silly question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 11th, 2015, 07:40 PM
edfest
Ed Mistler
88 D-110 station wagon 2.5TD

silly question

Just to kick things off :-)

How do I use this thing (webasto)? Do I just hit the "flame" button? or do I have to program it somehow?

And secondly, when looking at the engine from the front, which way does the bonnet stay pointy end angle? Ie... does it zag left or right? Mine is bent/twisted and not attached, and I'm going to bang it back, but I'm not sure which way it attaches.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1579.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	134410  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2015, 09:28 PM
edfest
Ed Mistler

The flame button works!
How long should I run it before starting the engine?

Also, there is a box underneath the second row seating? A heater? Is it connected to the webasto?

Any help is appreciated!
Old November 13th, 2015, 07:14 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Depending on the outside temperature, I let mine on for 3/4hrs at -25/30deg before starting my 200tdi. No need for glow plugs with a webasto!

As for the box under the passenger seat, check if there's a heater matrix? It might be an aux heater or you could be surprise and find a cab heater (webasto) as I have set up mine there... You never know!
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2015, 07:35 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
Depending on the outside temperature, I let mine on for 3/4hrs at -25/30deg before starting my 200tdi. No need for glow plugs with a webasto! As for the box under the passenger seat, check if there's a heater matrix? It might be an aux heater or you could be surprise and find a cab heater (webasto) as I have set up mine there... You never know!
Prob a Kodiak heater no?
Old November 13th, 2015, 09:06 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
I know some defender has it fit, take some pics. I'm sure it's not that hard for someone on this forum to tell you if it is genuine kodiak heater. Your webasto control is a 7 days type. Check for it on google. If I remember it right, there's some pdf (operator's manual) you can find on the webasto website.

It might be my batteries setup (red and yellow top optima with a national luna split charging system), but after an hour of heating the engine, the webasto eats up 1/2 my battery. Lucky to have another for starting! If you don't have a twin batteries setup I would try it at home before heading to the bush at -20deg ! Also if you are located on a -20/30deg region, use synthetic oil. 20w50 is like molasses at this temperature while synthetic 20w50 stay a bit more liquid. It lubes more rapidly !
Old November 13th, 2015, 07:44 PM
edfest
Ed Mistler

Thank you for the tips! I may start carrying an emergency battery, just in case.

Here are a few pics of the "box". Front and back. It appears to be a heater of some kind, i'm just not sure how it works. It has a fan inside.

and a random toggle switch that may be related?

-Ed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1592.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	134560   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1591.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	134561  

Name:	IMG_1593.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	134562  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions