike enthusiasts would ridicule me to no end. Not saying it's right or wrong, that's just customary in that particular community.

Barry, I'm glad you're standing up for someone you think needs to be defended. I'd much prefer to see that behavior here over the relentless harassment of Joshua on this board just as an example. It was funny at first when it was light hearted. Not so much any more. Frankly, I'd rather not reading this kind of rants on the board myself either so this will be the last I post on the topic or any other that isn't directly related.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
The choice of what rock sliders to put on your truck should be dictated, as was said earlier, by the reason(s) behind the decision to install them in the first place. If you are not into offroad wheeling, then you have a much wider range of choice since aesthetics is more of a primary concern than protection. So it becomes completely a personal choice. It would be more helpful in Jerod's case to identify the pros and cons of the various sliders beyond protection. For example, some sliders leave the area previously covered by the bottom valance panel exposed. The more serious sliders can make getting in and out of the vehicle a little more difficult. So on and so forth.
If a guy asks an opinion on something and is honest with everyone, why be condesending? A poser is someone who claims to be what he is not.
Old May 30th, 2011, 03:37 PM
pacificwildfire
William
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaker View Post
What about the ones Madcowdungbeatle was making. Psyoptic Development was his company name. Don't know if he still is or not but they looked pretty stout. Link here.http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...hlight=sliders
Thanks, I sent him an email. Those look stout.

To the others: I do wheel my truck, so I am not sure how the term poser came up. All fingerpointing and name calling aside, I appreciate everyones opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2011, 03:45 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Carl,

My comments were less directed at you and more of the foreigner basher. I had noticed he was bashing EE constantly so when I saw his hater comments I felt like getting involved. As for Horsey, we have a fine relationship and it is all in good fun. I guess you can block seeing my posts if it really bothers you.

As for mountain biking, I have been doing it for 17 years and I couldn't agree with you more that the hardcore riders become enraged when they see some guy with an expensive bike and no skills. I was one of them for a long time but as I have aged I realize that what people are really jealous of is the fact that we couldn't afford the nice stuff when we loved the sport so much. I have no gripes anymore with people who buy stuff because they can afford it and not because they plan to use it. Good for them.
Old May 30th, 2011, 05:27 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Carl,
I was only getting at the fact, for better or worse, that many mods which have a true functional purpose are often found in non-offroad applications. I don't know that there is anything wrong with it, if it makes the owner happy, I say fine. I completely agree with you as for the functionality of both the Land Rover and the various modifications. It is a truck born from a need and the mods are the same. When used in that regard, the quality of design and construction is put to the utmost test. However it is fair to say that not all Defenders see much extreme off roading and those that do may only see it at a small percentage of their actual life. Whether you do or not, it's still fun to own a real Land Rover and add whatever accessories to it that make it an even better truck than it is.
Hey, last week I added a bonnet spare tire mount even though I don't really need it. I like the way it looks, there's something about it that goes back to the Series trucks. In fact, I took the bonnet spare tire off my SIII because it's a royal pain to pop the hood with it on. I just think the mount looks right.
Old May 30th, 2011, 07:59 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Easy answers. Carl made presumptuous comment, I made snarky retort. Carl and Nicholas piled on. I wrote a blog post to vent, Carl and Nicholas selected bits of my personal writing out of context to justify their straw-man, insisting that my writing demonstrated my lack of Defender authenticity. Barry stepped in to support my belief that you can like cool stuff on your truck even if you don't use it to wheel. Things got really ugly....

I still stand by the analogy of the Rolex Submariner, the ultimate tool-watch. If I go diving, I'll wear a suitable watch than can do the job that's not worth $5000. Just like I would personally not wheel my D90. And the point is, that doesn't make me a newbie or a poser or whatever. Just my preference, and I don't judge others in the same vein. And that is what I thing is the crux of the argument. (written on my phone, so apologies for typos or sytax errors).
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:13 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
As a bit (or more) of a poser, I would have to say that the sliders are just an improvement over the stock sills.
On my 90 the sills were shot and I wasn't going to spend money on replacing them, so I bought sliders.
I'll do the same on my 110 as it didn't come with any either.
As for why I have 2 defenders and don't really wheel that much, I get that a lot.
Great trucks and a great support system! Where else can you get answers to a mechanical questions, and used parts, while you're still working on the truck.
I actually started reading this because I'm looking for the 110 sliders.
Old May 30th, 2011, 10:37 PM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

Quick question...what are rock sliders?

phoenix37 -> If only it were that easy...
Old May 30th, 2011, 10:49 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1 View Post
As a bit (or more) of a poser, I would have to say that the sliders are just an improvement over the stock sills.
On my 90 the sills were shot and I wasn't going to spend money on replacing them, so I bought sliders.
I'll do the same on my 110 as it didn't come with any either.
As for why I have 2 defenders and don't really wheel that much, I get that a lot.
Great trucks and a great support system! Where else can you get answers to a mechanical questions, and used parts, while you're still working on the truck.
I actually started reading this because I'm looking for the 110 sliders.

so lets find a deal on some. I would like some like the ECR ones with jacking points front and rear!!!
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:22 PM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
so lets find a deal on some. I would like some like the ECR ones with jacking points front and rear!!!
+1, but let ECR stay focused on delivery of the front bumpers.
phoenix37 -> If only it were that easy...
Old May 31st, 2011, 01:09 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Much like Barry, I used to be a rabid defender (no pun intended) of the faith, in bicycling, skiing, climbing, and vehicles. And I too have aged, calmed and come to see that the only one getting hurt by my opposition to "posing" is me.

Another thought -- for a vendor, every unit sold makes it easier to hold the price on an item, and even more importantly, to stay in business. If only the hardcore ever bought vehicle protection, half the people making and selling it would not be around.

So, when you are tempted to snap at someone for being a poseur, because they are going to install a snorkel, 35" tires, sliders, a winch, an "expedition" rack, and then never slip a tire off the asphalt, remember -- they're supporting the vendors you need. Eventually most will move on to a new interest and their vehicle or parts will hit the used market, and you might get a deal!

I get where Carl is coming from too -- I don't see anything wrong with strong debate, as long as at the end you can still share a beer and see the person and not just the position. It would be a boring world if we all thought the same.

------ Follow up post added May 31st, 2011 06:12 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW View Post
Quick question...what are rock sliders?

In an Old Fashioned glass, pour --

1 oz Ouzo
1 oz vodka
3 jelly beans

Slam. Repeat until unconscious.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:36 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Black jelly beans, unless your a poser, then you can use any color
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:00 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I'm a closet posseur also

I agree with Charles's original point that you have to choose sliders based on their protection level, although there are other considerations such as a appearance and cost also. If you are a mall-crawler whose biggest obstacle in usage is an errant shopping cart, or some mindless minivan driver backing into your rig, then choose appropriately (although I'm still waiting for someone to make rock sliders with medieval spikes sticking out of them.)

Even given the "right" sliders, there's still potential to really screw up the body panels on your truck, however. For example, rocks can grab onto your fenders/arches and in some cases, when the arches go, the aluminum goes with it.

Of course, I've never wheeled my rig, so I'm probably full of crap anyways
Old May 31st, 2011, 01:41 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I guess there are people who use their nice crap as intended.
http://jalopnik.com/5795635/the-100k-off+road-challenge

Next you are going to tell me to get my rolex wet.
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:46 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I will never understand calling someone a poser for not wheeling a Defender or any capable SUV for that matter. We are all car/truck guys here. That is the appeal. Some people off road, some don't. I think calling someone a poser because you somehow are the real deal and into land rovers more because you wheel yours makes you look like a tool.(Not to mention you had a "phat" jeep) If you had a porsche would you wear your track uniform, driving shoes and gloves while out driving to the store?

Of all the land rovers I have owned over the years I wheeled some and haven't others. All that makes me is someone who loves the brand. Not only for the history but the love of the product itself..how it looks, rides, all its problems and its capabilities... even if I don't use them all. Wanting your car or truck to look a certain way is what makes them unique to the owner. The OP is talking about sliders for christ sake.

So I guess with your thinking every person who doesn't track race their sports car is a poser?

Sorry to poke the fire...I can't resist.
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:38 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

They can sing songs but don't ever let them run a business!!!
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:46 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Funny, took me a second, its been a long thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
They can sing songs but don't ever let them run a business!!!
Old June 1st, 2011, 02:30 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to make rock sliders with medieval spikes sticking out of them.
Done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trollhuntert110.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	39256  
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 1st, 2011, 07:25 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I look at it like this, if I had a super model I bang her every night. Who would date a "super model" and not hit that shit every night? Maybe some of you but not me.
Old June 1st, 2011, 07:41 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
I look at it like this, if I had a super model I bang her every night. Who would date a "super model" and not hit that shit every night? Maybe some of you but not me.
Some would say because then she'll eventually end up preggers, star on MTV's 16 and Pregnant, and all of a sudden you have a girl on your hands that doesn't run the way she used to, doesn't behave the way she used to, doesn't look the way she used to, and may end up as some bitch you don't even want to bring to the grocery store any longer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-961054411.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	39257   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3181910494.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	39258  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
slide