Shot In The Dark...Anyone on Martha's Vineyard, MA? Starting issues... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 27th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Napalmed
Nate
1994 D-90

Shot In The Dark...Anyone on Martha's Vineyard, MA? Starting issues...

First post...been a lurker...now I am scratching my head...

The '94 here started/ran fine for several days (not driven as it has been without a clutch slave...about to swap that in). And now it just turns over...no firing...

I believe this fix is an easy one, but my time available to sort it out is limited.(I live in VA, but the '94 D-90 I am trying to resurect is up in MA)

I am pretty sure it is one of the fuel pump relays.(there are 2, yes?) About 10 months ago I replaced only one (that was all NAPA had).

Now: With relays in same positions(connectors)and with the key in position 2, I still get the fuel pump kicking on. I try to start and it's only turning over.

I then switch the NAPA relay (which was on the 'blue connector') with the Bosch relay(to the blue) and get no fuel pump noise, and when I turn the key back to position 1, get an angry noise from the relay(s).

Tells me the Bosch relay is dead, yes?

I realize the NAPA relay is not 100% correct (battery drain). I am about to head off island in less than 48 hours(it's Thursday afternoon!) and was hoping to find a D-90 gearhead out here who can lend a helping hand. No real way to order a couple of the true Bosch relays and get them to arrive before I leave. Anyone on MV who I can borrow/buy a spare relay(s) from so I can straighten this out?

***Edit:
I switched ignition control modules(I believe this is the proper term for it... mounts next to the ignitoin coil)...no difference. Have a spare...***

This poor '94 has sat neglected for too long...just trying to do my part in bringing it back to speed! About to go put the new slave cylinder in now...
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2010, 06:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Try Rover Special Vehicles in Jamestown RI (not far from you on the mainland).

65 North Road
Jamestown, RI 02835-1433
(401) 423-0121
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You can just a jumper to "short" the relay, look at the diagram and figure it out (I never bothered as I have always have had spares around), but I would agree almost certianly is the relay.
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Napalmed
Nate
1994 D-90

I need a good diagram to figure out how to the short. But I am not a fan of doing electrical anything on a car (I realize not many are...).

Topping off the likely blown relay is when I went to put in the new slave cylinder, the clutch release arm was moving all too freely. Was merely looking to put the retaining clip and shaft in when it popped back with no effort. Something just isn't right about that.

I will look into the Rover Special Vehicles...They do seem to be the closest Defender specific shop. I'm not too sure if there is anyone I can trust on the island to swap in a new clutch (if the trans needs to be dropped given the new revelation on the release arm)... I would like to be able to drive it to a shop for further work...the ego takes a hit when it needs a lengthy tow... But being on the remoteness of Chappaquiddick, tools & parts are not just a quick drive down the street.

This 90 is #382 from 1994. It's seen the good, the bad and the ugly. Just trying to get it to see some good again!

Thanks for the tips.
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:28 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

diagram is imprinted on the top of the relay, I believe.
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:52 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Screw ego, do you have a AAA card? Members get free towing to wherever from wherever. If you upgrade to platinum or whatever the distance is like 200 miles and you get as many tows as you want. I think all on this board would agree it is tool box item number 1, followed by Guiness, although some would strenuously argue in favor of reversing the order.

That said, I don't know what kind of safety interlocks they built into these things but surely you must be able to bump start it in gear with the starter motor, yes? Once going you just need to match engine revs and try to snick the thing from one gear to the other without clutching; another skill that is Land Rover specific but handy in any event.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 28th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Napalmed
Nate
1994 D-90

Guinness 1st...with some whiskey. I could use some.

The throwout bearing is somehow 'gone' given the lever is moving freely...bad news. Not sure I would want to travel the 80 miles or so...with 2 ferries to ride on...trying to get bump starts on flat surfaces and drive without the clutch. A whole lot to deal with. Especially as I am leary it is really road/highway worthy in its current state...

I do have free towing available through my insurance...but only to a certain distance. I have to come back to the island and sort this out.

It's been a love/hate with this truck over it's history... I'm just trying to show it some love again and it's bitting me in the ass so far. Once I figure out the next steps...if it's a matter of restoration or what have you...I'll be posting more.

Thanks.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:07 AM
LFORGUE8
Lucas Forgue
2011 Rangie

NAPA SELLS THE CORRECT RELAY Napa relay AR-274......JUMP THE TERMINALS 30 AND 87 I THINK AND IT SHOULD FIRE UP...SOUNDS LIKE THE ECU RELAY IS BAD SINCE YOU HAVE FUEL PUMP OPERATION

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, starting, vin