Should I buy one? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 15th, 2014, 05:58 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

What you should do is drive as many defenders as possible.
Don't take your wallet with you. I'm afraid you have decided it's the right vehicle for you without ever having gotten behind the wheel and discovered how basic they are.
Just trying to help you avoid buyers remorse.

Btw car seats and defender 90 just don't go together.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2014, 06:02 AM
muziq
Matthew
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
What you should do is drive as many defenders as possible.
Don't take your wallet with you. I'm afraid you have decided it's the right vehicle for you without ever having gotten behind the wheel and discovered how basic they are.
Just trying to help you avoid buyers remorse.
I've not actually decided. It's a wish really. I know what you're saying, that the reason why I registered here to ask in the first place though. What do you mean by how basic they are though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Btw car seats and defender 90 just don't go together.
Not sure I understand this. Can you please elaborate?
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziq View Post
Paint eyes? Do people normally do that?
They do on boats- and some cars- or at least they did back in the 70's!

+1 for going to drive a couple of examples. Let us know how it goes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2014, 08:27 AM
muziq
Matthew
None

I'm now at the stage of actually planning out an actual budget with the missus. Irrelevant of what car I get, but I think I'm getting close.
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:07 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Look for rust problems on the frame, rear cross member, door bottoms, floorboards, hinges, aluminum corrosion (bubbling in paint), ask for maintenance history records, definitely take a savvy LR friend with you.

Most of us in the US can only dream of TD5s.
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I would highly recommend a pre-purchase inspection of whatever vehicle you consider buying, even if it isn't a Land Rover.
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:29 AM
muziq
Matthew
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I would highly recommend a pre-purchase inspection of whatever vehicle you consider buying, even if it isn't a Land Rover.
That's a rule with every car I plan on buying. But good advice to keep repeating nonetheless

------ Follow up post added January 15th, 2014 04:30 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap View Post
Look for rust problems on the frame, rear cross member, door bottoms, floorboards, hinges, aluminum corrosion (bubbling in paint), ask for maintenance history records, definitely take a savvy LR friend with you.
Will do, thanks

Quote:
Most of us in the US can only dream of TD5s.
Why's that?
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:41 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Quote:
I've not actually decided. It's a wish really. I know what you're saying, that the reason why I registered here to ask in the first place though. What do you mean by how basic they are though?

Not sure I understand this. Can you please elaborate?

Basic as in no creature comforts i.e. - no electric positioning or heated seats, no electric windows, no electric all around locks, no steering column adjustment, etc..etc..

The defenders are utilitarian vehicles hand built like a erector set, which is in the enthusiast's view the beauty of it. A purposeful vehicle that is easy to repair mechanically as well a body parts and riveted panels which are aluminum. Infinitely customizable, and one of the best (if not the best 4x4a ever designed). Although I would argue a more modern TD5 is much more civilized to drive than the old series Land Rovers.

They are however maybe not for the luxury SUV mindset that looks for creature comfort and amenities above all.

In answer to your previous question about TD5's in the USA ; Not allowed to import any Land Rover younger than 25 years old and the TD5 is not an approved EPA engine in the US. The US only allowed gas engined Defenders to be imported in 1995 and 1997.
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:50 AM
muziq
Matthew
None

Quote:
Basic as in no creature comforts i.e. - no electric positioning or heated seats, no electric windows, no electric all around locks, no steering column adjustment, etc..etc..
Oh, heated seats or electronic positioning in my current car, and don't need them really.
Will get used to no electric windows and the steering column's position. Even if you don't have all round locks, you might be able to install them, but it won't be a deal break either.

Quote:
In answer to your previous question about TD5's in the USA ; Not allowed to import any Land Rover younger than 25 years old and the TD5 is not an approved EPA engine in the US.
Well that's a shame. The one I'm interested in is from 2002. So maybe that also helps in the maintenance issues I was concerned about.
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:53 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Quote:
Oh, heated seats or electronic positioning in my current car, and don't need them really.
Will get used to no electric windows and the steering column's position. Even if you don't have all round locks, you might be able to install them, but it won't be a deal break either.

Well that's a shame. The one I'm interested in is from 2002. So maybe that also helps in the maintenance issues I was concerned about.
Land Rover drivetrains - trans, transfer cases, engines are pretty reliable gas or diesel. If maintained religiously they last and last and last.

The Series and Defenders are also infinitely recyclable, you can even buy a galvanized replacement chassi for them. 70% of all series and defenders ever made since 1948 are still on the road. (try that with any other car or truck make).
Old January 15th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Santiago Montenegr
Santiago Montenegro
98 110 CSW 300 TDi

Registry
Muziq, I am considering moving to Malta... żDo you know how involved/cost effective would be importing my 1998 Defender there?
Old January 15th, 2014, 02:24 PM
muziq
Matthew
None

I'll checkout the gov sites. Where are you coming from?
Old January 16th, 2014, 03:09 AM
muziq
Matthew
None

Santiago,

I had a look for you but for some odd reason defenders are not listed under Land Rover models :O

http://www.valuation.vehicleregistra...orVehicle.aspx

You could give them a call though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions