Silly lightbulb question? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 29th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Silly lightbulb question?

Hey,

I have a 1995 Soft top.

My passenger rear turn signal is out. The turn signal flashes quickly to let me know that one of the lights was out. So I figured - no problem to do this one myself! That is one thing that the Defender did right! It is super easy to get at this bulb by just taking the lense with the exposed screws.

I did so in a Sears parking lot. Took the bulb in. Grabed one that 'looked' the same. Had the guy in the Auto department look up the Defender and he confirmed the bulb. Stupidly, I threw the old bulb out on my way to the car. I Made the replacement - still no turn signal. I need to trace if power is getting to the bulb. Have not does so yet.

BUT - I had a friend that used to own a D90 tell me "that he thought the bulbs were special and could not just be bought off the shelf at Sears. Generic bulbs would not fit and I had to go thru someone like Rover's North."

IS THAT TRUE?

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2008, 10:07 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

I've bought turn signal bulbs for my 90 at auto zone before... I just looked it up in the book. It worked fine.
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:17 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Theres nothing special about the bulbs, but I have purchased faulty bulbs before with an internal short. Its pretty aggravating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

THANKS as always for the REALLY fast answers. It was a two pack of bulbs - I will try the other bulb and then start tracing if power is getting to the light.

Thanks! Flagg
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:38 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

Try cleaning the contacts; they are probably oxidized. I had the same problem.
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Do I have to worry about getting shocked from the battery? Wear rubber gloves? Or do I just go in there with a pencil eraser and clean the contacts?

Sorry I am an electrical bonehead. Got to admit......electricity scares me.

Thanks......Flagg
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:27 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
Do I have to worry about getting shocked from the battery? Wear rubber gloves? Or do I just go in there with a pencil eraser and clean the contacts? Thanks......Flagg
No.
No.
Yes.

add a shot of WD-40, for good measure.
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:07 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I just had this happen and was the first fix for my 90 under my ownership. Turned out the bulb socket was bad - a trip to the local LR dealer and $5 for a single prong (I think the brake lights are 2) and it was working fine. The only bummer about the whole process was that the screws for each light were stripped. I went to West Marine and got some #6 SS screws and some washers.
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

OK - finally had a warm day.

Tried the eraser trick - contacts were dirty. Did a shot of WD40. Still no light. I ran out of time today.

Next I am going to try to trace if power is flowing up the wire to the blub socket - and then perhaps I need a new socket like Don.

Thanks for all the tips...........I will post back what it was when I find it.

Flagg

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht