Should I cover screw holes in the tub? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 6th, 2013, 10:41 AM
bradleyt09
Brad Taylor
'97 D90 ST

Should I cover screw holes in the tub?

I just removed the hardtop on my D90 and installed a surrey top. Just wondering if it is advisable to cover all the screw holes in the tub (top of the sides) where the hard tub screwed in, or maybe just put the screws back in? Is there some sort of matting or strip that can be installed to the top of the tub sides to cover the holes? Asking from the standpoint of water intrusion.

Also, is it normal for the alpine bow to have huge play from front to back? I'm wondering if I have the correct hardware for installation of the alpine bow. Without the soft top, the bow can be moved probably 30 degrees front and back. With the top on, this is not an issue because the velcro sleeves on the underside of the top hold the bow secure. But the alpine bow would have to be removed to run topless as it would just flop around like crazy. Please let me know if this is normal, or am I missing some mounting hardware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2013, 12:26 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
My alpine bow doesn't have that amount of play. I use the Velcro strap to keep the top secure to the alpine bow, not the other way around.

Are you sure it's in all the way? I remember having to hammer it in to get it secure.
Old October 6th, 2013, 12:53 PM
bradleyt09
Brad Taylor
'97 D90 ST

Thanks Sam. The alpine bow just slid right over the extruded metal cylinders on the top of the roll bar. The internal circumferencre of the alpine bow is much larger than the metal extrusions on the roll bar and the screw holes line up but the skinny screw that goes through allows tons of play. It's all secure with the top on, but it is the top that secures the bow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2013, 12:59 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

do not drill holes in your tub you will regret it or the next owner will curse you
Old October 6th, 2013, 01:15 PM
bradleyt09
Brad Taylor
'97 D90 ST

Ron, you must have misunderstood my question. I definitely don't want to make any holes in the tub. I'm asking about covering the existing holes that are present from the factory to receive the hard top. Without the hardtop on, the holes are present.
Old October 6th, 2013, 01:18 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

ah the rivnut holes
no need to cover them there are many more water egresses than that
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Welshgas
Paul Woodsford
2010 90 XS

Why not just fill the holes with some automotive rubber blanking plugs/bungs. Lots of different sizes. eBay is your friend.
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:32 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Just leave it alone...

Old October 7th, 2013, 04:19 PM
bradleyt09
Brad Taylor
'97 D90 ST

Yeah, thanks Scott. I just didn't know what others do when running the ST and wasn't sure if water was a concern in these holes. But as you and Ron both suggested, I guess it's OK to just leave the holes and any water will find its way out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cover