short total electrical power loss while driving - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old November 30th, 2013, 06:41 AM
klim1981
Status: Offline
Kim
Defender Td5 2001
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sassenheim
Posts: 2
short total electrical power loss while driving

Hi,

I am struggling with a problem I can't solve on my own.
While driving sometimes the dash and engine goes completely dead for a split second and continues normally again.
On some days when I try to by turning the key the alarm start to shout and there are sometimes days everything will stay completely dead. No light nothing like the battery is dead for years.
It is not due to warm or cold temperature. Long or short distance driving. I have really no clue.
If there is power, starting is not a problem at all. But as I said sometimes even during driving every thing goes black for a split second and then back to normal.

You guys have any idea where to begin?

Thanks
Kim
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old November 30th, 2013, 07:03 AM
thewap's Avatar
thewap
Status: Offline
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Highmount, NY
Posts: 834
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by klim1981 View Post
Hi,

I am struggling with a problem I can't solve on my own.
While driving sometimes the dash and engine goes completely dead for a split second and continues normally again.
On some days when I try to by turning the key the alarm start to shout and there are sometimes days everything will stay completely dead. No light nothing like the battery is dead for years.
It is not due to warm or cold temperature. Long or short distance driving. I have really no clue.
If there is power, starting is not a problem at all. But as I said sometimes even during driving every thing goes black for a split second and then back to normal.

You guys have any idea where to begin?

Thanks
Kim

Check your battery leads, ground, check for loose starter(solenoid?) connection.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 30th, 2013, 07:29 AM
klim1981
Status: Offline
Kim
Defender Td5 2001
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sassenheim
Posts: 2
Battery leads ok, but where/how do I check the grounds?
Thanks for your reply.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old November 30th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Jymmiejamz's Avatar
Jymmiejamz
Status: Offline
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,468
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by klim1981 View Post
Battery leads ok, but where/how do I check the grounds?
Thanks for your reply.
Follow the negative battery cable. Also, look around under the hood for more wires that are bolted to the engine and bode or chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 30th, 2013, 09:07 AM
The Dro
Status: Offline
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,682
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by klim1981 View Post
Battery leads ok, but where/how do I check the grounds?
Thanks for your reply.
Check the negative cable. It's the black cable from the battery to the frame/motor.

My suggestion is not to drive the truck until you find your issue. You can end up with a bigger mess if left unattended.
__________________
Mine is NTO... It was new, Now I'm Taking it Off.
Quote:
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 30th, 2013, 09:29 AM
navydevildoc's Avatar
navydevildoc
Status: Offline
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,586
Registry
I was thinking that the ignition switch is starting to die... can you wiggle/bump the key while its running to re-create it?
__________________
"It doesn't swoop, curve, or look like it's going fast when it's parked. It never looks like it's going fast. It doesn't go fast." - Richard Hammond, BBC Top Gear


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:16 AM
D110
Status: Offline
Jamie
1955 107
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 110
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
I was thinking that the ignition switch is starting to die... can you wiggle/bump the key while its running to re-create it?
x2 - sounds like the ignition switch to me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical, vin

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
300 Tdi Egt Q?????? Buckon37s Defender Technical Discussions 37 July 11th, 2012 11:26 AM
HS2.8TGV Severe power loss. Air in fuel line? DesertRat Defender Technical Discussions 12 February 24th, 2007 08:35 AM
Total Cut Out, No Power gtg067i Defender Technical Discussions 8 May 22nd, 2006 02:18 PM
Power Radio Antenna Kimos Defender Technical Discussions 0 October 21st, 2004 08:45 PM
Electrical short with my radio ? paulb Defender Technical Discussions 4 August 11th, 2004 12:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 PM.


Copyright