Shrockworks Tire Carrier Paint - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 13th, 2004, 11:03 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Shrockworks Tire Carrier Paint

My new tire carrier arrives today unfinished. I was wondering what some of you guys have used to finish it? One idea was to use the roll-on bed liner. It seems like a tough coating but will it collect dirt and debris too much? Any sugestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2004, 11:33 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

You could do either POR-15 or just use spray can primer and paint. POR-15 would be more durable. It has a plastic-like, thick finish if you apply the 3 coats or so that they recommend. Spray paint sure is a lot easier to apply (and touch up) and I wouldn't imagine that you'd have to worry much about abrasion resistance for a tire carrier.

The other alternative, would be to have it powdercoated, if you wanted to shell out the $$ to make it real nice.
Old August 13th, 2004, 01:47 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I happen to have some POR-15. I fI remember it is a grey color. Can I spray paint right on top of that? If it chips I guess the grey will show through, right? I might then spray a primer over the POR-15 then a flat black spray paint it finish the job. Any thoughts on this method?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2004, 02:08 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

NO POR 15. It does not work well on clean metal

Go to Lowes, get Krylon EPOXY primer and EPOXY black spray paint. Two-four thin coats of each. Clean the metal with brake clean first and if you want give it a very light scuff with 200+grip sand paper first.

I do not recommend flat paint but they do make it in flat black. Really you want gloss, it will be really shiney when it is new but 6 months or so it will be pleasing.

I paint a lot of things black and this is by far the best method.

Ron
Old August 13th, 2004, 02:18 PM
lobster
Rob Goodall
1995 D90

Just spend the $ to get it powdercoated. It cost me about 65 bucks and looks much better then the sliders I built and didn't powdercoat.
Old August 13th, 2004, 03:13 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Mike, as I recall, the metal is supposed to be ultra-clean before you put the POR on. It'll seal any moisture not cleaned off the metal. They sell some cleaner and you could use that, or I guess, you could use just about anything else. I think their stuff actually etches the surface to improve adherence. You might check their website. You do need to paint on top of the POR since it's not UV resistance.

Ron has a good idea on the spray paint, too.

And then again, if it's only $65 for powdercoating, it's the best/easiest way to go.

So...
Ease: Powdercoating
Cost: Spray Can
Durability: POR

just my thoughts, at least
Old August 13th, 2004, 03:25 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Mike,

Listen to Rob & Ron...

Don't use POR15, he's absolutely correct, it is horrible on clean surfaces... And 'homestyle' bedliners are junk too. I used Herculiner and it's not 'all-that'. I'd do RHINOLINING if I did any bedliner product.. but that may not work out well on a spare tire carrier (hinges/joints/etc..)

Get it powdercoated... and be done with it.

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 13th, 2004, 03:30 PM
lobster
Rob Goodall
1995 D90

Off topic but how is the weather down there Nicholas?
Old August 13th, 2004, 03:37 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Well, if you ask everyone else you'll have to chase them down at the local grocery because they're all filling their cars up with bottled water... and driving about 15 mph on a partly cloudy day.

It's about 85... partly cloudy... a little rain earlier but not bad.

I miss that NC weather though from this weekend, that was PERFECT. Those mountains rule.

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 13th, 2004, 03:39 PM
lobster
Rob Goodall
1995 D90

You are lucky it doesn't snow down there. That is exactly what everyone does here if you mention the white stuff. Hope you don't float away.
Old August 13th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Getting back on topic, I have never used POR 15, but I have heard bad stories about it as much as good ones, I think you really need to do good surface prep first. The same goes for hurculiner, I put it in the tub of the 90 and it works GREAT! But I did a ton of prep work. For things like my sliders that I know no paint will hold up to the abuse I will put them through I use Rustoleum primer, then black on top of that, that way it's cheap and easy to clean up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, paint, tire, tire carrier