Sick Of Messy Oil Change - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 6th, 2004, 02:00 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Sick Of Messy Oil Change

Does anybody out there have a tip on how to change the oil without making a huge mess in my garage?
Has anybody tried the "suck out the dip stick" method?
Sucker Method

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Sucker.bmp (182.9 KB, 158 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2004, 02:39 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
What are you doing that is making it such a messy job? I can change mine without a drop on the floor but I always get a bit on my hands, rubber gloves solve that problem. You can replace the drain plug with a drain valve that has been discussed here or on the Discoweb at length. I would be hesitant to do the Sucker method. I like flushing my crankcase with some cheap oil after it has drained to flush out any bits that may be in there and I doubt you would get that with the sucker method.
Old October 6th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=2548

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=1305
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2004, 03:18 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Put a large plastic bag round the oil filter once it's cracked loose, that cuts down on spilage too.
Old October 6th, 2004, 03:35 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Cardboard under pan and filter - mandatory!

A large 10 qt or so plastic oil tub from Walmart. The kind with a small hole on the top, middle. When the oil plug is about to fall off put a funnel under it to catch it and control the oil flowing out.

You can do the plastic bag over the filter or punch a nail hole in it and drain it.

I don't trust those valves. If one fails it's trouble.
Old October 6th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

It get's better with each change. First one was a disaster. Second one hardly a drop as I knew where to position the pan and knew to adjust it to the oil draining.

I would agree with Art.

EwS
Old October 7th, 2004, 09:54 AM
mspell
Michael Spellman

I wedge a piece of cardboard between the header & the oil pan, so the oil gushes out & flows down into the pan. I actually use one of the top flaps from the cardboard case of oil I buy for the oil change. Someone here gave me the idea, but they use(& re-use) a piece of aluminum. The other thing I have is a magnetic probe, I let the drain plug pop off & fall into the pan, then fish it out with the probe.I was going to say that the filter sucks, but using a bag around it is a great idea. Thanks artm!
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Didn't Jiffy Lube used to have those drain plugs for some system they could attach a hose to the plug, kinda vacuum the oil out through the drain plug.

I wonder how that worked and if it can be done in a home shop.

I like the bag around the filter idea, must try that next time.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 8th, 2004, 03:00 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

I like the 'plastic bag around the filter' idea, guys, thanks!

I usually get the oil out without too much spilling, and then end up accidentally knocking the pan with my foot and sending some oil flying. Murphy never fails.
Old October 8th, 2004, 10:00 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I must say I don't like the plastic bag idea. You're contaminating a piece of plastic with oil and introducing this to the environment - probably throwing it away with the trash.

I would rather spike a hole in the filter or drain it directly into the pan. To be honest, once you move that big drain pan under the filter area it will catch it all and only lightly smear your hands. No big deal.

Yes, I am an Enviro-Nazi.
Old October 8th, 2004, 11:10 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
haha driving a D-90. I try to be eco friendly but I mean o well as much as those things leak drips drops etc. I need an oil well but with that being said go ride a bike. <-- my main mode of transportation

good point tho Arthur it is good to see the used oil off to the right place all of this shit adds up if you think you can just "throw it away"
Old October 8th, 2004, 03:01 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
and what happens to all the oil spilt on the drive????
At least if the spill is contained in the bag and you've got the choice of what to do with it
Diesels have some nasty stuff in their used sump oil and it's best that it doesn't come into contact with your skin
I usually put an 8' x 4' sheet of hard board under the Landrover. I can then slide out the way really quickly when the oilchange starts to go horribly wrong
Spills are easier to wipe up too
Old October 8th, 2004, 03:15 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

"All the oil spilt on the drive" ? What do you mean? I said move the drain pan to under the filter. No oil on drive.

You're right about protecting your skin - even from non-diesel used oil. But we're all lazy to some degree.
Old October 9th, 2004, 01:52 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
I must say I don't like the plastic bag idea. You're contaminating a piece of plastic with oil and introducing this to the environment - probably throwing it away with the trash.

I would rather spike a hole in the filter or drain it directly into the pan. To be honest, once you move that big drain pan under the filter area it will catch it all and only lightly smear your hands. No big deal.

Yes, I am an Enviro-Nazi.
'doesn't make sense to me. With the "hole in filter" method, you're still "contaminating" things with oil; hand or glove, and the nail. 'not any different than the small residue that's left in the bag after you've drained/wiped most of it from bag into oil pan.

In any case, it seems negligible to the oil residue remaining in the filter itself, which is also going to get put in the trash.

And to me, getting worked up about this little amount is more ideological than science-based. Properly disposed of, this little bit of rotted dinosaur isn't going to lead to groundwater or soil contamination, the two big worries with oil contamination (at least not with my trash: I know where it goes).
Old October 9th, 2004, 11:05 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
"All the oil spilt on the drive" ? What do you mean? I said move the drain pan to under the filter. No oil on drive.

You're right about protecting your skin - even from non-diesel used oil. But we're all lazy to some degree.
With a Tdi the front prop is in the way, oil pours all over the prop before getting into the carefully placed bucket (if you're lucky).
Old October 9th, 2004, 02:33 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I pull the truck in the backyard. Dig a hole. Drive the truck over the hole. Drain oil into hole. Back truck up cover hole. No messy driveway.
Old October 10th, 2004, 01:43 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
I pull the truck in the backyard. Dig a hole. Drive the truck over the hole. Drain oil into hole. Back truck up cover hole. No messy driveway.
Even better - use someone else's back yard
Old October 12th, 2004, 09:28 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

The cut plastic milk jug sounds like the easiest-to-implement solution. The bent aluminum is slick. But that Difflock.com drain plug is definitely the sweetest solution of the bunch.

Thanks for the ideas on how to keep the oil from spilling all over the drive way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions