silly electrical system-Haz lights not working - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 14th, 2012, 10:01 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

silly electrical system-Haz lights not working

OK time again for me to tap the collective genius here. so far you guys have been awesome in helping me either directly or indirectly with my 110. here's the next saga:

hazard lights, when you activate the switch, nothing happens....except that when you use the turn signal now they don't work. turn off the hazards, turn signals work fine? what the hey?

if it helps other fun things: horn sounds wonky, sometimes doesn't work, might be a ground issue, and yes i have the 110 with the fun temp gauge that came on with the key in acc position and went flat with the engine on(so far i have figured out that i had the wrong gauge and sender from egauges correctly ordered, incorrectly sent...waiting for new parts) thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2012, 10:24 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

I am having similar issues with my hazard-blinkers. Have you checked the wires on the back of the switch? That would be my first guess second would be your switch went bad. They are not that expensive
Old January 14th, 2012, 10:48 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
I am having similar issues with my hazard-blinkers. Have you checked the wires on the back of the switch? That would be my first guess second would be your switch went bad. They are not that expensive
i checked the back, just a group relay everything was plugged in, actually couldnt easily get it apart, was working on something else so just left it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The back of the hazard has one large connector and then two side wires that connect on the side of the switch. It is normal when you have the hazard on that the turn signals will not work. you might have a bad ground or a bad switch.
Old January 15th, 2012, 09:08 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

Bad ground seems to come up alot. Especially with my horn sounding wonky and temp gauge issues how to I fix it? What should I be looking to ground specifically? Do I run a new ground cable from the chassis to where?
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
If the DEF hazard switch is like the one on my Stage One - the hot lead for the indicators comes from the hazard switch. With the hazard switch off - +12v is routed to the indicators. With the hazard switch pulled, +12v is routed to the fourways.

I saw that same thing - I had to replace my Hazard switch. It is a small octopus of wires considering I only thought it was a single throw switch.
Sterling, VA
Old January 16th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

On the ground...find your grounding points and clean them up. You may have a particular function that isn't grounded any more that you may need to run a new ground. It is easy to check. Run a temporary ground wire to what you suspect is bad, if it now works..it was the ground.
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:36 AM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

I'm also trying to figure out why my hazards don't work. Not sure if this will be helpful for you, but there's some good info here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=25376
Old February 21st, 2012, 06:30 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

replaced the switch, everything regarding the has lights works perfect, thanks guys, now if i could only make the truck run
Old October 14th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Pwo
Porter
94 NAS D90

Take the switch out of the dash and flush it with wd40 and blow it out with an air hose. The flashers will work. The contacts get dirty. You can also use contact cleaner. This is also why people complain bout having to pull out on the hazard switch to get the turn signals to work.
Old October 14th, 2014, 09:29 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Nice revival of a 2 year old zombie thread.
Old October 14th, 2014, 11:04 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Noobs..
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:11 AM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Hrmm..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 15th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Pwo
Porter
94 NAS D90

I'm glad I could amuse you. No one else ever answered his two year old question.
Old October 15th, 2014, 08:48 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwo View Post
I'm glad I could amuse you. No one else ever answered his two year old question.
Post number 9? Not trying to dampen a newbies spirit it was just funny that a zombie thread was reawakened.
Old October 15th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Pwo
Porter
94 NAS D90

Not a problem. My point in posting in a two year old thread,was to anyone searching this subject. 99% of the time you can clean the switch and save your hard earned money. It was not directed to the op.
Old October 15th, 2014, 09:07 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If I had seen it I would have said what you did (as I have in a few other threads like this over the years). Cheers for cleaning it up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical, ht, lights