Side effect of sound dampening with HLiner (B-Quiet) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 28th, 2013, 08:17 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Side effect of sound dampening with HLiner (B-Quiet)

So I installed a sheet of HLiner from B-Quiet this afternoon (http://www.b-quiet.com/hliner.html). While I wasn't fond of sticking something on underside of the hood / bonnet, I am starting to do a few sound proofing items in the vehicle (have held off so far on dynamat with the interior opting to do that just in the battery compartment, passenger compartment, and have used some foam+mass loaded vinyl under the mats). I have to say the liner under the hood made by far the biggest difference with engine noise. My wife commented to me this evening how quiet the Defender was windows up or windows down. Before I could lightly hear the shifting and had to listen for it, and now I REALLY hear the shifting given the quiet background.

So here's the catch which has me wondering. One of the side effects of the HLiner is that it also reflects heat. This is clearly a good thing from the standpoint of the paint on the hood, but not sure it's a good thing for the engine as I feel there's a lot more heat in the engine bay now after driving around for a while. The hood is cold to the touch, the top of the wheel wells are pretty hot and opening up the hood / engine area, it's definitely pretty hot. Clearly the hood was a big heat sink like a fanless setup for a CPU on a board with the outdoor air helping dissipate the heat from the hood. So query, should I be worried about this? Certainly LOVE the new found quietness in the cabin.

(One other strategy may be to cut away the HLiner in the 4+ holes in the cross bars which would allow some heat to move up into those columns, but I know from a sound proofing perspective have a full panel has the highest benefit which is why I started there)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2013, 09:05 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The hood not being as much of a heat sink will not hurt your engine. Long term it will be a little harder on the plastic parts I suppose? Nothing o worry about.

Did you use a roller on that?

I kind of mentioned this recently in another thread, that my experience with these products is that the trade off for sound dampening is water retention. That stuff looks like it will hold water like a sponge. Very very similar to Dynaliner by Dynamat. Not an issue for a show car or a hot rod but less than ideal for a defender. I believe this is why you never see this type material used on production cars, instead it's common to see a kind of molded shell that resembles fiberglass. In addition to absorbing sound and insulating against heat, it also absorbs water, but it dries much much more easily as one entire side is entirely exposed to the warm air moving around the engine.

If you can keep the edges totally dry you might be OK. But is ANY part of a defender body totally dry 100% of the time? My experience with dynaliner was that once it wicks up into the foam, even a little water will have a LOT of difficulty drying out. Maybe others have used it without this happening and can offer suggestions? Over time, enough water can build up until the point where the material weighs so much that the adhesive fails. In the meantime, you have a thick blanket of moisture across the entire underside of the hood. Don't forget that it is an aluminum skin over a steel frame. I guess it all comes down to how bad the engine noise bothers you.
Old June 28th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It will be fine. I've had a good li we for ten years. Nothing bad has happened.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2013, 09:41 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Good to hear the positive feedback, thanks gents. going to tinker around and do a little more soundproofing for fun. I did a beast of a sound proofing job in our daily driver for our family and it went from noisy and fatiguing on long trips to what seems like dead silence. HUGE project though and every time I addressed one area, it would reveal another... (and added enough weight that the car is a little biz slower)

In terms of water retention, I'm pretty good about driving in nice weather or only minor rain (it's a weekend only car), so should be pretty good on that front. Unfortunately where we keep the 110 there's not a lot of technical off roading or trail opportunities (a few rough municipal roads under power lines in the trees with only small hills), so generally don't submerge it either (which is not a good call w the NAS110 anyway).
Old June 30th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Lemonhead
TB
1997 D90 SW

I used the H-Liner on my hood as well. I cut it to fit inside the recessed areas. Cut down on noise and cut down a little heat - hood still gets warm. Though put a new Borla exhaust on a few weeks ago so not as quiet as before
Old June 30th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
interesting. I did my bonnet with a different product but may be interested in redoing it with this. be interested to hear in someone with a TDI using this product.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old June 30th, 2013, 08:40 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Please post the part number and may I ask how much you paid?

Mike
Old August 10th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

For what it's worth, I just did this too. I used the Roadkill stuff, which the local audio shops recommended. it was about $70 from Amazon. One sheet is not really enough for a Defender hood, if you do it seamless like silverlight (& I) did.

I first had the Noise Killer set from the UK. it's heavier & thicker, but I can't get it to stay on the hood, even with the 3M hood adhesive everyone recommends. (interestingly, I emailed Noise Killer about this & they recommended I not use any glue since it would fill up the pores, but there's really no way else to attach it to a hood. )When you feel that Noise Killer stuff you can understand why. But as a result, half of my Noise Killer hood treatment just fell off & is gone, so I added the sheet of Roadkill on top & am supplementing it with aluminum strips. Maybe there's a way to use galvanized chicken wire or something, but that's going too far. Noise Killer just can't stay on the hood I guess.

They do include a very heavy motor "mat" that one cable-ties to the underside of the hood. It feels like one of those lead blanket the dentist puts on you before an x-ray.

I have a 200TDi but haven't attached the newly-coated hood yet to be able to tell you a difference. i worried about the same thing as silverlight.
Old August 10th, 2013, 01:20 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Are the engine covers on newer cars more for sound deadening than looks (which I used to think they were for)? Maybe just laying a big ass rubber mat over the entire engine compartment would be effective?
Old August 10th, 2013, 01:47 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I think the big plastic covers are to keep people from working on their own cars...

Old August 10th, 2013, 01:59 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
I think the big plastic covers are to keep people from working on their own cars...
More likely to add a couple of hours onto the main dealer mechanics worksheet.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 10th, 2013, 04:02 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Are the engine covers on newer cars more for sound deadening than looks (which I used to think they were for)? Maybe just laying a big ass rubber mat over the entire engine compartment would be effective?
Lr3 covers definitely include more than just plastic. Now... The look has to be good too!
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 10th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
No, they are there to give you a convenient flat surface to put your foil-wrapped sandwich on so that it cooks while you drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions