Simple Repairs? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 20th, 2009, 11:33 AM
merlin8ty
Cliff Weinstein
1997 D-90 AA Yellow

Simple Repairs?

Here's the problem. I have accumulated a list of repairs that need to get done to my D90 and just curious on cost and time. Some stuff I could probably do myself, problem is I live in manhattan and not that easy to do work on a vehicle....and I just want to take it somewhere and get it all done. Snowboard season is approaching and I want to feel comfortable driving to VT every weekend. Just looking for any thoughts on total cost and time for the below items:

1. Headlight replacement. (Just the install) Still has factory headlights and driving at night is miserable. Ordered the Hella H4 with Osram Hyper bulbs. (they are sitting in my apt)
2. Oil Change - motor oil suggestions? I have read on the boards that Mobil 1 synthetic is the best?
3. Engine Light is on, has been for 2 months now. Have had no effects while driving and sometimes it's not on. I'm sure it can be alot of things
4. Odometer is scrambled some times and flickers most of the time. Still keeps accurate mileage. Would like to replace/fix to keep accurate mileage. Don't ever plan on selling but if history repeats itself (crash of 2008) i may have to rethink that. ~70,000 miles currently
5. General tune up. Looking for a good trusted mechanic to give the truck a once over.

Prior to puchasing the 90 it had a 62,500 mile service through land rover. That was in January 2009.

Again, I would like to drop the truck off and pick it up in a few days or so and have it ready for the winter travels.

ANY SUGGESTIONS OF GOOD MECHANICS CLOSE TO THE CITY WOULD BE GREAT AS WELL.

THANKS GUYS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2009, 11:58 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Cliff lets get together between Christmas and New Years. I should be in the city. I can help you out with most of this.

You may want to change spark plugs, distributor cap, ignition wire set. We can change oil in the engine, tranny, diffs and transfercase too.

Let me know, we can get most of this done in a day.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:00 PM
merlin8ty
Cliff Weinstein
1997 D-90 AA Yellow

Sounds good. Do i need to order the stuff ahead of time?

Follow-up Post:

what about engine light and odometer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2009, 01:34 PM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

If you disconnect the battery overnight the check engine light will probably go out. Alternatively, if you want to know more about why it's on in the first place, you could remove the cardboard panel in front of the passenger's feet and read the fault code on the little digital read-out. Then google the fault code and see what it corresponds to.
Old December 20th, 2009, 01:47 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Cliff,

Take the truck to an auto parts store and have them read the codes. The OBD2 connection is under the fuse cover on the console. It could be anything, from the gas cap not being tight to a misfire.

The 97's have coil packs, so it does not have a distributor. I believe the digital read out on the passenger side was only on the 94's. The 97's definitely do not have them.

The odometer flashing is a fairly common thing for the 97's and it really is not worth fixing. Mike at ECR used to fix them but the parts have become expensive.

If you are going to upgrade the bulbs in the headlights, you may want to put an ARB relay system in, from Expedition Exchange or make your own, because you will probably burn up the switch.

A tune up and changing all the fluids is very much recommended, use synthetic in everything. Also check to make sure that the breather tubes for the diffs are clog free. You will also want to change the fuel filter and grease the u-joints.

Doing it yourself will help you get to know your truck better, so you can fix it in an emergency. Also, download a copy of the RAVE disc, which will allow you to see the parts, schematics and diagrams of the different systems.

Old December 20th, 2009, 03:15 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Cliff, I can help out too ... I bought the same Hella combo and fitted them in the street ... takes about 15mins and the difference is incredible!

The bulbs are not a major wattage upgrade so should be ok on the original wiring.

For a mechanic I use Ricardo at the Foreign car centre in Queens ... he's very knowledgeable and reasonably priced. For the basic service stuff I highly recommend him.
Old December 20th, 2009, 05:14 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Do not resist the temptation to go with higher wattage bulbs without the wiring upgrade. I knew better but couldn't resist. I was wrong.
Old December 20th, 2009, 06:30 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover
Do not resist the temptation to go with higher wattage bulbs without the wiring upgrade. I knew better but couldn't resist. I was wrong.
what wattage bulbs did you use?
Old December 20th, 2009, 08:39 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
I meant to say DO resist. I think they were 85w. Luckily all that fried was the socket. Could have been a lot worse. I am going to do the relay harness before going back to higher wattage. It was nice though.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:59 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
rallylights.com excellent prices and 10% for mentioning the D-90.com e codes and stock wattage are plenty of light.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions