Sitting D-90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
mikeybob2@msn.com
Michael Sabanovich
1994 Defender 90 #1880

Registry
Sitting D-90

My 94 D-90 has been sitting for over a year in my house in Galveston Tx . I put a new battery in it about 6 months ago, started it, washed it, and when I went to put it back in the garage, it was dead.. no clicks.. nothing.. I gave up and had a neighbor help me push it back into the garage where it has been since last August. The battery was fully charged so figured it must be the starter.. I beat on the starter with a hammer (neighbors advice) and nothing happened..
My question: I am going to have it towed to the Rover Shoppe in Houston but want to know what to ask them to do.. Should the gas be drained and the tank cleaned before attempting a start? How abut oil and coolant?? I just don't want to do any more harm than may have already been caused by sitting idle... Any advice is appreciated.. (picture was taken today)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0207.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	12743  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:38 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

Might as well just sell it to me, no need even trying to get it going....just kidding. I would drain the oil and the gas for sure. Condensation with the humidity down here can be really bad. Maybe a bad starter relay, I sure any rover shop can figure it out.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:06 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

You may also have something onboard that is drawing current, and simply slowly ran the battery completely dead.
I left my Garmin on in mine and the trickle drained my Red Top (only 5 weeks old) completely dead in 4 days.

Had a similar situation with my Range Rover Classic and found that the wiring for trailer lights had a short that was constantly pulling a tiny bit and drained the battery if it sat for more than three days.

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
the clock alone will eventually kill a batery

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

He said he replaced the batt. started it, moved it, washed it, and then it wouldn't restart, so it doesn't sound like a drain to me. I would start by double checking the battery terminals to make sure you got them tight. A loose terminal can make contact and start one minute and not the next. I would just change the oil and start driving it.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Did you try jumping the battery? Also, check the fuses... I had the same problem, where the fuese were not securly pushed down. I ran my finger across them and the truck started up.

Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:20 PM
mikeybob2@msn.com
Michael Sabanovich
1994 Defender 90 #1880

Registry
Darn.. I didn't think of jumping it... I'll change the oil next weekend and try it.. I am concerned about the old fuel though.. Not sure how to handle that..
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:36 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I am sure you did jump it, but you did not mention it...

Depending on how much gas was in the tank, you could add an addative and more gas to freshen it up. If you have too much gas in the tank, syphon it out and recycle it.

Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

If the tank is nearly full there won't be much condensation forming anyway b/c the fuel is displacing the area in the tank where it would form. If the tank is nearly empty, I agree with scott. Although I have let cars sit for several months before and never had a problem. Sure the gas isn't the greatest, but it burns and gets replaced with fresh in short order. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those additives essentially alcohol to absorb water? If so, I would think the ethanol in gas would do the same anyway.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90