Side sill guard install ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
durangorover
Chris Wherry
1995 D-90

Side sill guard install ?

This may seem like a stupid question, but what is the best way to install sill guards. Do they bolt right over the factory sills? Wouldn't the vibration from the vehicle cause the two to rub together destroying the factory painted sills? There were no mounting instructions or hardware that came with the AB package. Thanks, Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2008, 12:43 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
With the Safari Guard rock sliders that I have the factory sill piece below the door comes off. It is just a couple small bolts. Then the sliders bolt/weld on.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 01:15 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
If you mean the 5 bar protection plates, then I have always installed mine with rivets and some silicone on the backside of the panel. I run a bead all the way around, around the rivet holes, and then make a squiggly pattern in the middle. This eliminates moisture and vibration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2008, 04:03 PM
durangorover
Chris Wherry
1995 D-90

Yes I'm talking about the 5 protection plate. I don't have a riveter, would you use some SS bolts instead? There are only four holes between the top and bottom you'd have to drill thru the factory sill to secure. It doesn't seem like that would secure it very well though.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
you have to drill holes in the flimsy factory sills. The five bar protectors don't add much protection, they cover up previous damage well.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:05 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
OEM ones are always require drilling holes, so the sill damage thing is a bit moot since you're destroying the sill to install the plate.

What color is your truck? If its yellow, I'd happily trade you drilled sills for undrilled ones. I have the black chequer plate on mine that I'd like to get rid of.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions