Shrockworks Tire Carrier - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 1st, 2005, 05:08 PM
m.michaels
Matthew Michaels
1997 D90 SW

Shrockworks Tire Carrier

I talked to the guy at Shrockworks and they mentioned they are not making the D90 Tire Carrier anymore. He said if there were 3 or mote interested he would consider doing a run of these . . .

I want one, so are 2 other takers? I think there is a link in the vendor section for pictures and the like . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2005, 08:51 PM
UpnOver
David Williams
'97 Yellow ST

matt,
Jim emailed my today asked me if I wanted one. I told him yes, so there is two. Can we get a third?

David
Old February 1st, 2005, 10:06 PM
jdb3760
Jake Buinewicz
95 Defender 90 softtop

im defiantly in on this one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2005, 11:41 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Good choice guys. But I recommend seeing if they can improve the retaining pin and cable. I just got my tire carrier from shrockworks (september '04) and I am really happy with it. But the pin and cable need to be improved. Instead of a pin, I would suggest a retaining plate (?) that doesn't allow the carrier to swing far enough to contact the truck. Probably just past 90degrees so that the door is allowed to open freely. The pin can still be used to prevent the carrier from swinging closed.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 12:17 AM
ShrockWorks
Jim Shrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmccallum
Good choice guys. But I recommend seeing if they can improve the retaining pin and cable. I just got my tire carrier from shrockworks (september '04) and I am really happy with it. But the pin and cable need to be improved. Instead of a pin, I would suggest a retaining plate (?) that doesn't allow the carrier to swing far enough to contact the truck. Probably just past 90degrees so that the door is allowed to open freely. The pin can still be used to prevent the carrier from swinging closed.
Hi All,
I stopped making these because they are really complicated, they have many many pieces and parts and the volume is such that it is difficult to stock parts. Since there are 3+ of you, I'm willing to do one final run, but this will in all likelyhood be the last of them.

mdmccallum / Mike,
There is a tab on the latest version that keeps it from opening much past 90deg. Red arrow in attached pic. Does your's have it? If not, email me, and I'll see what I can do about getting you a tab or a hinge with the tab already on there.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lowerhinge-d90.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	2414  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 09:51 AM
mspell
Michael Spellman

How much are they?
Old February 2nd, 2005, 11:14 AM
ShrockWorks
Jim Shrake

The std rack is $650. That includes a mount for a spare tire, jerry can, and high lift Jack. Pics and info are here: http://community.webshots.com/album/51076615JlXUQt

Old February 2nd, 2005, 11:58 AM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

Do they come painted or powder coated? What is the appoximate shipping cost? And approximately how long would it take to arrive?

Thanks Larry
Old February 2nd, 2005, 12:35 PM
ShrockWorks
Jim Shrake

They are bare stell std. I can powder coat them semi-gloss black if you want. It's $80.00.

They have to ship truck freight. I hate to guess since it varies so much, but say $70-100 to a business address as a rough guess. With your zip code I can get you an exact quote. All freight carriers tack on an additional $50-60 fee for a residential delivery.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 12:38 PM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

my zip is 28304. Fayetteville, NC
Old February 2nd, 2005, 01:32 PM
ShrockWorks
Jim Shrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripp2002
my zip is 28304. Fayetteville, NC
I guessed pretty good. $75.00 to a business address and $130.00 to a residence.

Jim

Old February 2nd, 2005, 01:57 PM
lobster
Rob Goodall
1995 D90

I love mine. Thanks Jim
Old February 2nd, 2005, 03:22 PM
jdb3760
Jake Buinewicz
95 Defender 90 softtop

How much of an extra charge would it be if you have to make the bottom bar of the tire carrier curve up a bit to clear a dixon bate hitch? I saw this in one of the pictures and realized that I would have the same problem. Thank you.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 03:30 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

Jim,

Can I get in on this too. That way you can make 4 of them. I have seen Rob's up close and love it..

Matt...
Old February 2nd, 2005, 04:57 PM
m.michaels
Matthew Michaels
1997 D90 SW

If you want this - Call Shrockworks NOW

He is going to give us a week to fish or cut bait. He gets three guys to place orders he will make a final run . . .

You don't want to be the one guy who gets left out of this limited edition tire carrier, wishing you had only responded earlier.

I called and he put me on the list, he said it will take 4-5 weeks to get all the parts together, assemble, and send out.

I have waited 11 years of my marriage for the budget appropriation for my toys, now that I am this close I don't want to see the opportunity slip away. What if the money for the tire carrier ended up getting spent on indoor plants - then how would you guys feel?
Old February 2nd, 2005, 05:25 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL plants! Well I'll make it a sticky to keep it up top for a week.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:10 PM
jdb3760
Jake Buinewicz
95 Defender 90 softtop

I ordered mine tonight. I got the dual jerry cans, The custom bottom bar to accomodate the dixon bate hitch, and I had them powdercoat it. I just hope that I can wait the four weeks!
Old February 3rd, 2005, 01:48 AM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Just curious: will the Shrockworks tire carrier fit around the rear ladder assembly for the Land Rover Safari Roof Rack?
Old February 3rd, 2005, 11:31 AM
ShrockWorks
Jim Shrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Tarr
Just curious: will the Shrockworks tire carrier fit around the rear ladder assembly for the Land Rover Safari Roof Rack?
I've never had one in here to try it, but it looks like the high lift would likely hit the rack and even a single jerry can might hit, so I cant recommend it.

I added three new single Jerry can SW pics at the bottom here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/51076615JlXUQt

Jim

Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:03 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Jim I will call you about the hinge with the tab. Mines doesn't have a tab.

To the rest of you guys without one of these. Don't miss the boat.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, tire, tire carrier