short total electrical power loss while driving - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 30th, 2013, 06:41 AM
klim1981
Kim
Defender Td5 2001

short total electrical power loss while driving

Hi,

I am struggling with a problem I can't solve on my own.
While driving sometimes the dash and engine goes completely dead for a split second and continues normally again.
On some days when I try to by turning the key the alarm start to shout and there are sometimes days everything will stay completely dead. No light nothing like the battery is dead for years.
It is not due to warm or cold temperature. Long or short distance driving. I have really no clue.
If there is power, starting is not a problem at all. But as I said sometimes even during driving every thing goes black for a split second and then back to normal.

You guys have any idea where to begin?

Thanks
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2013, 07:03 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by klim1981 View Post
Hi,

I am struggling with a problem I can't solve on my own.
While driving sometimes the dash and engine goes completely dead for a split second and continues normally again.
On some days when I try to by turning the key the alarm start to shout and there are sometimes days everything will stay completely dead. No light nothing like the battery is dead for years.
It is not due to warm or cold temperature. Long or short distance driving. I have really no clue.
If there is power, starting is not a problem at all. But as I said sometimes even during driving every thing goes black for a split second and then back to normal.

You guys have any idea where to begin?

Thanks
Kim

Check your battery leads, ground, check for loose starter(solenoid?) connection.
Old November 30th, 2013, 07:29 AM
klim1981
Kim
Defender Td5 2001

Battery leads ok, but where/how do I check the grounds?
Thanks for your reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for your reply.
Follow the negative battery cable. Also, look around under the hood for more wires that are bolted to the engine and bode or chassis.
Old November 30th, 2013, 09:07 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for your reply.
Check the negative cable. It's the black cable from the battery to the frame/motor.

My suggestion is not to drive the truck until you find your issue. You can end up with a bigger mess if left unattended.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 30th, 2013, 09:29 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I was thinking that the ignition switch is starting to die... can you wiggle/bump the key while its running to re-create it?

Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:16 AM
D110
Jamie
1955 107

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
I was thinking that the ignition switch is starting to die... can you wiggle/bump the key while its running to re-create it?
x2 - sounds like the ignition switch to me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical, vin