Since I am here in the UK..... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 21st, 2004, 06:16 PM
whitelandy
Andrew Tokarz

Since I am here in the UK.....

I know this has been talked about several times in the past but here goes....

Ok, so I am in London and all I think about is Landies. Could I walked down to the local LR dealer and buy a fresh D110 with all the fixin's. Then ship it back to the states.

Would the dealer say no? Could I get the truck back to the states and then worry about registration and guidelines.

Or could I buy the truck in pieces, very much like a kit car, then ship? At the states I can put it back together with a title of 1970 mustang or whatever.

I read something in the my local newspaper that talked about LR selling kit cars for 15k and all we have to do is put them together. Any truth to this?

There has to be way to do this........and not spend a lot of money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2004, 05:15 AM
XD90
James Morgan
1986 Ex MOD XD90

do a search re importing in the general chat forum

but its a friggin nightmare

i have heard you can go to a LR dealer and ask for a CKD90/110 (compleat knock down) think it comes mainly as a whole but no bonnet roof engine and gearbox are fitted they come in boxes with it ... this is somthing done by lr to get new 90/110 into the states i think

let me know how it turns out as im desperate to get mine over to the states

oh and how long you in england for ... there are a few LR shows coming up

James
Old August 22nd, 2004, 11:51 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Not too sure but I think the TD5 may not like the high sulfur gas sold in the US; you may want to look into this before you try and bring one over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2004, 01:44 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

I have a TD5 and have had no problem with the diesel that I have been using. Seems to work just fine and it is getting me 20mpg city and 26mpg hwy so I like it just fine!
Old August 22nd, 2004, 05:35 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmmm, ko, I was told by a friend with a tdi Jetts, he read it on the VW TDI forum.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 06:35 PM
whitelandy
Andrew Tokarz

XD90, Here till sept 8th. Might come back after that, just depends on project.

Mike, thanks for the update about fuel. I will look into that.

lrnasd90, What year is your 110? If new, how did you get it to the states?

I made my way over to a LR dealership in London only to find out that they are closed Sundays. It was a fun trip taking the tube. I was drooling through the window staring at a 110 four door with truck bed. Sweet!

I am hoping to get back this week.

Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:57 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers

I'll never tell how I got it here. But it is really nice, I can tell you that. And it is a 110 crew cab like the one you where drooling at.....
Old August 22nd, 2004, 10:21 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelandy
There has to be way to do this........and not spend a lot of money.

Sorry to be the one to burst your bubble, but that is almost an oxymoron what you wrote. The only LEGIT way to do it is spending a TON of money. There are other ways but definitely not legit. The easiest is titling it as a 70's SIII, but just don't get into an accident with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 06:33 AM
whitelandy
Andrew Tokarz

Glenn_Guinto,

"Sorry to be the one to burst your bubble, but that is almost an oxymoron what you wrote. "
No it is not, so go back to english class. What does a ton of money equal? If it equals a thousand pounds in weight then that would be a lot. My guess is that $50k in paper weighs around 10-20 pounds. Which does not equal a ton.

lrnasd90,

Could you share with us? Does this cost a lot of money? What range are we talking about?
Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:44 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Okay... look who's being a smart a$$ here?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelandy
I know this has been talked about several times in the past but here goes....
You actually said it yourself. It has been talked about before. I was just 'refreshing' your memory on what has been discussed before.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just stating the facts. Not trying to be a smart-ass neither. If you ask anyone here that currently drives a UK-spec 110, there is no easy, legit and inexpensive way. Plain and simple. If you choose to not hear the facts, then so be it. We all dream of a 110, but really, the only SIMPLE and LEGIT way is spending quite a few TONS of dough.

ppssttt.... "tons of dough" means "a lot of money". Don't go to your local bakery and order 'tons of dough' because, that ain't going to cut it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:48 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Why would you want a TD5 to begin with here? You wouldn't be able to service the CPU's.

Crap, who wants CPU's in their diesel truck?!
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:02 AM
whitelandy
Andrew Tokarz

I am only trying to get the facts. Sure this is a hot topic, everyone wants to import these cars. I could be wrong but I believe a lot of people do research on this to only fall short of actually following through. People like yourself telling people that it costs "tons of money" is wrong.

What is a "ton of money"? Is it 30k or 50k or 100k.

We will see what lrnasd90 says.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:54 AM
lrnasd90
J. Landers

I won't say anything. Sorry. All I will say is get ready to spend a lot of cash.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:24 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Oh for the LOVE of GOD newbie. Run a friggin search and quit antagonizing...

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ight=importing

The plain and simple is. You can import it easily, but doing so legally is next to ridiculous. If you pull the engine and maybe some of the drivetrain (trans and t-case). You can easily get it here in a container. After that, you have many options to pursue getting it on the road. But it will always be federally "illegal" to drive unless you have a registered importer convert the thing to a '93 spec truck with 3.9 V8, and roll cage, and emissions, etc.

It's easy to get a VIN, it's easy to get your state to sign off on it (well, it depends on the state). It's easy to get insured. Think of how the kit cars and street rods do it... then bulbs will be going on in your head...

It's also easy to get the VIN plate switched in the UK with a Series truck. But then you would be breaking more laws. Good luck.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:28 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Andrew,

Here are some of the things I've learned when looking at the slight possibility of importing a 110. As far as a Defender 110 goes, you can only legally bring a 1993 MY. Check this NHTSA vehicle eligibility list as of July 2004 (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...LIG071404.html).

So, lets experiment a little. According to UK LR site, a County Double Cab Pickup TD5 is 22,195. (http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Produ...and_prices.htm). If you convert that to USD, based on the 1 GBP = 1.81773 USD rate, it comes out to $40,344.55 (according to http://www.xe.com/ucc/). So, add about $1,500 to that to ship it across the pond and voila! - for about $42K, you have a brand spanking new TD5 110 en route to the US.

Now comes the fun part. It's in the hands of the US Customs, where it may or may not get clearance depending on how fast you can cut through the red tape that is about to get thrown at you by the NHTSA, DOT and EPA. Not to mention the duties and other associated fees that you need to pay up front. Then you need to do all the necessary conversions to make it meet the NAS110. Goodluck on the TD5 as it is not a standard NAS 110 engine. That's where the cost can get astronomical and that's when I stopped my research. So, just for the sake of putting a price tag, it's definitely way upwards of at least $50K.

Is it possible? Sure it is. Is it going to be cheap (or as you put it, "inexpensive")? No it won't be. Unless of course $50K is not considered expensive by your standards.

Now let's look at the other way, which is "Ilegally" titling it as a 1970s SIII. I don't know the exact process to that, but usually, people do it on earlier 110s, not brand new ones. Or you can buy a cheap beater 109 just for the title purposes, buy a 110 frame, put the TD5 or whatever engine that fancies you, bolt on the 110 bits and pieces.... $30-$40K later (assuming you're doing most of the labor), you got a D110 that you can register as the beat up 109 that you had initially bought. That may be the cheaper/inexpensive, but not totally legit way.

Another option is ECR build you one, then it will be in the $60-$80K. ECR uses D90s as the base of the conversion and aparently found a loophole in the system that allowed them to "legally" do it. But that doesn't have anything to do with you being in the UK already.

So, hopefully after reading this, you can get a better picture. These are just some of the information that I found based on the previous discussions about this issue in the past and some of my own research. YMMV. Good luck!

Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:00 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Andrew, thinking back a while ago there was a guy that had imported a TD5 110 into the US, he had it on e-bay and I think he wanted 80k or 90k for it. He imported cars as a business, and he brought the 110 as an experiment to see if there was interest, but as it turned out no one wanted to pay that much money for a 110. He said it had a title but I don't know the details.

There was also these guy's

http://www.defendersource.com/discus...s/46/1117.html

They were thinking $43,500 as a group buy, I never really heard any more about them though.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:20 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
The $500 deposit always struck me as comical.

I want in on a $43K truck, so I'll throw down $500 to get in line...
Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:43 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Does he even post here still? I will be VERY CURIOUS to know what happened. I remember him posting that all over the boards. Maybe I should email him. It kinda sounded a bit convincing. I would have never been able to participate though, because I didn't (and still don't) have the $43K in cash.

Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:29 PM
kai
Kai Dussling
2004 Disco II

fwiw:

This guy "was" in our club. He imported a Lara Croft D110 from Spain. The reported cost for the purchase and importation was around $80,000. The vehicle was definately the coolest new rover of our club.

He reportedly had it here temporarily for 1 or 2 years through some loophole.

Long story short, they (i really don't know what agency) came and got it. We got a letter from him a couple of weeks thereafter explaining the above.

Needless to say we haven't heard from him since. The truck was later rumored to be crushed!

That said, good luck on importing!

http://www.houstonlandroverclub.com/...ver/Issue6.pdf

KD

Follow-up Post:

sorry page 11-12 of the PDF file above
Old August 23rd, 2004, 02:54 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
ECR uses D90s as the base of the conversion and aparently found a loophole in the system that allowed them to "legally" do it.
I ALWAYS wondered about this loophole. But never found anything on it. I know a short handful of people on this site have done the same. Anyone have answers to this? Are you just rebuilding the 90 into a 110, and making title ammendments for the vehicle size?

Makes me cringe to hear about the 110 double cab. What a shame.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions