Sleep and Store suggestions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 20th, 2006, 09:38 PM
michael15
Mike Schlueter
1995 Red D-90

Sleep and Store suggestions

I noticed the two "sleep and store" mods on the custom page and they are great.

I am curious is anyone has done any other mods so that you can sleep inside a 90?

Obviously pictures would be GREAT!

thanks

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2006, 09:56 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I saw a German website where one of the side windows was replaced with a metal panel that dropped down forming a ledge - there was a small tent attached to the top of the panel that enclosed the top of the ledge. This allowed the bed to built crosswise in the back of the D-90 - your feet stuck out through the old window opening into the tent area - pretty clever.
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:23 PM
michael15
Mike Schlueter
1995 Red D-90

That sounds interesting - but probably a little too mechanical for me.

I looked all over the internet - although I am not the best searcher in the world - and only found the two mods above.

If The Boss reads this. I sure wish we could expand the MODS/TECH/PICS section. I can't tell you all how helpful these have been to me. I just added hood pins (in a different location than the tech page) and am not real sure if I should submit pictures or not.

Thanks for the suggestion about the window. If you stumble on that page I would love to see it.

Hopefully I get a few more answers to this. There are some creative folks out there!

Take care,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2006, 11:53 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

If I load the rear cargo area with stuff close to the level of the rear seats (it's a SW), I just drop them down, drop down the front seats and start inflating an air bed. With the front seats angled correctly to support your head it's very comfortable. A twin size works fine.

I have an AC pump with it, as I can use it at home, and use a converter for power.

I have found this to be the best solution since you can store it easily and also use it in your tent!
Old February 21st, 2006, 01:37 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

A while ago before a long trip I made up a "sleep and store" solution that worked OK.

Out of box steel I made a frame that tied in to the inner roll cage supports.... they ran behind the front seats and then again right befor the rear door. Then I attached a 3/4 or 1/2 inch section of ply wood so that it was basicially level with the tub (get my drift?) then took a drawer slider track and attached another piece of wood that would slide across the passenger side seat and rest on the shelf in the dash. covered the main wood piece with foam and was good to go.
So when you stopped you would lay down the front passenger seat slide the wood over the seat and creat a flat surface. I slept there with my girlfirend and dog many times and it wasn't so bad. Although the room under the bed is just not enough but this may work for some.

Sorry for the bad explaination and lack of pictures...
Old February 21st, 2006, 04:53 AM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

The quick one I use is to use a commercially available camp bed, one of those with a rigid metal frame and use it to create a hammock with some lashing straps attched to the internal roof gutter. Works well and is quick to put up and takes up no space wen taken down. I know this wont work as is for sft tops but it should be possible to modify to suit using roll cage
Old February 21st, 2006, 07:37 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Look at this website: http://www.ex-tec.de/
and go to the Ex-tec shop: specials Defender: Camp-Tec-Zeltklappen and click on details

These guys build some cool stuff...
Old February 21st, 2006, 09:53 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Wow--ex-tec has some great ideas, too.
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:28 AM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

yeah some real nice concepts and kit on there
Old February 23rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
michael15
Mike Schlueter
1995 Red D-90

Jack W:

Thanks - that is WAY cool.

I appreciate all the suggestions. It almost sounds like I should buy some plywood and 2x6s and see what I can make.

It'll be a fun project when the weather in STL is a steady 60 degrees +.

thanks for the tips!

mike
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:19 PM
lactic
Adam
'95 D90 SW Arles Blue

Hey you, across the pond!!

I've looked at the www.ex-tec.de website and love the idea of the replacement panel over the driver's side rear windows to form a drop-down foot tent area. My wife has finally drawn the line at tent camping and I'm running out of options to will keep me mobile in the backcountry without bastardizing the 90 with a pull-behind pop-up (mega off-road version cost prohibitive). Does anyone have any idea if ex-tec will ship to the US or can any of our European brothers and sisters offer a solution?

If I have to I'll bolt a hinged cookie sheet up but was hoping for a more elegant solution!!

Thanks all!

Edit: Forgot to mention- we have 2 dogs that sleep in the tent with us so we're looking for an option that gives us more space than the listed sleep options. Thanks!

PS Any of you in the red ST in Fruita, CO this weekend?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9084.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	5442  
Old April 11th, 2006, 12:05 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael15
If The Boss reads this. I sure wish we could expand the MODS/TECH/PICS section. I can't tell you all how helpful these have been to me. I just added hood pins (in a different location than the tech page) and am not real sure if I should submit pictures or not.
Sorry I missed this comment before... The new versions on those sections will allow people to add new pictures or comments regarding the topic. If you have new pics of hodd pin for example, for now you can create a new thread for them and add the pictures there. When the new sections are created, stuff like that will be pulled into them so people can see other submissions.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old April 11th, 2006, 07:12 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

What I did for a trip that worked out pretty good. I have Troy (smiths?) storage boxes in the back over the wheel wells. Cut up a couple pieces of plywood and rested them on the boxes to essentially cover the entire rear section of the truck. Underneath is storage. Up top is more, but I just put my sleeping bag in there and slept on that. With the hardtop I had to have two pieces in order to get them in and out and they didnt quite go all the way out over the lip, so the storage boxes were key to supporting them.
Now that the hardtop is off, I may look for other options.
Old April 11th, 2006, 10:12 AM
lactic
Adam
'95 D90 SW Arles Blue

Yep

Did something similar for this last weekend. Cut 2 pieces of MDF that fit into place over the wheel arches with the jump seats removed. Cut a piece of carpet to cover the wood and then a dog bed that fit perfect over that. I was able to store bags underneath and the dogs had a pretty spectacular bed up top of the long drive. I then put eye bolts into the vertical jump seat bolt holes and used bungee cords to hold the cooler and 2 mountain bike wheels out of the way. Was a perfect setup but now have upgrade-itis and want to incorporate the people-sleeper option.
Old April 11th, 2006, 12:19 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactic
Cut 2 pieces of MDF that fit into place over the wheel arches with the jump seats removed. Cut a piece of carpet to cover the wood and then a dog bed that fit perfect over that.
Yup, that's what I do. The dogs love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2352_s_s.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	5445  

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:12 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Yup, that's what I do. The dogs love it.

Thanks for sharing the image, Chance. Previously, I hadn't given this option much thought. My dog's head already leans over the bulkhead between the seats + tub and I don't want him to easily just step over onto the seats. I still might need some kind of dog guard but this gives me a starting point.
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:36 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by smenzel
Thanks for sharing the image, Chance. Previously, I hadn't given this option much thought. My dog's head already leans over the bulkhead between the seats + tub and I don't want him to easily just step over onto the seats. I still might need some kind of dog guard but this gives me a starting point.
No problem. Having 3 (400+ lbs), one of them has to sit in the back seat. Seems like DAP was blowing out 90/110 dog guards for $99 a while back. You might want to check with them.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:38 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lactic
I've looked at the www.ex-tec.de website and love the idea of the replacement panel over the driver's side rear windows to form a drop-down foot tent area. My wife has finally drawn the line at tent camping and I'm running out of options to will keep me mobile in the backcountry without bastardizing the 90 with a pull-behind pop-up (mega off-road version cost prohibitive). Does anyone have any idea if ex-tec will ship to the US or can any of our European brothers and sisters offer a solution?

If I have to I'll bolt a hinged cookie sheet up but was hoping for a more elegant solution!!

Thanks all!

Edit: Forgot to mention- we have 2 dogs that sleep in the tent with us so we're looking for an option that gives us more space than the listed sleep options. Thanks!

PS Any of you in the red ST in Fruita, CO this weekend?
Thats a great option and something I could do with my trucks current configuration. I wouldnt have to do much at all. Glad I saw this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions