Slider recomendations? - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 29th, 2011, 01:35 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Ass clown, ass clown, ass clown

I don't care about EE. I am well aware of how opinionated they are. It's a free country. Don't shop there or if you want to tell everyone how much they suck try doing it in a well thought out manner that makes sense. As soon as you made a comment about them being foreigners you lost all credibility. You might want to look through some of your posts. I would guess from your grammar you might be the foreigner.

I am shooting for 20000 posts. Hopefully all on this thread.

It's people like you who assume they can win, who lose in the end. You should look through this thread and read your posts.

Grammar? Are we getting graded? This is a forum, not your basketweaving 101 final. I'm not here to spell things out perfectly for you, nor to make friends, or impress anyone. I made my money already jack... And then some. I'm a loose fit because I can be. And on top of that I have many other vehicles and interests that keep me on many boards... So, I just don't sit there and spend all of my time adding to my many, many posts. You are truly ridiculous.

This is the best one:

Quoted from the grand bjf himself:

"you clearly would know that when it comes to mockery you aren't going to win..."

I mean, what kind of idiot says that without knowing who they are dealing with. I mean, are there really people out there like you?

You're a fool Barry. Now, go get back online and do some more posting! That seems to be your strength in life.

I'm out of this ridiculousness. Good luck with the sliders to the original poster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2011, 01:40 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros View Post

As far as EE goes... You have no idea young skywalker... no idea. I've never dealt with such a company, especially from some foreigners who think they are better than everyone else.
luck.
I notice in all your responses you never address the original comment. Case in point I win. You are an ass clown and a fool. I would love to see you explain yourself or defend yourself to half the board that you insulted. Glad you are done. I win. I win. I win.

------ Follow up post added May 28th, 2011 10:41 PM ------

Stick to the toyota toaster van forum.
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:09 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

You guys should just fuck and get it over with.
The tension is uncomfortable for the rest of us.

So......Rockware sliders?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2011, 04:19 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Does anyone have pics of how the Rockware ones mount to the truck?

Charles, you have Bill Burke Sliders? Do you a pic of how the front attaches to the frame?
Old May 29th, 2011, 05:19 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Bill Burkes attach like the rest. Bracket to the lower bulkhead bolt and a tube to go through the tube outrigger.
Old May 29th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Oliver Whiting
Oliver Whiting
84 110, 94 NAS90,Bunch of EX-mods

Sliders

Almost all production sliders will attach like the ones pictured. Problem being is good old Defenders are all a little bit different and the sliders need some adjustability to make them fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	538126.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	39187  
Old May 29th, 2011, 09:23 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Bill Burkes attach like the rest made for 90's. Bracket to the lower bulkhead bolt and a tube to go through the tube outrigger.
Fixed it for ya.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:17 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Bill's earlier sliders mount nothing like today's typical ones. They have 2 box sections welded to the rear of the slider body that go back to the frame alongside the front and rear outriggers. These are bolted through the outrigger on the front and to brackets around the tube on the rear. He did say though that his later ones used the bar in the rear outrigger set up.

I have only seen the ones on his truck which he said match his earlier production ones. I don't have any good pictures of the way they attach to the outriggers though as his truck's always been covered in mud under there when i've seen it.

The front outrigger angle is tricky so I wanted a good picture of the way it mounted.
Old May 29th, 2011, 01:42 PM
pacificwildfire
William
94 d90

I am leaning toward the rockwares. Thanks guys for both the recomendation and the entertainment.
Old May 29th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I just got Terrafirma's not too long ago. Very happy with them but I plan to weld on an additional reinforcement bar to be safe. My only regret is not getting the ones that are galvanized underneath the powder coat. When they scratch they'll start rusting otherwise.
Old May 29th, 2011, 09:53 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Bill Burkes attach like the rest. Bracket to the lower bulkhead bolt and a tube to go through the tube outrigger.
No the front is much stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
Charles, you have Bill Burke Sliders? Do you a pic of how the front attaches to the frame?
Oddly enough I don't seem to have a picture, or it's buried somewhere non-obvious to me at the moment. But I made sliders for my 110 and copied his front mounts, which you can see in some of these pictures.

http://gallery.lhsw.com/view_album.p...Sliders&page=2

There is a mount forward of the bulkhead outrigger that a body bolt goes through. Then there is a tube behind the outrigger that then meet a piece of plate that is bolted to the outrigger as well. The front is going nowhere.

I have not had any issues with the rear, but I suppose it could use a gusset on that tube to be entirely sure it wasn't going to bend.

On the topic of posing etc, I don't think there was any attempt to bash anyone. At least speaking for myself, I was trying to make sure that the person interested in them was getting the best product for them. If you wheel, then they really are a function before form type mod, although there is nothing wrong with wanting them to look good in either case.

But I do agree, it takes a special person to wheel an expensive truck - it's not for everyone. Mine was relatively cheap, and bought expressly for taking it off-road, so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it
Old May 29th, 2011, 10:12 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

discoweb food fight style thread ?

waste of time.
Old May 29th, 2011, 10:41 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I apologize for turning this in to nonsense. I just felt it was a bit harsh that people who don't wheel can't have opinions on how things look or how well they are made, not to mention the newbie mockery and obviously don't get me started on the foreigner comment. I should have left it alone but I actually appreciate reading Jerod's blog and like the humor even though his taste in shock towers is terrible.
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:41 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I apologize for turning this in to nonsense. I just felt it was a bit harsh that people who don't wheel can't have opinions on how things look or how well they are made, not to mention the newbie mockery and obviously don't get me started on the foreigner comment. I should have left it alone but I actually appreciate reading Jerod's blog and like the humor even though his taste in shock towers is terrible.
Thanks Barry - I write my blog for fun, and for the opportunity to share a very narrow aspect of my life. To see excerpts cherry-picked to justify some inexplicable desire to de-legitimize my ownership of a truck because I don't wheel is absurd, and invasive.

I like my truck and from both an aesthetic and pragmatic point of view, I like nice, well made things. I think we all do, as some of the attractants to the Defender are its tool-like qualities, its simplicity, and its uniqueness. I spent a year restoring my truck, getting my hands dirty and learning about how these trucks are built. I think I've earned the right to say whatever the hell I want about my truck and do whatever I want to it.

So I'm going to keep writing my blog and I'm also going to keep driving my truck, mostly to Starbucks. And somewhere down the line, I might put sliders on it just because I like how they look. And maybe, just maybe, someday I'll put OEM shock towers back on, but not likely.
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

I also think of sliders as side impact protection nowadays. When I had a 90, I wheeled it, but now that I have a family and drive a 110, my sliders will be for side impact protection more than rock/tree protection. Once I build them.
Old May 30th, 2011, 03:27 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Thanks Charles.

That front box section with the plate that bolts through the front outrigger is what I was talking about. Coupled with the bulkhead bolt bracket it gives an 'inner/outer' fixing to stop it twisting up. A gusset on the rear outrigger coupled with the tube inside should beef up the rear pretty well. Does your tube go all the way through the frame and bolt at the back?
Old May 30th, 2011, 05:07 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer View Post
I also think of sliders as side impact protection nowadays. When I had a 90, I wheeled it, but now that I have a family and drive a 110, my sliders will be for side impact protection more than rock/tree protection. Once I build them.
I didn't put sliders on for that reason, but it definitely occurred to me once they were there. It will be unpleasant for a passenger car that hits my 110 -- the slider will make contact at about headlamp level...
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
What about the ones Madcowdungbeatle was making. Psyoptic Development was his company name. Don't know if he still is or not but they looked pretty stout. Link here.http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...hlight=sliders
Old May 30th, 2011, 10:56 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Madcows are probably the best out there, a little chunky if i actually wheeled my truck these would be the ticket. I think scott wold is running them.
Old May 30th, 2011, 12:15 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

The choice of what rock sliders to put on your truck should be dictated, as was said earlier, by the reason(s) behind the decision to install them in the first place. If you are not into offroad wheeling, then you have a much wider range of choice since aesthetics is more of a primary concern than protection. So it becomes completely a personal choice. It would be more helpful in Jerod's case to identify the pros and cons of the various sliders beyond protection. For example, some sliders leave the area previously covered by the bottom valance panel exposed. The more serious sliders can make getting in and out of the vehicle a little more difficult. So on and so forth.
If a guy asks an opinion on something and is honest with everyone, why be condesending? A poser is someone who claims to be what he is not.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
slide