Should I buy this D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 27th, 2004, 06:40 PM
sholcombe
Stuart Holcombe

Should I buy this D90

All,

I've been looking into getting a 90 for a few months now and have been disheartened by their cost. It is hard to spend $20k on a vehicle with 100k miles; however, to add insult to injury I have the chance at a 94 red ST D90 with 16k (that's right 16k) miles for around $32K. I'm curious as to whether or not this community thinks $32K is too high, too low, or just right.

Thanks all,

Stuart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

32k is alot for a 90, even though it only has 16k on the OD, I bet it was or isn't driven a lot. If not driven a lot of problems can develop. You will have to do work on almost any 90 you buy, I say get a cheaper one and keep the extra $$ for repairs.
Old November 27th, 2004, 07:22 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Haggle them, I think you should go for it, make sure it had the R380 transmission..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2004, 08:07 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
I assume you are talking about the red 90 over at Land Rover Cary. I drove by and looked at it this week as I have been home for the Thanksgiving break. It looks very nice and looks to be extremely rust free. But it was dark when I saw it and it was hard for me to see the interior. I agree with Mike and Philip that $32k is too much for a vehicle that is 11 years old now. Too much can go wrong with something that old even if only has 16k miles on the clock. It may have been neglected in some garage for all those years.

FWIW, I bought my rover from Land Rover Cary a year and a half ago. Their sales department is pretty good, but I keep my distance from their service department after an incedent we had with them. If you decide to take a closer look at the red rover, make sure it has the R380 transmission (reverse is bottom-right under 5th, and not top left) like Philip said. Also make sure to take it up to the Rover Club House in Durham and let Luke take a look at it. He'll be able to tell you if it is in $32,000 condition.
Old November 27th, 2004, 08:41 PM
sholcombe
Stuart Holcombe

Great info! thanks.

yep, its the one a land rover cary. I hadn't thought about the fact that note being driven could lead to problems, but that's a good point.

sherpamike,

Tell me more about the Rover Club House. I have some more possible D90s in the area and would love to have a local, knowlegable mechanic that could check them out for me.

Once again, thanks all!
Old November 27th, 2004, 09:30 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

$32k is insane for a 94. No matter what the mileage is. These guys are right about it developing problems if it's not driven. It'll develop problems if it IS driven too. I'd say go with a high mileage 90, and with the money you save, you can fix it when it breaks. And it WILL break. They ALL break.

And I wouldn't buy one from a dealer either. The dealers do NOT have your best interest at heart when it comes to buying and selling vehicles. (Dealers are all about telling a prospective buyer about how great D-90's are, and how they hold their value...blah, blah, blah, and they'll sell used D-90s for @30k+, but when it's time to trade your D-90 in....wah wah...it's only worth $11k...) They want to make money... It's just business. My advice to you...find one online from a private seller, have it checked out by a qualified local mechanic, and go get it. That's what i did. But what the hell do I know?
Old November 27th, 2004, 09:59 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
RCH is top rate I have had my truck there in the past, the only thing bad about it is they are ~80 miles from me round trip. I feel safe to say they wouldnt do you wrong, I was by there a few months ago and there was a C Green ST for sale, a nice looking truck I might add. I have had my truck at Rover Cary before I wasnt incredibly impressed but I cant say anything bad. There is also FLyin Circus motors or something to that effect, they spacielaize in british cars and I think they have an old LR tech there?? The price seems about on par for the dealership I dont think they will budge from that price. Maybe they will throw in a warranty or something since it has such low miles and they are asking so much. I personally wouldnt mind payin for a low milage truck but 32k is a bit steep for a 10 year old truck that leaks is loud etc... I think if I had to do it over I would have tried to of found a high milage truck and put a diesal in blah blah.. Mike D what problems did you have at Rover Cary??

Follow-up Post:

o yeah try that BB at www.carolinarovers.org the Rover Clubhouse guys frequent there.
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Marc Weinstein
Marc Weinstein
defender 90 '94

Most dealers start at over 30k and will easily drop to 25k. Compare any add'l equipment to what's available and blow an offer by the dealer. At the right price you can start fixing it! Good Luck either way. Marc w.
Old November 27th, 2004, 11:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Very low miles cars do demand a premium. Anything under 20k is worth a lot more, under 10k $$$$$.

A 94 with 16k would sell off main line's lot in about a week for 30k assuming it was cosmetically near perfect. Several very low mile 97s sold in the mid 40s. This is of course with all leaks and issues fixed and everything 100%. We sold a 94 with 25k or so for 35k but it was really really nice. Garaged etc.

We were not making that much off these things either. Wholesale on low mile trucks is high too and paying to get them fixed was $$$$.

Ron
Old November 28th, 2004, 01:35 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Remember there ain't very many NAS D90's in this country. Scarcity value always drives prices up; you can't compare their prices to that of vehicles that were imported or produced in much bigger numbers.

Look at what one of the 500 '93 D110's still go for ($$$).
Old November 28th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

94 90's with 100,000 miles or less for $20k or less are out there. Just don't get in a hurry to buy, or it will come back and bite you in the ass. LR dealers are always way overpriced on their defenders, because they have to make money on them. I honestly would be scared to pay the $$$ for a low mileage truck, as it is easy to roll back the odo on 94's, 95's, or replace on 97's.

Chris
Old November 29th, 2004, 04:35 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Ron,
Your right. My 97 had 20 thousand miles on it when i bought it and i paid close to 40 for it. There were others that were easily 42-45K $'s...But if your paying that much for a rare vehicle then you better make sure that its 100% with all the leaks and everything checked out. I guess i got lucky and haven't had many problems with mine. I have replaced a lot of things on it just to make it like new again but have had no major problems that required major service.

With my knowledge of vehicles the dealership doesn't scare me at all....lol..when we were there to sign the papers we went on a final run and it was making a weird noise that the salesman couldn't fix and the service center was closed..Well we jumped in and fixed it right there on the lot for the guy...If you know your stuff don't be scared by the dealership, just be cautious with there games that they will try to play.

Rolling back the Odo is good if its just for your own eyes but i tend to think that you might run into problems when trying to sell your vehicle after messing with the odo, that is if someone were to find out...Just my $0.02

Jason Habbal

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old November 29th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying I am weary of buying a low mileage 90 because of the chance of it already having been done. I wasn't saying that I would roll back mileage.
Old November 29th, 2004, 07:53 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

My fault Chris...I didn't even think about it just took it and ran with it....lol...Not a bad idea if you could get away with it....

Jason

Old November 29th, 2004, 09:54 PM
sholcombe
Stuart Holcombe

Next question, I have a shot at another D-90. This one has 111,xxx miles, factory AC, R380 5 speed, hard top, and safari tip. It seems to be in good shape (I haven't driven it yet). Assuming it is mechanically sound, I'm thinking its probably worth 18 or 19k. Any thoughts?

For those who care, I drove the one down at LRC and its pretty beat up for only having 16k miles.
Old November 30th, 2004, 10:33 AM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

I would think somewhere b/w 18 and 19 would be reasonable but other may beg to differ.....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90