Side Step question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:57 PM
48vphantom
Jeff Hoien
1997 NAS D90

Side Step question

Hey everyone!! So I installed my oem sidesteps last week starting with drivers side first on my 97. Moved to the passenger side and finished it up no problem. Here's the question. Looking down the side of the vehicle the front of the sidestep sticks out about 3" from the body. At the rear it's almost 4". So of course I'm looking at the install and there is no way to screw it up. Not a huge problem but bugs me nonetheless. Anyone else looked at their steps and said hey they aren't square. The only way I see to square em up is to cut off the rear bracket and reweld...good thing they were used. And they are not bent either...
thanks jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Jerry
Jerry Silverman
97 D-90 SW

Was luck enough to buy a pair of OEM steps off a fellow D-90 source reader formy 97 SW and have the same exact issue. Driver's side is completely square and level....... passenger's side rear sticks out about an inch more than the front and hangs about 1/2 an inch lower in the rear than the front. Like you said doesn't look like there are too many ways to get the install wrong but any suggestions would put my mind to rest.
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:47 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
thats the problem getting rid of those things was the 6th best thing i have done to my defender
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Jerry
Jerry Silverman
97 D-90 SW

I know, I know........... tired of hearing my lady complain about getting in and out.
Old March 13th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

is asnything bent? how about a pic of both the front mount and back mount.
Old March 13th, 2006, 07:22 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I think they might not be square i remember it seemed that mine sat a tad lower and a little furthur out in the rear... hae you tried adjusting? losen it all up and see how much room you hae to work with. also is it OEM vs Genuine I find that OEM stuff isnt always or nearly as good as genuine stuff
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:02 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

hey jerry,

steve here from wisconsin (i am the guy he bought them from) mine are sq as far as i know???
i am very curious now to know why?? were some sw equipt with them having diff achor points??
i also have a new pair on ine jerry and there are sq i think? i'll have to double check? guess i never really looked at them that close. if they don't fit jerry give me a call and i will take them back. i don't want you to feel stuck. by the way got tons done this weekend with the warm weather too bad it is going to be cold all week!! at least we have st. patty's day to warm us all up with some guiniess!!

also they are genuine LR steps.
Old March 14th, 2006, 12:57 AM
48vphantom
Jeff Hoien
1997 NAS D90

Well here's how I fixed mine. Took the torch and grinder to the rear brackets and cut them off. Picked up some 5/16 flat 2" and made a u-shaped bracket. Bolted up the front and measured with tape measure and t-square to try and achieve level with bottom of rocker and same outside measurement of tube to body. To install you have to pound the big front end bolt back till flush and then put the rear up first, then the front and tap the bolt back through the big hole...They are welded up and ready to go..but before I hang them i treated the inside of the tubes with rust killer. A Napa product that you pour in. I covered one end of the holes with tape, poured in and shook. Once coated, i poured out into container to pour into second sidestep...I will try to post some pics of the brackets...Also any one rhino lined there sidesteps, I wonder how they look, or maybe even Waxoyl hardwax spray

ps: in my case it wasn't the sidesteps fault they were not square to the truck. The rear bracket for the mudflap was welded differently for both sides. Hand built and welded I guess.
jeff
Old March 14th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Jerry
Jerry Silverman
97 D-90 SW

Steve......... don't worry at all about the steps. They went on easy and no one would ever know that one side is different from the other. No worries! Anyway there is a Yellow 97 ST down the street so I went and had a peak and the boards sit exactly the same on this guy's truck as mine.
Old March 14th, 2006, 10:23 AM
steved90
steven melnyk

ok thats cool jerry.

curious thing tho don't ya think??
Old January 17th, 2007, 09:17 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Chalk up another crooked set of side steps for me as well.

97 D90 SW

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions