Should electric fan be automatic? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 7th, 2013, 04:11 PM
itch
Itch Smith
95 d90

Should electric fan be automatic?

95 D90 inches up to the red-zone on the temp gauge while plowing through sand or muck and really working the engine on hot days. It also does so if I leave it idling in 90+ temps. Everything has been recently overhauled including the electric fan. My question is, should the fan kick-in at some threshold? It only turns on now when the A/C is switched-on. I seem to recall that prior to the overhaul the old electric unit did come on automatically when the temp started climbing. IF so, then is there an easy way to get it back to being automatic without installing a separate switch and relay?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There is a switch to turn it on, but it is at a high temperature. The engine driven fan should be controlling the temperature. I would make sure your viscous unit is locking up.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 8th, 2013, 09:21 AM
itch
Itch Smith
95 d90

Thanks.

Viscous is relatively new. Is the switch easily accessible and what sensor is it tied to? - Did not see one. Should it kick in right at the "red" zone? I let the truck get right up to the red before I shut it down - no fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2013, 09:40 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
The electric fan is only to assist with the AC .... it's not going to do much to prevent overheating on the engine.

Check you radiator is good ( even temp hot and bottom ) and that your system pressurizes and doesn't have an air lock. Also check the thermostat to make sure it opens ... after that you are probably looking at a faulty head gasket.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by itch View Post
95 D90 inches up to the red-zone on the temp gauge while plowing through sand or muck and really working the engine on hot days. It also does so if I leave it idling in 90+ temps. Everything has been recently overhauled including the electric fan. My question is, should the fan kick-in at some threshold? It only turns on now when the A/C is switched-on. I seem to recall that prior to the overhaul the old electric unit did come on automatically when the temp started climbing. IF so, then is there an easy way to get it back to being automatic without installing a separate switch and relay?

Thank you.
I just had this discussion last week with Peter @ J.White's in Framingham.
Peter was shocked to see that I was running a 100% manual switch with an electric Kenlowe puller fan with stock radiator and 300Tdi. I have never used the fan (only to make sure it still works) and the temp never gets to halfway, just hovers slightly below halfway. We checked with an infrared and it was between 180-190 at the head (which is where its supposed to be).

It may depend on your engine and cooling system, but the point here is that Peter had a pretty solid solution for an automatic switch for the electric fan. I simply don't see the need for it in my case. I have never come close to overheating and shoudl I ever really stress the motor by towing longances or crawling through sand when it's 100 degrees, I'll definately be vigilant of the gauge.

Find Peter at J.Whites in Framingham (508) 872-4752.
Again, my setup is much different than yours but an automatic electric fan setup is pretty simple to set up properly regardless of your type of engine.
Old July 8th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If you are overheating, something is wrong. Check that the viscous unit is locking up. Take a rolled up newspaper and carefully try and stop it when the engine is in the red. It should not be able to stop.

Is the radiator hot? This is to make sure the thermostat and water pump are functioning.

I'm not that familiar with the V8 setup, but the switch should be after the thermostat for the pusher fans.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 8th, 2013, 11:19 AM
itch
Itch Smith
95 d90

Thanks guys. Since the radiator, fan, pump are new and the they are pumping and working, I am going to go with the viscous coupling and see what happens.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fan