Shopping next Week (Los Angeles) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 8th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Suppatime
Drew Suppa
None (yet)

Shopping next Week (Los Angeles)

Anybody on here from the greater LA area want to help me out?

I found a Defender for sale in Pasadena that I want to check out, but as I'm new to these trucks, I'd like a more experienced second opinion for engine/chassis.

The truck I found is a 1964 Series II that has been updated with all 1994 Defender 90 parts. Looks like a good job from the photos I've seen, with minimal frame rust or body damage. If it runs well, I think it's my new ride.

As I live in California, anything I need to worry about considering it's a diesel RHD? My thoughts are... if it's already registered here in SoCal (registered PNO), wouldn't it already be legal in this state to make it operational again? And without smog because it's older than 1974?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, gents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2010, 02:14 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

I think the cutoff for smog testing a diesel is 96 so anything older is fine (as long as the title says it's a diesel) you can check the dmv website for the exact...

which diesel engine is in it? Are you looking for someone to go and check it out for you?
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Suppatime
Drew Suppa
None (yet)

Looking for someone to go with me next week. I have a pretty strong background in cars/trucks, but as I'm new to Defenders (other than appreciating them), I'd like someone more knowledgable to join me as I'd most likely miss issues other than rust, leaks, brakes, clutch, etc.

I got some more information: the vehicle is in fact a 1963 SWB Land Rover that has been rebuilt with 1994 Defender 90 parts. I don't yet know which diesel or tranny is inside, or anything other than the motor has been rebuilt as necessary (gaskets, seals, timing belt). Chassis/engine mileage is also unknown. The body looks straight from the photos I've seen so far. Undercarriage rust appears to be surface only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2010, 09:52 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Coil sprung?
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:36 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

drew post some pics
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:51 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post
drew post some pics
Yes please. This sounds very interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:57 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

depending on day/time I'd be happy to go along with you... I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I do know my '94 300tdi fairly well...

not sure how much I can add if you have a "strong background" but I may be able to spot what's updated with the '94 parts and what's still series (just 'cause it's different from mine)

you should post the pics you have though... people here could probably tell you a lot just from the pictures...
Old July 8th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Suppatime
Drew Suppa
None (yet)

My background is with sports cars... I'm a newbie to the diesel world and Land Rover in general, although I've long appreciated them.

I called the owner; truck actually resides in Big Bear. Most parts are from a 1994 D90, though title and vin reflect the original 1963. Motor is a rebuilt and maintained 2.5 NA, with a rebuild having occurred in the last 10 years and bearings, gaskets and seals being done in the last 2. Truck looks solid but needs some TLC.

No clue on mileage; parts came from Nicaragua and she starts right up and gets "over 20mpg" though nothing specific was disclosed.

------ Follow up post added July 8th, 2010 12:54 PM ------

Also, LT77 tranny, hardtop. Not sure on lift.

Kind of concerned with the DMV if title is a '63 but body/interior/engine are 94. Any Cali residents, feel free to chime in. Registered Non Operational already with CA plates.

Can't post photos from my phone. Thanks for bearing with me... working in Vegas until Sunday...
Old July 8th, 2010, 04:20 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

I presume if it's already been reg'd here then you should have no problems when you own it. I think it needs to be legal in CA for the seller to even sell it to you. I could be wrong though. A quick call to the DMV will answer all your questions I'm sure. Good Luck.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:29 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

[QUOTE=Suppatime;229812]

Kind of concerned with the DMV if title is a '63 but body/interior/engine are 94. Any Cali residents, feel free to chime in. Registered Non Operational already with CA plates.

QUOTE]

Okay, since you asked...
I think your concern is warranted.
Granted, it can't be accurately discerned from the limited description provided, but... if it looks like a VIN swap, and quacks like a VIN swap, then...

Why take the risk on a truck with questionable provenance?
Old July 9th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Suppatime
Drew Suppa
None (yet)

[QUOTE=GYM;229861]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suppatime View Post
Okay, since you asked...
I think your concern is warranted.
Granted, it can't be accurately discerned from the limited description provided, but... if it looks like a VIN swap, and quacks like a VIN swap, then...

Why take the risk on a truck with questionable provenance?
Because the price is right and the majority of things I would have done to it are already done. I don't have a lot of cash to throw into a project, and it's already 85% done where I'd want it to be.

Hence more research.

I'll call the DMV when I get the VIN... but as said above, it is already registered non-op here in CA with CA plates.

I've heard horror stories about VIN swaps, but don't know much about the consequences... are impounding and crushing with no hope of return true?
Old July 9th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You will go to the DMV and roll the dice. It's a roll. There are no guarantees. Make sure that the vin matches the paperwork and matches the bill of sale and existing registration. Chances are high (very?) that you will get idiots that will stamp it, send you to inspection, and on your way. My inspector asked me how I can prove its a Diesel! Lol. But you can also get flagged, go to HP inspection, and get caught.

If you get caught, don't go to inspection, go to another DMV. Seriously. They don't communicate. If you want to PM me I can give you a lot more details.

Cheers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 9th, 2010, 03:01 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
You will go to the DMV and roll the dice. It's a roll. There are no guarantees. Make sure that the vin matches the paperwork and matches the bill of sale and existing registration. Chances are high (very?) that you will get idiots that will stamp it, send you to inspection, and on your way. My inspector asked me how I can prove its a Diesel! Lol. But you can also get flagged, go to HP inspection, and get caught.

If you get caught, don't go to inspection, go to another DMV. Seriously. They don't communicate. If you want to PM me I can give you a lot more details.

Cheers
This is true. The DMV inspectors aren't that brite, at least in my experience...I agree that there is a high chance that you'll be ok, esp. since it's already reg'd in CA with CA plates.

Also, the people inside don't do much checking of the paperwork if it looks to be in order...you can write whatever you want, even the price you paid...

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old July 9th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I'm down to help out I'm in South Pasadena.

Robert Deniro
Old July 9th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

If it's the one on ebay, it has the series tub at the very least.
Old July 9th, 2010, 09:53 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
If it's the one on ebay, it has the series tub at the very least.
I think that one is from NJ, no? The yellow one?
Old July 9th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Diese...item45f3c7180c

Ended today without the reserve met.
Old July 10th, 2010, 07:17 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Looks like a half way decent Euro Spec 90...
Old August 6th, 2010, 05:30 PM
rusty james
Rob
95 D90 SW

Owner says it's a 94 D90 originally sold new in Guatemala. Claims the 2.25 NA diesel/LT77 was factory standard in trucks going to third world countries as they are very basic and easy to work on in remote areas.(no electrical/ecu issues). Truck was driven to California and registered as a 1963 series 2A. Looks like a clean coil sprung LHD 90 with no corrosion. What do you guys think is a fair price for this truck? A
Old August 6th, 2010, 05:41 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Just remember that if you purchase it you are buying into the lie and the liability that will always come with it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions