Should I buy one? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:58 AM
Rocky's Avatar
Rocky
Status: Offline
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colonies Aka Boston
Posts: 8,765
What you should do is drive as many defenders as possible.
Don't take your wallet with you. I'm afraid you have decided it's the right vehicle for you without ever having gotten behind the wheel and discovered how basic they are.
Just trying to help you avoid buyers remorse.

Btw car seats and defender 90 just don't go together.
__________________
A friend of mine runs a land rover / range rover specialty repair shop. Based on his experience, they are capable of stopping anywhere, anytime, at any cost.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #42  
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:02 AM
muziq
Status: Offline
Matthew
None
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Siggiewi, Malta
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
What you should do is drive as many defenders as possible.
Don't take your wallet with you. I'm afraid you have decided it's the right vehicle for you without ever having gotten behind the wheel and discovered how basic they are.
Just trying to help you avoid buyers remorse.
I've not actually decided. It's a wish really. I know what you're saying, that the reason why I registered here to ask in the first place though. What do you mean by how basic they are though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Btw car seats and defender 90 just don't go together.
Not sure I understand this. Can you please elaborate?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Paul K's Avatar
Paul K
Status: Online
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: La Grande, Oregon
Posts: 1,696
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziq View Post
Paint eyes? Do people normally do that?
They do on boats- and some cars- or at least they did back in the 70's!

+1 for going to drive a couple of examples. Let us know how it goes!
__________________
Current fleet: '85 Ninety 3.9 V8i Auto SW, two Discovery 1's (one for my Nephew, one for my Niece),'07 BMW 335Xi.
Past Land Rovers: '96 Discovery SD, '00 Range Rover HSE, '04 Discovery SE7, '07 Range Rover HSE, '08 LR3 SE7.
Past fleet: '89 Classic Mini, '83 Porsche 911 SC Coupe, '89 911 Carrera targa, '96 911 Carrera 4, '07 Toyota FJ Cruiser, several Minis.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #44  
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:27 AM
muziq
Status: Offline
Matthew
None
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Siggiewi, Malta
Posts: 24
I'm now at the stage of actually planning out an actual budget with the missus. Irrelevant of what car I get, but I think I'm getting close.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:07 AM
thewap's Avatar
thewap
Status: Offline
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Highmount, NY
Posts: 834
Registry
Look for rust problems on the frame, rear cross member, door bottoms, floorboards, hinges, aluminum corrosion (bubbling in paint), ask for maintenance history records, definitely take a savvy LR friend with you.

Most of us in the US can only dream of TD5s.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Jymmiejamz's Avatar
Jymmiejamz
Status: Offline
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,468
Registry
I would highly recommend a pre-purchase inspection of whatever vehicle you consider buying, even if it isn't a Land Rover.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:29 AM
muziq
Status: Offline
Matthew
None
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Siggiewi, Malta
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I would highly recommend a pre-purchase inspection of whatever vehicle you consider buying, even if it isn't a Land Rover.
That's a rule with every car I plan on buying. But good advice to keep repeating nonetheless

------ Follow up post added January 15th, 2014 04:30 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap View Post
Look for rust problems on the frame, rear cross member, door bottoms, floorboards, hinges, aluminum corrosion (bubbling in paint), ask for maintenance history records, definitely take a savvy LR friend with you.
Will do, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap View Post
Most of us in the US can only dream of TD5s.
Why's that?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:41 AM
thewap's Avatar
thewap
Status: Offline
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Highmount, NY
Posts: 834
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziq View Post
I've not actually decided. It's a wish really. I know what you're saying, that the reason why I registered here to ask in the first place though. What do you mean by how basic they are though?

Not sure I understand this. Can you please elaborate?

Basic as in no creature comforts i.e. - no electric positioning or heated seats, no electric windows, no electric all around locks, no steering column adjustment, etc..etc..

The defenders are utilitarian vehicles hand built like a erector set, which is in the enthusiast's view the beauty of it. A purposeful vehicle that is easy to repair mechanically as well a body parts and riveted panels which are aluminum. Infinitely customizable, and one of the best (if not the best 4x4a ever designed). Although I would argue a more modern TD5 is much more civilized to drive than the old series Land Rovers.

They are however maybe not for the luxury SUV mindset that looks for creature comfort and amenities above all.


In answer to your previous question about TD5's in the USA ; Not allowed to import any Land Rover younger than 25 years old and the TD5 is not an approved EPA engine in the US. The US only allowed gas engined Defenders to be imported in 1995 and 1997.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:50 AM
muziq
Status: Offline
Matthew
None
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Siggiewi, Malta
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap View Post
Basic as in no creature comforts i.e. - no electric positioning or heated seats, no electric windows, no electric all around locks, no steering column adjustment, etc..etc..
Oh, heated seats or electronic positioning in my current car, and don't need them really.
Will get used to no electric windows and the steering column's position. Even if you don't have all round locks, you might be able to install them, but it won't be a deal break either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap View Post
In answer to your previous question about TD5's in the USA ; Not allowed to import any Land Rover younger than 25 years old and the TD5 is not an approved EPA engine in the US.
Well that's a shame. The one I'm interested in is from 2002. So maybe that also helps in the maintenance issues I was concerned about.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:53 AM
thewap's Avatar
thewap
Status: Offline
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Highmount, NY
Posts: 834
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziq View Post
Oh, heated seats or electronic positioning in my current car, and don't need them really.
Will get used to no electric windows and the steering column's position. Even if you don't have all round locks, you might be able to install them, but it won't be a deal break either.


Well that's a shame. The one I'm interested in is from 2002. So maybe that also helps in the maintenance issues I was concerned about.
Land Rover drivetrains - trans, transfer cases, engines are pretty reliable gas or diesel. If maintained religiously they last and last and last.

The Series and Defenders are also infinitely recyclable, you can even buy a galvanized replacement chassi for them. 70% of all series and defenders ever made since 1948 are still on the road. (try that with any other car or truck make).
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old January 15th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Santiago Montenegr's Avatar
Santiago Montenegr
Status: Offline
Santiago Montenegro
98 110 CSW 300 TDi
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Caracas, Venezuela
Posts: 125
Registry
Muziq, I am considering moving to Malta... żDo you know how involved/cost effective would be importing my 1998 Defender there?
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old January 15th, 2014, 02:24 PM
muziq
Status: Offline
Matthew
None
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Siggiewi, Malta
Posts: 24
I'll checkout the gov sites. Where are you coming from?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old January 16th, 2014, 03:09 AM
muziq
Status: Offline
Matthew
None
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Siggiewi, Malta
Posts: 24
Santiago,

I had a look for you but for some odd reason defenders are not listed under Land Rover models :O

http://www.valuation.vehicleregistra...orVehicle.aspx

You could give them a call though.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Group Buy: Gas Tank Skid Plates SlickRockFab The Vendors Loft 53 September 20th, 2004 10:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.


Copyright