Slider recomendations? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 28th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Atlantic British sliders are made by Safari Equip. I suspect they could roll up into the door when they get knocked hard. I will deal with that if it happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2011, 10:01 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
This will never happen to me and you have stock running boards on your 90 SW!
Really? Are you in my driveway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
I don't follow your logic. It's a piece of steel and it's connected to two other pieces of steel. One on the front outrigger and one on the frame. Are you saying that this steel is inferior or the way they mount is inferior?

You need to put down that joint, get a couple years under your belt regarding STEEL, then a couple of more in this vehicle and go from there.

---------->

Basically, if you had the manufacturer's offerings in front of you, where you could compare them all, you wouldn't even have to ask question(s) such as these. Next time you're at a rally, put your hand on a Rockware slider, then on to some other one. Trust me.
Now, I can't speak much for SafariEquip, as I've never had my hands on them... Let alone, really know about that brand.

Later-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 28th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

What's wrong with the tree bars? They're there for a reason. Are you buying sliders just for the look of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwildfire
I am sure this topic has been beat to death, but I am having difficulty finding a set of sliders that I like for my 90. I am not to crazy about the bar on the terrafirmas, but it is difficult to find a decent pic of anything else.

Any recomendations?

Thanks
------ Follow up post added May 28th, 2011 10:08 AM ------

What he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin

I think one should consider *why* they are putting on sliders to make the decision. If just for the looks, then get whatever you think looks nice.

But if you actually want to put them to work, then looks are secondary. You want them to stick out further than the bodywork, door handles etc. to properly protect them, and they need very strong mounting points.

I have Bill Burke sliders which I don't believe he makes anymore, but you could easily get someone to fab up a set of the same design if you found they suited your needs.
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2011, 11:44 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
What's wrong with the tree bars? They're there for a reason. Are you buying sliders just for the look of it?
I don't often wheel in tight trees. The sliders w/o tree bars still extend slightly from the body, down low where it is most important. The primary purpose of the slider, for me anyway, is to protect from rock hits from below.

There's nothing wrong with tree bars, if you think the extra weight, and a litte bit of extra work when cleaning it up is worth the added function-- or God forbid, you like the looks of them.
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Not trying to offend you, Mike. That makes total sense. There is nothing wrong with liking the look of them. I was just trying to determine if the topic your question was related to function or aesthetics. I actually prefer the cleaner look of the ones without tree bars especially when they're painted body color like ECR does but I had a close call almost peeling off mirrors, door handles and what not so I decided to go for the bars. IMO its also good to be sensitive to the era and type of vehicle. Sliders without tree bars will just look a lot more appropriate on your 86".

It's one thing liking the look of a utilitarian object and using it for its purpose, quite another to put sliders on just to look cool while driving around town. That would fall in the poser category and neither of us are there. As a side note it seems like the 4x4 crowd is a bit more lenient regarding this than what I'm used to. The Mountain bike and Climbing community are usually pretty relentless about ridiculing posers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
I don't often wheel in tight trees. The sliders w/o tree bars still extend slightly from the body, down low where it is most important. The primary purpose of the slider, for me anyway, is to protect from rock hits from below.

There's nothing wrong with tree bars, if you think the extra weight, and a litte bit of extra work when cleaning it up is worth the added function-- or God forbid, you like the looks of them.
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:56 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

It would be nice if all the rocks would politely stay directly under the truck.

It would be nice if I started sh*tting gold bricks too.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old May 28th, 2011, 06:26 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
It's one thing liking the look of a utilitarian object and using it for its purpose, quite another to put sliders on just to look cool while driving around town. That would fall in the poser category and neither of us are there.
Thanks for the narrow categorization! I suppose anyone with a Rolex Submariner who doesn't dive falls into this category too?

I like the look of a nice set of rock sliders, and I think they would enhance the utilitarian look of my truck. Why does it matter to you if I wheel or drive it to Starbucks?
Old May 28th, 2011, 06:27 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by founD90 View Post
Why does it matter to you if I wheel or drive it to Starbucks?
Because if you wheel it, you'll want it to work
Old May 28th, 2011, 07:32 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Because if you wheel it, you'll want it to work
I totally get that, and wouldn't buy sub-par products only for looks. I just appreciate well made, utilitarian items.
Old May 28th, 2011, 09:45 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Manimal... I hear ya'... I would just chalk this one up with one word. NEWBIE. ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 28th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Wow, somebody got their feelings hurt so much they had to go write about it on their blog: http://found90.wordpress.com/2011/05...but-no-thanks/

Not sure why you're so upset. You're definitely a poser. You're concerned with how the A-bar is covering up your Land Rover 90 sticker. Here's an idea: put another one on the A-bar. But hey, at least the A-bar "looks cool". Perhaps we should start a new thread and discuss it since you seem so eager to talk about it.

Don't take it so personal. I'm glad you're fixing up the truck and keeping it on the road (no pun intended). 75% of all Land Rovers built are still in use supposedly. You're contributing to that. Thats good. Land Rovers go off-road at a much higher rate than SUV's for a reason, especially in the rest of the world more so than here in the US. Land Rovers have the highest off-road penetration among luxury SUVs, with 26 percent of all LR3 owners engaging in “real” off-roading, and 22.2 percent of all Range Rovers and 14.8 percent of Range Rover Sport drivers occasionally leaving the pavement. These numbers are much higher with Defenders and Series vehicles.

I suppose the reason I have much more respect for someone like Bill Burke is because he is using a tool for its intended purpose and he is very good at it. You'll never really know what your vehicle is capable of until you give it a try. I have much more respect for someone who goes diving than I do for someone wearing a Rolex Navigator and doesn't dive. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. You are jumping to conclusions. I'm not saying you should go destroy your truck and I do know about Greenlaning thank you very much. I lived in Scotland before I moved to the US. Keep fixing your truck up and start planning a trip to somewhere (you know, a destination) where you'll get to challenge yourself and your truck a little bit. If you want to talk more about it you can PM me or we can start a new thread.

Now back to the regular programming.

Quote:
Thanks for the narrow categorization! I suppose anyone with a Rolex Submariner who doesn't dive falls into this category too?

I like the look of a nice set of rock sliders, and I think they would enhance the utilitarian look of my truck. Why does it matter to you if I wheel or drive it to Starbucks?
Old May 28th, 2011, 11:56 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

I was wondering when someone was going to point out the 'poser' aspect of it.

The best line of the so called 'blog' for me was:

"...there is no doubt that these things LOOK much better than they drive. I don’t have buyers remorse, because I’m pretty far ahead of the game on this restoration, but I do wish I loved driving it more..."

---->

Man... or should I say Manimal... The 1st year I had my D90 you couldn't get me out of the thing. I knew exactly how it drove and loved it. Even though I could use some more leg room, I'm 10 years strong in this truck and still love it just as much as I did on day 1. I think it drives superbly... But then again, I knew it was a lifestyle that I bought into, not just the truck. Coming off a PHAT Jeep Wrangler... My D90 murders it in every which way.

If it's not there blog-boy, my boy found90... It isn't going be. It isn't going to magically appear like the deliciousness of Lucky Charms.

Old May 29th, 2011, 12:08 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:

Not sure why you're so upset. You're definitely a poser.

If you want to talk more about it you can PM me or we can start a new thread.

Now back to the regular programming.
Yeah...don't hold your breath on the PM, as much as I'd love for you to continue on your high horse of douche-baggery telling me what a poser I am because of how I choose to outfit and drive my truck.

And while I didn't really have you personally in mind when i wrote the blog post, it was nice of you to see yourself in the description enough to repost for the group.

And the a-bar is slightly too high, I can't mount lights on it, and it sort of gets in the way of the bonnet latch. I question what year truck it came from. Is that a more pragmatic explanation for you?

Thanks for reading the blog.
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:16 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Its funny Niccolas, you complain that the guys at EE are complete douches yet if I am not mistaken you pretty much are guilty of the same hater bullshit. I think both you and Manimal are missing the point of just a regular guy writing about his defender with a funny spin to it.

As for the mocking the guy for being honest that he complained the defender looks better than it drives you are both lying. If you drive the thing daily you know it sucks compared to most other trucks. It is loud, fairly unreliable, and made like crap. I just bought a new hood catch. One night and it turned orange with rust. You love it because of all of that. You are glad it isn't a wrangler. Just like Found90, you like that it is unique so you can pretend you are different when in fact their is a whole world of people with the same taste. Oh and it is a rolex submariner. Both me and Found90 have one and I can't swim.
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:20 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
I was wondering when someone was going to point out the 'poser' aspect of it.

The best line of the so called 'blog' for me was:

"...there is no doubt that these things LOOK much better than they drive. I don’t have buyers remorse, because I’m pretty far ahead of the game on this restoration, but I do wish I loved driving it more..."

---->

Man... or should I say Manimal... The 1st year I had my D90 you couldn't get me out of the thing. I knew exactly how it drove and loved it. Even though I could use some more leg room, I'm 10 years strong in this truck and still love it just as much as I did on day 1. I think it drives superbly... But then again, I knew it was a lifestyle that I bought into, not just the truck. Coming off a PHAT Jeep Wrangler... My D90 murders it in every which way.

If it's not there blog-boy, my boy found90... It isn't going be. It isn't going to magically appear like the deliciousness of Lucky Charms.
While I'll debate a lot of this nonsense, you're just an asshole. PHAT, Jeep Wrangler? Are you an adult?

Adults don't buy into lifestyles. If I wanted the "off-road lifestyle" I would buy a truck I wouldn't care about trashing. I also wouldn't let whatever truck I bought define me in such a way. I'm not sure you buying into this lifestyle gives you any room in the 'poser' department.

You also have clearly never owned a German car.

Maybe the blog has outlived it's usefulness, I started it to document all the work I did to restore the truck. If asshats are going to pick at it like this it's not worth it.

Thanks for screwing up a perfectly good thread.
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:24 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Not at all... We just don't want to see anyone waste their money. My bet is he'll be out of that D90 by the end of next year.

As far as EE goes... You have no idea young skywalker... no idea. I've never dealt with such a company, especially from some foreigners who think they are better than everyone else.

The rest of your ridiculous rant makes absolutely no sense. I love the made like crap line though... You are a baffoon aren't ya'? Why even purchase the truck and spend all your time on this board with your five thousand plus useless rants?

This is getting too comical for me. I can't have a mental gunfight with someone so ill equipped. Good luck.

Old May 29th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Struck a nerver there it seems. Sorry, Barry you are way off. Not even close. I'm not hating anyone here. Let's nip this in the bud since it is quickly becoming personal and juvenile.

Jerod, please accept my apology. Let's be friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Its funny Niccolas, you complain that the guys at EE are complete douches yet if I am not mistaken you pretty much are guilty of the same hater bullshit. I think both you and Manimal are missing the point of just a regular guy writing about his defender with a funny spin to it.

As for the mocking the guy for being honest that he complained the defender looks better than it drives you are both lying. If you drive the thing daily you know it sucks compared to most other trucks. It is loud, fairly unreliable, and made like crap. I just bought a new hood catch. One night and it turned orange with rust. You love it because of all of that. You are glad it isn't a wrangler. Just like Found90, you like that it is unique so you can pretend you are different when in fact their is a whole world of people with the same taste. Oh and it is a rolex submariner. Both me and Found90 have one and I can't swim.
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:29 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
While I'll debate a lot of this nonsense, you're just an asshole. PHAT, Jeep Wrangler? Are you an adult?

Adults don't buy into lifestyles. If I wanted the "off-road lifestyle" I would buy a truck I wouldn't care about trashing. I also wouldn't let whatever truck I bought define me in such a way. I'm not sure you buying into this lifestyle gives you any room in the 'poser' department.

You also have clearly never owned a German car.

Maybe the blog has outlived it's usefulness, I started it to document all the work I did to restore the truck. If asshats are going to pick at it like this it's not worth it.

Thanks for screwing up a perfectly good thread.

Your welcome. And nice try, but you're so green it ain't even worth it. Good luck with your visual ride... LMAO. Oh, and P.S. - I say PHAT to appeal to the youngsters, and because I think it's funny. Like your retarded blog. And I've had my share of German cars... Hmm... Grew up in the car business actually... haha. You are a mental midget as well.

When you put your truck up for sale next year, I'm going to revive this thread. You'll see NEWBIE Jean.

Old May 29th, 2011, 12:32 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I said I love the truck, I just am not kidding myself like you and the lifestyle you claim you bought in to. Do you drive around Tallahassee with a safari hat on? I think you might be the young skywalker because if you read any of my rants you clearly would know that when it comes to mockery you aren't going to win.

I love your foreigner line. You really are an asshat. I am pretty sure you don't have to have white skin to be an American. Also last I checked one owner was a former lawyer. I wonder how far you got in your education.
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:32 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

I think ole' Barry will be alright... There's a lot of Sensitive Sally's on this board.

Sorry to offend. Will you please accept my apology Mr. Barry? :-)

Oh... P.S. - I'm not the one who's got to resort to calling names like a little boy at recess am I? If you've got to resort to that to win at mockery as you put it... Then, you're not winning at all. But your version of winning is probably a lot like Charlie Sheen's... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. :-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
slide