Should have not opened the hood. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 21st, 2014, 10:50 PM
97 Defender 130 double cab
Should have not opened the hood.

Hey guys, well I was driving home with the defender 300tdi with about 26000km on it, on my way to a Easter gathering and well driving down my temp started to rise, but only on a crosswind and when it was struggling against the wind.
Now with that it mind its also -3 and snowing and I have never checked to see how clean rad is but I could see through it not to bad, also I had my new Hella lights on my bumper in front of my rad, I don't know if that's a issue with anyone else but anyway, I had to stop and I thought well maybe it will go down, never did so I shut it off and popped the hood, seeing that most of my antifreeze was leaking around the reservoir cap, NOT TIGHT, but tight enough I thought, so I removed the plug on the thermostat for the head and filled it up with ditch water, then filled up the reservoir then tightened the shit out of the cap and continued on my way there 2 hours later I arrived with no problems. Then we drained the antifreeze again
and filled everything up, I left came home after about half hour on road into a cross wind the temp started to rise again, So I stopped opened the reservoir cap till it stopped barking out, then took out plug on thermostat, steam came out so I was thinking air locked but then I filled head And reservoir again and removed my lights and had heater on hole time as well. truck ran fine on way home about 5 hour drive, on hills temp would rise up over half and stay, then when not working it would drop to normal. Seemed to heat up when turbo was working hard.

So I got home and started to dig I removed my thermostat and found it worked .And then removed rad and inter cooler and noticed I had a lot of oil staining behind my inter cooler found out one of the core tubes was dented so bad it was cut and leaking oil.
I thought Hmm Oil in my Inter cooler WTF , so I removed hoses and it was dripping out, so I thought Hmm, Turbo seals? must be. Also I'm thinking head gasket must be causing heating, issues I will Keep ya all posted.
I know it could be alot of things but I figure I will do the head gasket anyway do to the turbo being right there. Also does anyone know of a quality head gasket or turbo seals or should a guy buy new turbo.... are they all the same? is there better quality ones ? Should I get a radiator or inter cooler like a allisport one? is it worth it. I'm keeping it the same Land Rover tested it, it worked leave it alone kinda guy but does anyone else have issues like me too?

Old May 12th, 2014, 11:55 PM
Chris Scott
None (had a 95 110 ex-mod)
hope you got this sorted. it ain't unheard of to have oil collecting in the intercooler pipes: some guys put catch cans in the system to allow a drain periodically. I have limited experience on turbos though: my 200 tdi use to always have a little oil blow by the turbo and into the piping.

BTW, am going to try to PM you.

------ Follow up post added May 12th, 2014 11:02 PM ------

Besides sorting the oil blowby, check the fan clutch or electric fan controller, depending what you have. if there is air in the coolant, that could be the lock, as you noted. I wouldn't guess head gasket just yet. if you do the head gasket, make sure you get the right thickness of gasket. there are several for 200tdis. 300s might be similar. water pump okay?

just some thoughts...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions