Defender Source Forum banner

Should there be a gasket here?

Tags
gas
1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  junkyddog11 
#1 ·
Between the "breather valve" and the valve cover?

Trying to track down an oil leak. I used silicone last time but I don't think it's doing the job and its still wet in this area

The is only one bolt to hold the breather assembly to the cover.... Which to me means its gonna leak on the other side since its not evenly held in place....

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Between the "breather valve" and the valve cover?

Trying to track down an oil leak. I used silicone last time but I don't think it's doing the job and its still wet in this area

The is only one bolt to hold the breather assembly to the cover.... Which to me means its gonna leak on the other side since its not evenly held in place....
The grooved bit that a o ring fits on is missing/broken off on yours, not sure if the 300 has the same but differant type of housing?

I can get a picture for you once my battery is charged

Delete my last I put my glasses on and see your oring is worn down/gone hard, dig the sucker out and fit a new one

#6 ·
This is from my disco 200tdi engine, o ring is stuffed as well

Attachments

#8 ·
Definitely an o-ring for there. If you need a pic of what it is supposed to look like let me know and I can snap a picture.

#12 ·
I should say the o ring is not really an o ring its a square section, just like the kind you have left over from a full v8 head gasket set. Or at least I allways have them left over.

Bossman don't forget to wash out the Cyclone strainer in nice fresh diesel

#16 ·
not a bad thing to have a spare of. Not like in the truck spare but hanging in the shop spare. I have broken these just leaning on them (they get old and brittle).

You should ask George about injectors. Last I knew he had a killer deal on them. Not a bad thing to have spares of either. Just put some new ones in my 2.5 and it's like a new motor lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.