SLC Peeps - urgent rescue help needed! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 23rd, 2007, 09:17 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

SLC Peeps - urgent rescue help needed!

Ok, ok...so it's a rescue for ME.

I just spent 4 days out in the west desert of Utah, got the truck stuck in the salt mud, had to be rescued by the Search and Rescue and got a ride in a helicopter.

Had to leave the truck...but it's in a very remote location and will be safe for at least a day.

The beast weighs 7500 lbs. and is stuck in some sticky clay/mud/salt crap up to the axles...just a hair below the frame. The diffs are dragging a bit. I'm in a not-so-dry riverbed (the reason I got stuck is that I *thought* it was dry), down a 3-4 foot embankment.

NO winching anchors (ask me about burying a tire 4-5 times only to watch it slowly come unearthed), so this will need to be a multiple vehicle winching recovery. Heavy vehicles preferred. Big winches a necessity.

My plan is to head out early Sunday morning and get the thing unstuck. When we hit pavement we're only going to be about 45 minutes East of Wendover, so I would be definitely up for buying the whole crew lunch/dinner/whatever.

The location...or as close as I'm willing to divulge, is on the north end of the Silver Island Mountains...east of Wendover.

Seriously, this is in the middle of NOWHERE...I can almost guarantee you that this is a location in Utah that you have never been. If you have been here, you understand how tough it is to leave a truck out there.

Well, I have to go back and get the pig, so I'm going to leave on Sunday morning around 9-ish. I'd have people call my cell phone, but I left it in the truck.

Call the house or PM...254-6648. I'll spend the day tomorrow gathering stuff I'll need (I killed both batteries trying to winch myself out...now the truck won't start...plus I killed what little power I had signalling rescuers and overflying aircraft).

Anyway, it's a LONG story, here's a pic.

http://www.tawayama.com/blog/stuckinmud.jpg

Thanks to anyone who feels like volunteering!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:39 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Man, that is crazy. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get some help and get it out of there. Must be extra tough knowing your truck is out there alone.

97 D90 SW
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:03 PM
redrockrover
Russell Phillips
1994 Defender 90

Michael,

I am sorry to hear about your stuck. I have to work on Sunday but I can see if I gather some of the jeep people I wheel with to organize a rescue attempt.

I have been out to silver lake and know that is not a good place to get stuck. Very remote location with no water. If you need any recovery gear I can loan: straps, chains, and d-rings. I will post this over on rockymountainextreme.com and call a guy that is involved with the Utah 4 wheel drive association who heads up recovery get on this ASAP.

I will get off work tomorrow at 5:00pm and I will be available to help after that if you still need the help. I hope for your sake the rover is out and on the way back home by that time. If not here is my cell number 801-232-9569 call me and I will head on out.

I will call you when I get some info.

Russ

'94 AA Yellow
# 891
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:36 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Russ,

I think a few more big trucks as ballast and a few more trucks with winches and we're pretty much good.

I have my RRC with a winch, there's another guy with a stock CJ with a winch, my neighbor has a crewcab Ford we can use as ballast, and maybe a third truck with a winch and a third big truck for ballast and we'll be fine.

If you want to spread it out to the Utah 4x4 people, please do. Be sure to give my phone # 801-254-6648 so they can call.

I'd like to leave around 4-5 tomorrow afternoon. If you want to head out and meet us, we'll probably do a stop at the Flying J in Stansbury Park before heading out.

The plan heading out is to (Refer to your Utah DeLorme Atlas on pp. 50) exit at the Bonneville Salt Flats exit, which is exit #4. Take the main paved road due north until it turs 90 deg. and heads east. Do NOT head east. Take the road that heads NW and is the Silver Island Mountain loop. Stay to the west side of the mountains.

The truck is parked on pp. 58 at the northern most side of the loop road. More accurately it is parked to the west of where the road starts to head back around to the east and south again.

I can give precise GPS coords if required...I'm a bit hesitant to do so right now because of looting. I didn't see a soul out there, but with that truck and gear I'm just a shade paranoid.

Please spread the word if you know of boards who would like to help. My e-mail is: sladephoto@yahoo.com

A photograph of where the truck is parked is also on my blog:

www.reluctoblog.blogspot.com

Thanks!

PS We'll be on CB channel 9 if anyone wants to listen.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 09:12 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

If you are ever stuck in Georgia, I will be first on the scene...

Old June 24th, 2007, 02:11 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Likewise for Surrey UK. I'm thinking +ve unsticking vibes though, good luck with the unsticking
Let us all know how it goes.
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:36 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Wow, I was just through Utah with a fully loaded Penske truck, I'm sure 26000 lbs and a DT466 could have lent the desired weight to your recovery effort. Unfortunately, I dont know how I would explain to Penske if I got their truck stuck up there...
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:42 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

damn Jim you criss cross the country more than a rodeo hooker.
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:37 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr
damn Jim you criss cross the country more than a rodeo hooker.
Maybe I am a rodeo hooker...
Old June 29th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Sam_rover
Sam

Any update on the car? was it rescued?
Old June 29th, 2007, 11:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Just saw this thread. That sucks. Yes, according to his blog they got it out without any trouble.

http://www.reluctoblog.blogspot.com/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions